View Single Post
Unread 10-17-2009, 01:55 AM   #40
gotalkvoip

gotalkvoip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
Optional settings, steps 1 - 4:
Sometimes its preferable to operate the ATA independently of a STUN server. The benefit is that phone service can continue no matter if the STUN server is working. See steps 1 to 4 below.

1. Forward the SIP ports and the RTP port range from the router to the ATA.
2. Set "STUN Enable:" no
3. Set "NAT Keep Alive Enable:" no
4. The ATA must learn it's public IP address, either through normal SIP registration, or place your public IP address in the 'EXT IP:' field).
Have followed your first step to use STUN and NAT

Im guessing these settings are primarily for ATA connected to a firewall router for the ATA to learn public IP address,.

Followed all steps the ATA has always registered,. note the ATA is connected to a VSP not voxalot so I have not bothered yet with failback implemation as there isnt any for the VSP as Voxalot has

Anyway the router is connected to an ISP with STATIC address so followed your last instructions, so not using NAT or STUN but have chosen your last 4 steps and have set the EXT IP: as the static public IP

so far VSP is still registering within ATA, shall do the same eventually with my Voxalot ATA registered ATA

Noticed one thing ATA states always the internal address i.e. 192.168.0.1
I'm guessing thats normal,

so hope ATA has learnt it's public IP address

ps: one question,. you stated

1. Forward the SIP ports and the RTP port range from the router to the ATA

im guessing this not a setting, as I cant find it anywhere

EDIT: actually there is a line in status showing external IP address (which shows correct IP address

Also this ATA using the VSP as registration is primarily to forwarding my local DID number to my mobile

and I noticed call quality seems better on call forwarding but I'm sure these settings would have no effect on call quality when using ATA's call forward feature (i.e under user tab), guessing it only effects quality on calls made out from ATA,. (but maybe it does as im not an expert when playing around with these type of settings )

Also just a question on:
Register Expires:
Proxy Fallback Intvl:

Suggested settings for my VSP is: 240 Seconds
Suggested settings for Voxalot is:3600 Seconds

Wondering anything wrong having these settings lower for registration I gather shorter registrations would mean more data use to my ISP (which isn't an issue) but wouldn't having lower times also help to reduce failed registration intervals?

or having lower settings wont agree with my VSP or Voxalot??

I understand if Ans or Make Call Without Reg: set to YES will ignore failed registrations anyway, though I have two ATA's using the same voxalot account and one is set to Ans Call Without Reg: set to YES and one ATA to NO: so only one of the ATA's will ring while the other doesn't i.e the one that doesn't ring is set to not to register: No and Ans Call Without Reg: NO,

Also just trying to understand Proxy Fallback Intvl: Ive noticed you always match that to Register Expires: time any reason for that?

I would thought once registration Expires: fails then the Proxy Fallback Intvl: kicks in at set time i.e for VSP 240 seconds later or its the difference of the two that determines when the Fallback Intvl: kicks in,. i.e zero seconds,. but if not would it be more ideal to set Fallback Intvl: at 1 second or even zero,. just wondering on how this process works, im guessing its the difference times of the two

again really thanks for your input on all this waiting for your reply then all play next around with the Voxalot's failover implementation on your earlier steps for the Voxalot setup ATA I have

cheerz

Last edited by gotalkvoip; 10-17-2009 at 03:27 AM.
gotalkvoip is offline   Reply With Quote