View Single Post
Unread 07-16-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
tompoe

tompoe is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner questions (cont'd)

Martin: Well, that's amazing! So, let's see:

One day, long ago, I decided to set up my cheap desktop computer to use Session Initiation Protocol, and make PC to PC phone calls. It was all new to me, this VoIP stuff, and confusing to say the least. At one point, I ended up at a site called, www.VoXaLot.com . They offer services as a gateway for VoIP (I think that's what it is). As a gateway, they work with an organization called, www.e164.org, which maps phone numbers to account numbers to users that want to make PC to PC phone calls. They also automatically create a voice mail account for the user. So, when I'm not hooked up, I should be able to instruct the gateway to enter my account and leave a voice mail.

All in all, the day was looking good. I entered the information needed to set up the account.

Then, I went to www.xten.com , and downloaded and installed x-lite softphone to use to make VoIP calls.

Once installed, I followed the instructions to load my account information, dialed 600, and followed those instructions to fine-tune my audio for outgoing and incoming calls.

Finally, I made a test call to an example sipbroker: 266300
and to the information operator in the U.S., 1-800-555-1212

What a nice day! Friends and Family networks takes on new meaning to me.
tompoe is offline   Reply With Quote