View Single Post
Unread 04-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
pmerrill

pmerrill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DracoFelis
Pretty much any VoIP provider could add ENUM to their service, if they chose to do so. But many still don't for some reason (although the numbers that do use ENUM are slowing rising). So for the time being, using some ENUM enabled service (such as SIP Broker or VoXaLot) is the easiest way for most users to dial e164.org numbers.

NOTE:
It's possible to get "customer owned" equipment that will do e164.org/ENUM lookups directly, without going through any VoIP service to dial ENUM. For example, the open source http://www.asterisk.org IP-PBX, has direct "built-in" support for ENUM. So with the right equipment, you can do the ENUM lookups directly (and then just have your VoIP equipment make the direct "peer to peer" call shown in the ENUM database). It's just that most "end users" find it easier to use a service like VoXaLot (to make the ENUM calls), than to have to get/use fully ENUM enabled VoIP equipment...
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the problem of inbound DID always appears then. In order to use Voxalot I need to register with Voxalot and then SIPME cannot route calls made to my DID. What I need to somehow do is register with SIPME and route calls to Voxalot, which then can route calls back to the "best" provider, which could include SIPME. Unfortunately, that means that Voxalot would need to provide some other means of identifying me other than me registering with them.

Asterisk is a great solution but I don't want to run a PC all day and night. That's why my router's there.

I guess I'll wait until the industry matures a bit and these problems sort themselves out.
pmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote