Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Caller ID (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=4563)

Matte 11-16-2009 09:03 PM

Caller ID
 
My Voxalot works great, got two lines both for incomming and outgoing. There is just one problem, Caller ID is not working. Whenever I get a voicemail I can see the callers number in the mail, so Voxalot is receiving the number correct. However, for some reason it does not look as if the Caller ID is forwarded...

I am using a Linksys PAP2T and a Swedish (CellIP) and a Norwegian (Phonzo) provider.

Any ideas?

boatman 11-17-2009 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matte (Post 25830)
I am using a Linksys PAP2T...

Which setting are you using for "Caller ID Method:"? Is it the method your phone requires?

Matte 11-17-2009 11:56 AM

I am using PAP2T setting DTMF Finland,Sweden. I have not changed this, I have been using this for a long time working with "MySipSwitch". But when I switched to Voxalot CallerID stopped working... Perhaps I need to hook up a sniffer and run Wireshark to see whether the CallerID is sent to the PAP2T from Voxalot.

tatjam 11-26-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matte (Post 25830)
My Voxalot works great, got two lines both for incomming and outgoing. There is just one problem, Caller ID is not working. Whenever I get a voicemail I can see the callers number in the mail, so Voxalot is receiving the number correct. However, for some reason it does not look as if the Caller ID is forwarded...

I am using a Linksys PAP2T and a Swedish (CellIP) and a Norwegian (Phonzo) provider.

Any ideas?

I've had the same problem for a long time and had just about given up--couldn't figure out where the problem was. Yesterday I had some trouble calling out so did some very minor reconfigurations on my (Sipura) ATA (changed the voxalot server, then the STUN server). I ended up changing the voxalot server back to what it had been, so I think the STUN server was the only _real_ change I made. Suddenly, today caller ID is working again. So could I have been using a defective/non-existent STUN server, and could this have caused caller ID to stop working? I don't profess to know if this is what got things working again--but it may be. You might want to try another STUN server. If that does get caller ID working for you, please post here so I'll know myself whether it could play any role.

James

PS I had some other posts on this topic in the forum but I can't find them now. I was hoping to find that thread and to post there that I may have found the problem. I'll keep looking for that thread.

tatjam 11-26-2009 08:23 PM

Looks like they deleted my previous (summer of '09) posts on this subject. A google search reveals that I made some posts, beginning on 7/24/2009 at 9:09 P.M., to the thread entitled "Voxalot and Sipura/ATA Tutorial: A Comprehensive Walkthrough." Those google results also show that thread became a multi-page one. Now, though, that thread contains just two replies and consists in a single page. I frankly don't see the sense in deleting all that material (attention forum admins). But in any case the issue I brought up there--and I posted about it in that thread since I assumed the settings I changed on my Sipura ATA on the opening post's advice might have been what caused caller id to cease working on my phone--appears to be resolved now, as described above. I'll post again to this thread if called id goes away again, even though changing the STUN server seems at this point to have brought it back.

James

boatman 11-26-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tatjam (Post 25916)
... I frankly don't see the sense in deleting all that material (attention forum admins).

If your posts contained misinformation that would be a good reason to delete them from a configuration how-to thread.

As for any connection between STUN and caller ID, I can't think of any way that STUN can affect caller ID. I did notice however (even through it would be an easy test to do before posting) that you didn't test to see if your caller ID stopped working whenever your previous STUN settings are used.

tatjam 11-26-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman (Post 25917)
I did notice however (even through it would be an easy test to do before posting) that you didn't test to see if your caller ID stopped working whenever your previous STUN settings are used.

If you read my post you'll know that I made no association between setting a new STUN server and resolving the caller ID issue when I initially changed that setting. Rather, I was simply trying to get outbound calls to terminate properly and had run across a recommendation to change the STUN server to the betamax one as a possible resolution. Consequently I don't even recall what the STUN server was previously set to, so I have no way to run the test you're proposing. But as I said, apart from changing the voxalot server I'm using (which I changed back last night after it became clear that using the alternate one had no effect on call termination), that is the only configuration change I made last night. Thus I presume changing that value may have had some effect on caller ID. My understanding of VOIP is still rather sketchy though, which is why I present this as a solution only tentatively.

James

PS My contribution to the older thread under discussion was merely an attempt to troubleshoot my caller ID problem: the only resolutions presented there were those suggested by others, but they did not cause caller ID to begin working for me again.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.