View Single Post
Unread 04-08-2006, 01:46 AM   #9
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Let me try this one more time...

My request for a simple way (i.e. an 'Active (Yes/No)' option) to enable/disable an ENUM record entry has *absolutelty* nothing to do with failover. I know what failover is. I strongly believe anyone doing ENUM lookups should have a solid failover strategy. I fully understand the mechanics involved in implementing failover support. But I want to be perfectly clear here: The reason I started this thread has *absolutelty* nothing to do with failover.

I currently have a single ENUM record on e164.org. That ENUM record specifies a SIP URI for a PSTN telephone number. Any service (VoXaLot and Sip Broker, for example) that does ENUM lookups direct calls to that SIP URI as expected and intended.

There are many circumstances when I (typically for a short period of time) do NOT want calls to this PSTN number redirected to the specified SIP URI by *anyone*. I want the ENUM record at e164.org to effectively disappear from the e164.org database. The only way I know how to accomplish this at the moment is by actually deleting the record from e164.org. This approach certainly works. When I want it back, I simply create it again. This is somewhat cumbersome. Even worse, it appears e164.org considers this to be abusive (from the e164.org FAQ):

"Once a number is deleted, it must be re-verified. A number that is deleted and re-added repeatedly may be suspended."

It would be much simpler for users and non-abusive to e164.org if the ENUM record had an 'Active' flag associated with it that could be toggled by the owner. If the 'Active' flag is false, e164.org would simply skip over this record as if it didn't exist when it comes to normal processing operations on its database.

I fully understand the implications of DNS caching and the propogational delays involved with it. But an 'Active' flag does not change this behavior in any way compared to deleting and recreating entire ENUM records.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote