View Single Post
Unread 01-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #30
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunray73 View Post
you can't avoid "roaming charges" if you are outside of your calling area with a cell phone. Who get's roaming charges anyways? I haven't had roaming charges in years in the USA... I'm assuming you mean when abroad which again you can avoid if you pick the right cellphone company to use.
Again, will not work for most hotels. Let's take the whole traveling to a different country scenario out for a sec. When I'm on the road here in the US I have my cell phone with me and I want to make a call to a different country. I don't want find a hotspot, configure my call back etc... I want to pick up my cell phone, hit my speed dial to a sip number I configured (i.e. stanaphone) and dial out using my voipstunt sip rates.
Well I must have been badly mistaken, as I thought at least three-quarters of the discussion so far, including much of what you introduced, had been about using the phone abroad, not in another part of the USA, so this seems to me like a change of tack. I'm sure you mentioned access DIDs in other countries.

Callback would indeed be less worthwhile in USA, and I think it rather odd to suggest that's what I was on about, especially as I said you can already do the callthrough you want with some providers, fairly similar to calling card methods.

US networks have some of the world's highest roaming charges, both for visitors to the country and for their customers travelling elsewhere. Not one of them has free incoming calls anywhere else, or cheap outgoing calls from inclusive packages, so I think you are fantasising about picking the right plan from the right company, or perhaps you haven't actually been abroad with your US mobile.

There are only very few such options, though they are increasing like the announcement by 3 UK a few days ago, or between 3 Denmark and Sweden for a while. O2 UK has free incoming in Spain for a £5 a month fee. T-mobile Czech has free (temporary) roaming on several T-mobile networks, and other T-mobiles could roam free in Germany at the football World Cup last year. Some networks in the Baltic states eg Tele2 possibly Bite have free roaming between the countries

So I'm sorry if it will sound contentious, but if you can produce any evidence whatsoever of avoiding roaming costs abroad that you keep mentioning, then please publish it.

There are SIM cards with cheap roaming, but almost all of these depend on their own callback systems, not direct-dialled outgoing calls. Their own tariffs, while better than the main companies, can be dramatically undercut by using other callback systems from a range of providers, and this is where Voxalot comes in, using one or two of your favourite VoIP companies

And I still say it is very easy to use a simple Java client in the mobile, and not that difficult with or a couple of bookmarked wap pages or URLs instead to connect two landlines together, using a little as 1 or 2k of data, and call tariffs that start from zero. And there are other callback trigger methods too, if you don't have data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin
I hate being a tease but look out for a new feature called "VoXRoam" in the not so distant future
I look forward to it - will it be a feature of Voxalot itself, or another product that can be used with it?

As I almost hinted, I think a Voxalot Java client in the mobile would be a great idea, or if not then at least more facility to dial any number not pre-listed in the phonebook. As I've only used the mobile callback, I haven't studied dial plans enough yet, but will this facility extend to mobile use?

Last edited by andy; 01-20-2007 at 02:40 AM.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote