View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Dodgy

Dodgy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeFFJuH View Post
I live in The Netherlands, and I am using a 16 Mbit down/1.5 Mbit up cable connection.

I have my computers and VoIP phone connected to a Linksys WRT54G v2.2 using the Open Source firmware "Tomato" (Firmware | polarcloud.com)

This firmware comes with limited, but pretty nice QoS functionality. My experience with this is that I can use my connection for 100%, without my VoIP service being disturbed in any way.

My ISP is also offering a "Voice over Cable" service, which is just plain VoIP being offered over cable. My parents are using this service, which is also pretty nice to use. All QoS for this service is being handled from inside my cable modem (Motorola SURFboard).

I think QoS from your ISP side is nice, but I don't think they should let you pay any extra for that. If any of you have a WRT54G(L) router, I would recommend trying the Tomato firmware.

I have noticed that comparing network infastructure betweein N.America, Europe and Pan-Asia, Europeans and Pan-Asians have it way better. I'm in Western Canada and the network is pretty solid, all major backbones through the ISP I use are fibre, Core Private line OC192, OC48, the more remote areas use microwave OC48or wired equivalent. But once outside that network any VOIP traffic is as the mercy of what ever provider the traffic routes through. Also with a larger geographical presence it's far more expensive to impliment higher broadband speeds. My connection currently is 10Mbit down 1Mbit up cable connection. Someday I would like to see FTTH or at least some of the better connection rates that Europeans and others in Pan-Asia see but geography does play a bit part over here.

I will agree with you on the QOS, but it was primarily implemented due to VOIP providers squarely pointing the finger at Shaw stating it was their problem, even though the burden of proof showed that the traffic on their network was passing fine and the issue was at the voip servers in the eastern US bogging down. Currently for phone I am using the Shaw packetcable system and it works without a hitch, I also have a standard POTS line in the house for my g/f.

I have used several routers, my favorite now being an older but incredibly robust ASUS WL500G with firmware by a fellow named Oleg.
Dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote