View Single Post
Unread 03-18-2008, 01:38 AM   #4
craig

craig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the rough

Hmm... it is a bit hard to tell from here, however, my best guess would be that there is a problem with the snom's DNS handling.

Whether you connect via IP address or hostname shouldn't matter. The client (the snom, in this case) resolves the hostname into the IP address and from that point on, everything should be exactly the same. All I can presume is that for some reason, the snom is having trouble resolving the au.voxalot.com hostname into an IP address.

I am not a networking expert, but the timeouts that you see in the traceroutes should be immaterial... AFAIK, it is normal for some hops to drop ICMP packets. When you actually connect using TCP or UDP, it should blast on through.

I once had a situation where my PC was not resolving some hostnames, and eventually my ISP owned up to their DNS server having problems. Perhaps you are suffering from similar symptoms - although, you mentioned that you had tried several different DNS servers. Weird!

I will check with Mart to see if there is anything slightly different with the way the au.voxalot.com DNS settings are set up.

--
Craig
craig is offline   Reply With Quote