View Single Post
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartspeace View Post
I see vonyage doesnt' seem to work and broadvoice doesnt. DO any of them work?

Which ones?

HP
In general the following are going to give you grief with VoXalot:

Netvoip.ch
VoipMais
BroadVoice
megafone.hu
Oriunde.com
VBuzzer
Keyyo.net

I guess I should add Vonage there too....

The issue is that most of these providers either are proprietary in the type of connection they expect (eg. Vonage may only be expecting their own softphone), or are restrictive in how they have implemented the SIP protocol...

This last part is usually the case that causes most problems...

In general when your register a SoftPhone, ATA,or your own Home Asterisk server with any provider, by default all the provider needs to do is to send calls to:

UsernameWithProvider@RegisteredIP.com

Now with services like VoXalot/SipSorcery (and PBXes to a degree), because a single (or group of) server(s) host many users, the services make use of a little part of the SIP implementation that says that the registration server can specify the 'register to' adress. VoXalot asks your providers to send all calls to

VoxalotUsername@RegisteredIP.com

The trick of course is, has the provider implemented their SIP Instance to the letter, so as to accept this request. If they have then it works, if they haven't then it doesn't.

Some providers just don't have it implemented, not because they don't want to...but because it just never crossed their mind that someone may need this feature...unfortunately getting them to patch entire servers for a single (or a few) customer(s) sometime is next to impossible.

An easy way to test if this is the only issue:
Can you make outgoing calls without registering? If you can make outgoing calls, but you can't get it registered (or worse it reports as registerd but calls do not ring in) then this is likely the issue...
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote