View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #24
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray73 View Post
way to complicated.... people want simple. simple=DID
I don't want to buy another sim card or set up call backs etc... I (the proverbial I meaning we) just want something as simple as dialing a number to use our SIP rates from ANY phone. I'll not saying lose the web callback feature because it has it's functions. I'm just saying introducing this would facilitate mobile calls to anywhere, anytime, anyplace...
I'm sorry if this will sound argumentative, but what you are suggesting is also complicated. You've said you're going to call this DID number and access your SIP rates, perhaps via a choice of providers you've registered with Voxalot ...

But there are parts of this that you still refuse to explain. Most of all, how much are you going to pay to call this access number? - it certainly is not free

Let's say you're in a hotel that tells you outgoing calls cost 25 cents a minute - what call do you make to where that means you make the best use of your VoIP rate of 2 cents a minute? I say either use callback that costs you 4 cents a minute, or a calling card that costs maybe 10c, but I don't see how you can get below 27c aggregate cost.

From a mobile, if you don't want to use a different SIM when abroad, then with a couple of exceptions like Vodafone Passport you're either restricting yourself to roaming tariffs or accepting that you won't use it at all.

You can't magically call a local number and get your VoIP tariff to anywhere from anywhere - well you can but this access call when roaming might cost you €1 or more per minute

If someone asked for advice when visiting Europe, I'd say get a local SIM if visiting only one country, or one of several global ones with free roaming in many countries. It depends on the balance of outgoing and incoming call charges. In some countries there are mvno SIMs with pretty cheap direct-dialled int'l calls; in others you'd use callthrough via a freephone or local number while for some you'd be best off using callback.

But if it's all too complicated to go into getting another SIM, then you are losing the chance to make mobile calls for 10 or 20 cents per minute, even less in some cases (2c or 8c is cheapest), and no local DID can help you unless you have cheap roaming (but if you do have Vodafone Passport, you might as well call home as the local number - same price)

Quote:
p.s. how do you suppose a callback to a hotel room ext. would work??? At best, if the hotel doesn't have a auto attendant answering calls, MAYBE you'll get lucky enough to have the front desk answer which would just hang the call up anyway...
Chat up the receptionist in a quiet moment and say your family want to call you, and it will save them bother if they can tell you the direct incoming number. I and plenty of friends have done it, usually for that reason. Not everywhere has a phone number for each room, but most do (if there is a phone!). And then callback is possible at VoIP tariffs ...

I feel like I've said too much on the subject and become boring, even to myself. Carry on lobbying for this callthrough arrangement if you wish, but I doubt it will be as useful as you hope
andy is offline   Reply With Quote