Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   provider: sipgate shows "request sent" since monday (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=1586)

LCfan 05-17-2007 08:20 AM

provider: sipgate shows "request sent" since monday

Hi,

I have 2 providers registered and they worked perfectly until last week. Since monday I recognized that I don't get incoming calls via sipgate.de. When I look at the provider settings page I see always a "request sent" at the sipgate entry. I did already un-register and re-register the sipgate account, but that didn't help.

Outgoing calls via sipgate do work. My voxalot id is 611007. Maybe someone can have a look in the logs.

Thanks

Andreas

martin 05-17-2007 09:26 AM

All of the sipgate.de registrations are either "Request Sent" or "Failed". The logs are showing a "Timeout" for the messages going to sipgate.de

This means that they are not replying to the messages.

Edit: Another interesting observation is it appears they are not replying to messages on the EU server only. Other servers look ok.

cdab 05-17-2007 10:14 AM

same problem here, should i switch to the non .eu server?

martin 05-17-2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdab (Post 8947)
same problem here, should i switch to the non .eu server?

It would be interesting to know why they are not responding to the EU messages. Anyone got any insight?

haifischjunge 05-17-2007 12:07 PM

hi, just checked my provider panel in voxalot. my sipgate.at (i know its .at but they are using the same servers) account still is fine registered. also using the .eu server

cdab 05-17-2007 12:13 PM

again same here! i'm using sipgate.AT as well as sipgate.DE - .at is fine, .de not - showing "request sent" since monday

mgoebel 05-18-2007 07:24 AM

Sipgate made problems before

Sipgate was already blocking a service quite similar to Voxalot, called simplyConnect (http://www.simply-connect.de/cms/). With an other similar service, PBXEes (http://www.pbxes.com/), they seem to work OK. Maybe PBXes has a special agreement.

It seems that Sipgate does not like very much the "always connected" PBX services like Voxalot or simplyConnect. People should just use Sipgate on their ATA. It all started with Sipgate blocking calls to their SIP addresses. You can call only the Sipgate phone numbers.

Maybe Sipgate did not like it that the their Voice Mail answered all calls to my different VoIP providers at Voxalot. Even if you called my FWD or Gizmo account, which I also use with Voxalot, the Sipgate Voice Mail kicked in. This was a nice feature since I had to deal with only one Voice Mail box for all my VoIP and fixed line calls.

It seems that Sipgate wants to work like a normal PSTN telco and to be as much separated from the SIP world as possible. Only if people use Sipgate as for their outgoing phone calls and do not free ride their services they can sponsor their free incoming numbers. I for instance use their incoming phone number and Voice Mail yet for years but never paid them money since my outgoing phone calls go for free over Voipstunt.

But maybe Martin can make an agreement with Sipgate to unblock Voxalot? After all Voxalot did not change my attitude towards Sipgate anyway.

mgoebel 05-18-2007 08:13 AM

Now Sipgate also does not work with PBXes

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Condor (Post 8973)
With an other similar service, PBXEes (http://www.pbxes.com/), they seem to work OK. Maybe PBXes has a special agreement.

Correction:

It seems that Sipgate also doesn't work with PBXes in this very moment. I just tried to use my Sipgate account as inbound number for PBXes. But when I call it now a voice says "this number is currently not available".

The worst thing is:

When I look into my Sipgate account it shows up as "online" and "connected to PBXes". But I cannot call the Sipgate number from a fixed line. So Sipgate is obviuously blocking all "always connected" services I know (Voxalot, PBXes and simplyConnect).

At least they still work with a certain hosted company PBX whose name I won't reveal here for that they don't block it too.

:cool:

LCfan 05-18-2007 08:26 AM

I wrote yesterday (national holiday in Germany) an e-mail to sipgate.de. Beside the autoresponder I got no answer so far.

But this morning I see that my sipgate.de account is registered in Voxalot! I changed yesterday the registration server to us.voxalot.com. Maybe that was doing the trick...

I will change back to eu.voxalot.com and see what happens.

Andreas

tomblandford 05-18-2007 08:47 AM

My Voxalot account is showing request sent now with sipgate.co.uk and the EU server (it was OK yesterday). It's the Betamax problem all over again! I hope for Voxalot's sake that this isn't a recurring theme with providers. Is there anything Voxalot can do to redeem themselves with Sipgate?

I've been forwarding calls to my Sipgate number to a number overseas for free. First Betamax blocked Voxalot and stopped that happening. Now Sipgate have disrupted it. Is there no end to our woes!

mgoebel 05-18-2007 09:28 AM

OK, this makes think of a new input for Voxalot's feature whish list

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCfan (Post 8975)
But this morning I see that my sipgate.de account is registered in Voxalot! I changed yesterday the registration server to us.voxalot.com. Maybe that was doing the trick...

OK, this makes think of a new input for Voxalot's feature whish list:

We should be able to choose a different preferred server cluster for every VoIP provider. E. g.: To Sipgate I would like to connect from us.voxalot.com and to my other providers from eu.voxalot.com. Voxalot should separate the servers to which Voxalot's clients connect from the servers which connect to the VoIP providers. My ATA should be connected to eu.voxalot.com, but Voxalot should connect in my name to Sipgate from us.voxalot.com. Isn't this possible?

Or you just go in stealth mode:

But the coolest thing would be if the Voxalot server which connects to Sipgate, Betamax and all the trouble makers could change its IP address regularily to not be traceable. So that these companies just could not notice that it's Voxalot that's connecting. It would work like my home ATA that connects over DSL to my VoIP providers: Every 24 hours it connects again to the DSL and gets a new IP address. For that reason I, for instance, never use up Voipstunt's free minutes which are "max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and per unique IP address".

Voxalot is a great service that seems to annoy these companies. But maybe you can hide better from the trouble makers and look like a normal user to them.

LCfan 05-18-2007 10:03 AM

I just checked it again: when I register my sipgate.de account via eu.voxalot.com I get no incoming calls. When I switch back to us.voxalot.com I get incoming calls.

Andreas

ataboy 05-18-2007 10:09 AM

I'm also getting "Request Sent" (I'm using the EU server). I can't access Sipgate's website either. Can anyone else?

ataboy

mgoebel 05-18-2007 10:33 AM

Sipgate can't connect to sql server

Quote:

Originally Posted by ataboy (Post 8980)
I can't access Sipgate's website either. Can anyone else?

The website itself looks great. But when I want to log in to my account it says "can't connect to sql server". Two hours ago I still could log in whithout problems. Maybe Sipgate is just working on something and we should give them time.

cdab 05-18-2007 10:41 AM

today the sipgate.AT account is "down" too. it also just shows "request sent" - i'll consider writing them an email later...

mgoebel 05-18-2007 12:11 PM

Electricity blackout at Sipgate

Sipgate now says on their website that they were down for "30 minutes" because of a blackout in their Düsseldorf data center:
https://secure.sipgate.de/user/news.php?id=
Stromausfall 18/05
30-minütige Einschränkungen
Aufgrund eines Stromausfalles in einem Düsseldorfer Rechenzentrum waren für sipgate einige Dienste eines Zulieferers nur eingeschränkt nutzbar. In Folge dessen war sipgate für viele Kunden garnicht oder nur eingeschränkt nutzbar. Durch die kurfristige Übernahme der betroffenen Dienste durch sipgate, konnte die Störung jedoch binnen 30 Minuten behoben werden. Wir möchten uns für die Unanehmlichkeiten entschuldigen.
Now they show my phone number as offline and so the voice mail box directly kicks in when I call it. Although it's registered with PBXes when I looked into my Sipgate account two hours ago it showed up as "online" and "connected to PBXes".

Maybe they are just restarting everything. I will now connect to Sipgate via Voxalot (not anymore via PBXes) and see what happens.

tomblandford 05-18-2007 02:41 PM

I'm getting request sent on the US server (VID 6xxxxx) with sipgate.co.uk now as well.

Lanh 05-18-2007 02:51 PM

Same here, .co.uk flavour on the EU server.

martin 05-18-2007 10:36 PM

Do they have a public support forum?

tomblandford 05-18-2007 11:49 PM

No support forum that I know of, but I have emailed support. They got back to me and said there had been a problem with the server in Germany but I don't believe that is the root of this problem, so I replied and said as much. Waiting another reply from them.

olinpower 05-19-2007 06:35 AM

hallo everyone,
in voxalot I also see request sent, but when I call 10005 (echo test by sipgate.de) it works. But when I try call my number can't reach it, also my status is offline (checked in account on www.sipgate.de).Normally I see there Voxalot with ip
regards

LCfan 05-19-2007 09:01 AM

Now I get with the us.voxalot.com server the message request sent. No incoming calls via sipgate.

Up to now I got no answer from sipgate.de...

Andreas

224769 05-19-2007 10:54 PM

it's working ok with us.voxalot...but not with eu.voxalot

LCfan 05-20-2007 08:57 AM

Now I got a reply from the sipgate.de support (translation):

Quote:

We have no information about voxalot. We can't support this problem.
Is there a glimpse of hope that voxalot can handle/support this?

Andreas

dc2007 05-20-2007 10:59 AM

im in us.vox and neither working :( good for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 224769 (Post 9017)
it's working ok with us.voxalot...but not with eu.voxalot

martin 05-20-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCfan (Post 9020)
Now I got a reply from the sipgate.de support (translation):

Is there a glimpse of hope that voxalot can handle/support this?

Andreas

Thanks for the heads up. All I can tell you is that sipgate are not responding to SIP messages originating from our servers.

We are more than happy to talk with sipgate to understand what the problem is. It would really help if we had a direct contact in order to pursue this.

LCfan 05-20-2007 02:05 PM

Hi Martin,

I forwarded your wish to the sipgate support member named "Ulf Herrmann". The e-mail subject I used is "Problem mit Registrierung über Voxalot {-209438}". I think the number is their internal ticket no.

Best wishes

Andreas

martin 05-20-2007 10:18 PM

Hello Andreas,

Thanks. Please check your PM for my email address that you can send him to contact me directly.

Thanks.

tomblandford 05-21-2007 09:06 AM

Martin, the guy who responds to sipgate.co.uk messages speaks good English and is always helpful, if you would like to contact him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipgate
I will ask our engineers if they have changed something.
Best regards,
Frederik van Koningshoven
support@support.sipgate.co.uk

224769 05-21-2007 11:40 AM

as i said it's working perfect...sipgate.de, sipgate.co.uk and freedigits working with no problem on us.voxalot.com server......

tomblandford 05-21-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

we block Voxalot and similar services, because our customer has to give them the login details.
This is a security problem.
Best regards,

Here it is in black and white. So, Martin, can anything be done to persuade them?

cdab 05-21-2007 12:12 PM

######
vielen Dank für Ihre Email. Ihre Zugangsdaten zu dem Dienst sipgate sind grundsätzlich vertraulich zu behandeln und dürfen nicht an Dritte weitergegeben werden. Im Falle des von Ihnen genannten Angebotes, ist das fragliche Unternehmen zudem in der Vergangenheit durch unseriöse Geschäftspraktiken aufgefallen. Zum Schutze aller unserer Kunden sind wir daher bemüht, dem potenziellen Mißbrauch durch dieses Unternehmen vorzubeugen.
######
to give the gist of the supportemail:
login details must not be given to 3rd parties. the provider mentioned above (note: voxalot is ment) attracted attention due to nonserious business practices. for our customers safety we try to remedy potential abuse through this corporation.
######

sad news :((

martin 05-21-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 224769 (Post 9055)
as i said it's working perfect...sipgate.de, sipgate.co.uk and freedigits working with no problem on us.voxalot.com server......

It's worth noting there are 2 U.S. servers in a load balanced configuration, so it is possible one is blocked and not the other.

martin 05-21-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblandford (Post 9058)
Here it is in black and white. So, Martin, can anything be done to persuade them?

All we can do is ask the question. As their customers I am guessing you probably have more of an influence than we do, however we will attempt to make contact.

Edit: I am curious if they consistently enforce this business rule. For example, are they blocking fring.com as well? I would be surprised if that was the case......

Edit2: Obviously they don't fring Forums - Questions, Answer, Comments and News I would be interested to know if this is an across the board "security rule" or if simply Voxalot was "singled out".....

mgoebel 05-21-2007 12:45 PM

Sounds very interesting

There seems to be an entire story between Voxalot and Sipgate. Yet it's material enough for a blog post.

In fact it's enough for an entire article which deals with the problem in general: With every time more services moving into the internet people have to provide every time more secret login data to 3rd parties.

It's not only Voxalot. It's also PBXes.com, simplyConnect, Fring, Barablu, Nimbuzz, Talkster, Mobivox, Iskoot, Skip2PBX, ...

Dozens of companies have to deal with this problem. There has to be a more intelligent solution than just blocking Voxalot. What's missing is a secure way to share login data. It reminds me of my post in april, "Theoretically Voxalot could steal all our VoIP minutes" (http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...-minutes.html).

martin 05-21-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Condor (Post 9062)
What's missing is a secure way to share login data.

I agree, and there is a framework that supports this concept:

OpenID: an actually distributed identity system

I would be very surprised if sipgate was also blocking:

Quote:

PBXes.com, simplyConnect, Fring, Barablu, Nimbuzz, Talkster, Mobivox, Iskoot, Skip2PBX, ...
If they are not blocking them, then I am curious to understand the reason Voxalot has been singled out???

tomblandford 05-21-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9061)
As their customers I am guessing you probably have more of an influence than we do, however we will attempt to make contact.

So, everybody email Sipgate support to complain about this policy...:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdab (Post 9059)
For our customers safety we try to remedy potential abuse through this corporation.

Can't we choose for ourselves?

tomblandford 05-21-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, we don't consider them as trustworthy.
This decision will not be changed in near future.
Best regards,

Ouch - bet that hurts, Martin! :)

martin 05-21-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblandford (Post 9069)
Ouch - bet that hurts, Martin! :)

Not at all Tom. I don't think the issue is trust I rather suspect the issue is "least cost routing".

mgoebel 05-21-2007 02:42 PM

Poor Sipgate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 9070)
Not at all Tom. I don't think the issue is trust I rather suspect the issue is "least cost routing".

Poor Sipgate!

Mean Germans use them only to receive calls on their free incoming numbers and Betamax for free outgoing calls.

:cool: