View Single Post
Unread 05-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
gambrinus

gambrinus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to gambrinus Send a message via MSN to gambrinus Send a message via Skype™ to gambrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140 View Post
The problem with ENUM is giving out phone numbers to a database that could potentially be misused. I don't give out my private numbers to 99% of the world so having it in some database its not going to fly. Most of the people I deal with are the same way. My privacy is very critical to me. The potential to misuse ENUM to find unlisted numbers is just not acceptable to most of my user base.
I actually don't see the point. You have an E-Mail Adress? Sure! It is also stored in "public" database (the mail server). The E-Mails you receive are being stored on a "public" server until you download them.
One could break in the mail server to steal all "valid" mail adresses. But spammers simply send out bulks of mails to all possible combinations of digits and letters and once they don't receive a "user unknown" error message from the server they know they hit a valid address.

Without knowing your phone number I can't do anything with ENUM. And why should a hacker try to break in the ENUM DNS Server when it is most easy to automatically try calling a whole IP address range? Or 000000-999999@voxalot.com. Or 0000000-9999999@sipgate.co.uk...

ENUM is NOT the white pages (unless you explicitly want to). ENUM is a great help for all VoIP users!!! Given the fact that with an automated dialling machine I will get through to you as well as if I break into the E164.org DNS server to steal all "valid" routes. I heard about the first possibility, it is being used daily, but I never heard about the latter (correct me if wrong!)... so for me it seems a little bit paranoic what you say...

But this is now getting OT...
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote