View Single Post
Unread 07-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #40
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinW View Post
Sorry but I am still confused: For more than a year now I have been using this service to register 5 different providers for incoming calls. One of these providers is also used for outgoing call using a single dial plan. To the best of my knowledge, all of my providers require registration for both outgoing and incoming calls (sipgate / voipbuster / freespeech). My understanding is that following this "upgrade" all of a sudden nothing will work as of 30/07/2007 unless I pay to upgrade. If this is true then there would appear to be certain elements of extortionate behavior at work... Attract people to invest time and effort to make it work because it is free - and then make them pay if they want to continue...

Martin, can you please correct me on all above elements I have wrong?

Thanks, Colin
The comment on "extortionate behavior" is unfair.

For Voxalot to host this service, there are data centre costs involved, besides the expertise and time.

To run a server at home, one should consider the overall cost of ownership, initial cost of the server, physical space, maintenance costs, server data back-up, UPS Back-up, your time, and cost of electric power.

Probably the cost of the electric power alone to run the server will be comparable to or higher than the yearly VoxPremium charge.

I do not know of any provider that requires registration to send outgoing calls (yes, perhaps it shows how little I know).
And if I did, I have learned how to stay away from them !

Registration is only required in general for incoming calls depending on the provider, as to whether they provide what I call a "real" DID with SIP forwarding capability or a "captive" DID that works only with their registered account.

Further, I am more comfortable using services from a company that charges a nominal and fair fee, than from a company offering free service, as then I have a reasonable expectation of ongoing reliability and support. This is very important for me, and the support from the VoXalot team has been absolutely excellent.

I do realize that you and me and many others were beta testing the system.
That was part of the technical attraction for me to learn how to use VoIP in general, and as many features of the Voxalot service as possible, in particular.
Is it reasonable to fault a company offering a valued service for trying to create a revenue stream?

The feature set in VoxBasic is extensive, and enough for my purpose.
However, I still feel I should sign up and express my vote of support.

Thanks

Last edited by kurun; 07-29-2007 at 03:50 AM.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote