View Single Post
Unread 06-03-2006, 12:43 AM   #24
Bazza

Bazza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzie
I don't see the point in trying to constrain Voxalot numbers to not clash with local 6 digit numbers in Aus. If you do that, then you should do it for the rest of the world and you can almost guarantee that there will be a country somewhere that uses the same 6 digit numbering space.

Far easier to either use the full dialling code when trying to reach a PSTN number or, use a prefix for the PSTN number (or Voxalot number) and have a dial plan entry pick it up, strip the prefix and forward accordingly. It's not too difficult to do
I agree that a global solution is required.

The problem is we have have multiple numbering plans - country A, country B ... , Voxalot etc - all appearing at Voxalot without any form of identification of them. So there are going to be different clashes in different countries. As you say fozzie, we either have to identify Voxalot numbers or identify PSTN numbers so Voxalot can handle them differently.

The idea of making non-technical people change the way they enter ordinary Telephone numbers is just not on. We really only have two unique prefix identifiers - the characters '*' and '#'.

We could just add an extra '*' in front of Voxalot numbers and SIP-coded numbers (ie. they would have '**'). _*X. would identify Voxalot numbers and _**X. would identify sipbroker numbers.

Alternatively, we could identify Voxalot numbers with Voxalot SIP-codes.

I suggest that we use SIP-codes in front of Voxalot numbers and see what issues arise. At your own ATA you could use either of the above methods to identify Voxalot numbers.

BTW - Do we need a new Dial Plan thread for this discussion? Or as a main category thread?
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote