View Single Post
Unread 06-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #13
Grahame

Grahame is on a distinguished road

This is also happening to me in France but is sporadic. Sometimes we get a few days of "phantom" calls and then they stop. The time frame is different though, it's usually around midday/early afternoon.

There are no instances of missed calls in any of my Providers call logs or indeed in France Telecoms answering service on the PSTN line connected via the ATA.

Some things which may help:

I had the ATA in the DMZ for a period when these "calls" were at their worst. Putting the ATA back behind the firewall certainly helped.

Re booting my whole system i.e modem/router, ATA and two PC's ( in that order ) on a regular basis also helps, although it's a pain.

Telling Telemarketers to take my PSTN number off their database. These companies use auto dial out systems which the operators often fail to answer on connect.

My own view for what's it's worth on the cause of problem is:

My system is receiving something on the WAN side which it interprets as a voice call. Perhaps malicious Internet traffic ?.

My system, particularly the modem/router and ATA and the overall quality of the ADSL service, are generating errors interpreted as voice traffic.

Nuisance/malicious traffic on the PSTN line

I'm changing my whole set up shortly so it will be interesting to see if this problem goes away.

Best regards

Grahame
Grahame is offline   Reply With Quote