View Single Post
Unread 01-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #23
sunray73

sunray73 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
In those circumstances, a calling card with freephone access is one choice, but can be higher tariff or barred. And even a local call is chargeable at high tariffs from most hotels

So actually, if you can find out the incoming number of your hotel room, callback can be the cheapest of all, like maybe even free depending on your VoIP tariff. And if a payphone accepts incoming calls ...

Setting up from a web browser is one method, but there are several others - like calling a trigger number, either dedicated per number on the account or a portal that recognises caller ID, or sms or wap/gprs from a mobile. And not necessarily back to the same phone in any of these cases, so a mobile can be used to set up callback to a landline.

I'm not against this extra facility being thought about, but I still think some people aren't reckoning the cost of the access call.

The Voxalot web-based callback allows any numbers via your listed providers, whereas the mobile version uses only routes preset in the phonebook listing. So as you say, your choice is restricted from your hotel, which is why I hope a method can be added for ad hoc numbers from the mobile callback ...

If anyone doesn't have data facilities when roaming on their mobile, then think about getting another SIM in a spare phone; the amount of data used is modest, and for extra motivation there are also Java clients for cheap sms from 2 or 3 cents each
way to complicated.... people want simple. simple=DID
I don't want to buy another sim card or set up call backs etc... I (the proverbial I meaning we) just want something as simple as dialing a number to use our SIP rates from ANY phone. I'll not saying lose the web callback feature because it has it's functions. I'm just saying introducing this would facilitate mobile calls to anywhere, anytime, anyplace...

p.s. how do you suppose a callback to a hotel room ext. would work??? At best, if the hotel doesn't have a auto attendant answering calls, MAYBE you'll get lucky enough to have the front desk answer which would just hang the call up anyway...
sunray73 is offline   Reply With Quote