View Single Post
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
tatjam

tatjam is on a distinguished road

I needed to do some further experimentation today owing to a MOCS-like problem: for the first time ever since I've set this up and have been using voxalot, I got mute caller syndrome on an incoming call. That is to say, someone called me and I could hear them speaking, but they could not hear me. This has never happened on an incoming call before to my knowledge. So now I have, not only MOCS, but MICS (mute incoming call syndrome).

I decided it was time to get drastic with my set-up. So I put the ATA in front of the router. Now it--not the router--has the public IP. So my router and the rest of my network is now on a subnet established by the ATA.

The good news is that dyndns seems to work ok on my router, despite the fact that it doesn't have a public IP. The bad news is that this does not resolve the MOCS problem: after I put the ATA in front of the router, i.e., such that it gets the public IP and establishes a private subnet for my router and network (now located behind it) every call I've tried to make using line 1, I get MOCS. Again, line 1 is set to register with voxalot, using a betamax reseller as VSP.

And just as has happened without fail since I've started this new round of testing--regardless of whether the ATA is in front of or behind the router--every call I've made using line 2 has worked pretty much flawlessly: I can hear the party I'm calling just fine, and they can hear me. Again, line 2 registers directly with the betamax reseller, not using voxalot as intermediary.

So, what in the world could be going on here? I think that, by putting the ATA in front of the router, such that it has the public IP, I've effectively eliminated the possibility of NAT issues--have I not? Could it be some kind of weird hardware issue? I suppose that if I switched the configuration of line 1 to be like line 2 and vice versa I might learn something about that.

But anyway, up until today, I believe every incoming call on line 1 (voxalot registration, betamax reseller as VSP) worked normally with respect to the MICS problem: I could always hear the party who was calling me, and they could hear me. But today I got MICS on line 1: I could hear the person calling me, but they could not hear me. And again, every time I've made an outgoing call using line 2 (direct registration with my betamax reseller, with no voxalot intermediary) it worked pretty much flawlessly: I could hear the party I was calling just fine, and they could hear me--and that's regardless of whether the ATA or the router had the public IP.

Further troubleshooting suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

PS I just (after having put the ATA in front of the router) received an incoming call on line 1 which worked fine, i.e., there was no MICS issue with this call, unlike the calls that came earlier today.
tatjam is offline   Reply With Quote