View Single Post
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
tatjam

tatjam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by padboll View Post
Since the router is not SIP aware, you have two possibilities:
- using STUN without port forwarding (direct call from outside not possible)
I still get MOCS on line 1 (voxalot registration with justvoip set as VSP), even with port forwarding turned off but the STUN server still set.
Quote:
- using port forwarding (5060 + audio stream dynamic ports) without STUN
I get MOCS on line 1 with this setup, too. Whether the STUN server is set or not (with port forwarding activated), the problem persists.
Quote:
You can also use the STUN from JustVoip with Voxalot account, I already got some compatibility issues with the one from Voxalot in the past.
I tried changing the STUN server back to justvoip and I still get MOCS on line 1.
Quote:
If STUN still fails, this is probably because of your NAT which is badly implemented or is symmetric. But since your JustVoip account works fine, I don't think so.
That's the confusing part: why does line 2 (direct registration with justvoip, not using voxalot as an intermediary) seem to work fine every time (no MOCS), while line 1 has those problems? In fact, every call I've tried to make over the last 2 days on line 1 has resulted in the MOCS problem. Hmmm . . .

I took the radical step of upgrading my router's firmware, thinking that might influence the issue, but it seems to be having no effect. I still get MOCS with each call I try to make using line 1.

I also wondered whether it might have to do with the fact that line 2 is registering my justvoip account, so that account somehow becomes dysfunctional when I'm trying to use it via voxalot. But if that were the case, I don't see why I'd be able to use it at all, i.e., why I could even make an outgoing call (being able to hear the party I'm dialing, while they can't hear me). Strange.

Then, there's one of the main reasons I even bothered to set up line 2 to register directly with justvoip: I was, in part, trying to eliminate the FUP exceeded charges I was seeing on my justvoip account. Setting up line 2 like that and using it to make calls to the PSTN does seem to have resolved the extraneous FUP exceeded charges, by the way. And I should also mention, if I haven't already, that I sometimes get MOCS when calling another voxalot user (i.e., not using any VSP), and he sometimes gets MOCS when calling me (again, no VSP involved). That indicates the problem lies with voxalot or with the way my/his hardware (different hardware, btw) is/is not interacting with the voxalot servers.

I still don't see where the problem lies here. But I intend to keep testing and searching for a solution.

James

Last edited by tatjam; 06-05-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: correction
tatjam is offline   Reply With Quote