View Single Post
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
dimitrivisser

dimitrivisser is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to dimitrivisser Send a message via AIM to dimitrivisser Send a message via MSN to dimitrivisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stezanos View Post
So, my question is (and I'm technically challenged in order to understand if I have a wrong concept on this), is it possible that when any ATA is pointing at *.voxalot.com, Voxalot redirects that to the best server available (eu, us, au, etc.) ? .
It is very difficult to descide what is te BEST server to use. There is a database with ipnumbers and their geographical location. But this doesn't work with all ipnumbers. And sometimes the information is not correct. I have Compuserve ADSL at home and for some time it said my computer was located in the USA, while actually I live in The Netherlands.
And even if you are sure about the geografical location you cannot always say what is the best server. This also depends on routing of your acces provider. It is very well possible that for you it is for example best to use the USA server, while for your neighbour who lives 10 metres away from you and uses another acces provider the Australian server is maybe better to use.

I live in The Netherlands and at home I use Compuserve. All traffic first goes to Amsterdam, from there to Germany, and from Germany back to Amsterdam. For me a server in Germany would be better, faster, than a server in Amsterdam.

But I agree with you... In this case it would be nice if there was a redirect away from to EU server to any other server. Because any server is better than a not working EU server :-)
dimitrivisser is offline   Reply With Quote