Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   VoxFox beta - Firefox web callback extension (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=2138)

craig 08-19-2007 11:15 PM

VoxFox beta - Firefox web callback extension

1 Attachment(s)
I need a couple of volunteers to test a new Firefox extension that can be used to initiate a web-callback via voxalot. All you have to do is highlight a phone number on any web page, right-click and select the Call Via Voxalot menu item.

So, if you:
  • Use firefox (1.5 and 2.0 are both supported)
  • Have already subscribed to premium (as web-callback is a premium feature)
  • Be prepared to spend some time trying to break it.

If you believe that you are able to help, please send me a PM with your member id, version of Firefox you use, and your operating system. In return, you will get a URL to download the extension and some simple instructions on how to use.

To whet your appetite, I have attached a screenshot to show you what it will look like.

--
craig

affinity 08-20-2007 01:43 PM

Okay, I have installed the add-on.

I didn't expect the web callback page to start up ... I thought it would simple do the dialing, perhaps pop up a new tab or window. What I found is that the tab that has the number I wish to call is loaded over the top with the web call back page. If you are calling someone via a phone number on their webpage, then you may want to keep the website in question open for reference during the call.

Edit1: A mini-web callback pop up windows would probably suit better.
Edit2: Okay, I re-read the PM, it said about the web callback page coming up, but I think 'edit1' would be better.

wmp 08-20-2007 10:20 PM

When I select a phone number that begins with a * such as *600 or *266300, the * gets dropped in the Web Call Back page. "Normal" phone numbers are working as expected.

craig 08-20-2007 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affinity (Post 11891)
I didn't expect the web callback page to start up ... I thought it would simple do the dialing, perhaps pop up a new tab or window.

Thanks for the feedback so far. The final released product will open a new tab (as I am relatively new to the firefox extension API, I just need to work out the appropriate function to call).

I did consider using a popup, however, I am very conscious that many people hate popups. Perhaps in V2.0, I will give a choice in the configuration panel: popup, new tab, new window, same window.

--
Craig

craig 08-20-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmp (Post 11904)
When I select a phone number that begins with a * such as *600 or *266300, the * gets dropped in the Web Call Back page. "Normal" phone numbers are working as expected.

I do some judicious trimming for phone numbers and SIP URIs to make them presentable, but completely forgot to include support for SIP Broker SIP codes. Hmmm... how embarrassing!! :eek: Thanks for the heads-up.

--
craig

kurun 08-21-2007 03:15 AM

Very slick, Craig. Saves having to do all the keying to set up a call.

I would definitely prefer to have VoxFox open up a new Tab rather than opening up the WebCallback screen in the same tab.
I am not too crazy about pop-ups.

As noted by wmp, VoxFox strips out all the "*" in the number string (not just the leading one).

Unrelated to VoxFox, I discovered that Voxalot SmartCall does not handle 6 digit extensions, although I can dial a 6 digit number (Voxalot extension) from my phone and the call gets connected.
An easy work around is to add a modification in the dial plan to add *010 in front of 6 digit numbers.

affinity 08-21-2007 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig (Post 11906)
Thanks for the feedback so far. The final released product will open a new tab (as I am relatively new to the firefox extension API, I just need to work out the appropriate function to call).

I did consider using a popup, however, I am very conscious that many people hate popups. Perhaps in V2.0, I will give a choice in the configuration panel: popup, new tab, new window, same window.

Generally I hate popups too, but if it is an expected one or from a site that I allow for the popup, well that is a different matter.

Edit [ again ;-) ]
- the popup shouldn't happen unless I initiate it, sites that popup advertising or other pages without any action by me to cause it are very annoying -- although I have another exception here and that is the popup informing me of a new PM or similar when I return to a forum.

And being a 'mini' popup without the full content of the web callback page, it should be nice and neat.

Your configurability ideas sound perfect.

ozimarco 08-21-2007 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affinity (Post 11915)
And being a 'mini' popup without the full content of the web callback page, it should be nice and neat.

I have only just come across this thread, otherwise I would have volunteered, too. A big thanks to Craig for creating this Firefox add-on.

I would also like to add my vote for a small self-initiated pop-up. If the 'call immediately' field is ticked, there is probably no need for a pop-up at all.

mgoebel 08-21-2007 07:19 AM

My Firefox opens popups as a new tab in the background, because normally I don't want to see any popups but sometimes they are important. Some popups are so nasty to resize my entire browser. Firefox suddenly gets very small and that's very annoying. Other popups don't do that. It would be kind of you to program "well behaving" popups.

affinity 08-21-2007 07:24 AM

Yes popups that don't force any nasty changes are essential. Resizing other windows is a definite no-no but it is usally also best to ALLOW the popped up window to be manually resized if so desired -- many popups don't allow you to adjust it's sizing.

ozimarco 08-22-2007 07:55 PM

Even though I put a tick in the 'dial immediately' field, it takes me to the login page where I have to enter my number and password before the call will proceed. It would be good if this step could be by-passed.

majo 08-22-2007 08:12 PM

login with remember me checked!!!!!!!!

Hi ozimarco,
Did you tried login with 'Remember me' checked. I login 'Remember me' checked and whenever i come back to voxalot site I am logged in. Then it will be bypassed as you think of it. May be for this functionality to work you have to enable 'Cookies' for voxalot site.

Regards.

majo

ozimarco 08-22-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majo (Post 11959)
Hi ozimarco,
Did you tried login with 'Remember me' checked.

The problem is that I have 2 Voxalot accounts and Firefox does not know which one I want to log in to. It's probably my fault for asking FF to remember the password for both accounts. I'll have another look and see if I can undo one of these so that it'll log in automatically.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

craig 08-22-2007 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozimarco (Post 11957)
Even though I put a tick in the 'dial immediately' field, it takes me to the login page where I have to enter my number and password before the call will proceed. It would be good if this step could be by-passed.

As Majo suggested, this is because you haven't logged in. My original design for VoxFox made you enter your userid and password into the configuration popup so that I could make sure you are logged on, but then I started to think about the security implications of a) storing your voxalot password in your firefox preferences where any firefox extension can read them, and b) ensuring that the userid/password was transmitted securely over the network.

In the end, I erred on the side of caution and decided that it was safer to rely on either the user having ticked remember me, or manually having to log in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozimarco
The problem is that I have 2 Voxalot accounts and Firefox does not know which one I want to log in to. It's probably my fault for asking FF to remember the password for both accounts. I'll have another look and see if I can undo one of these so that it'll log in automatically.

I am not sure how firefox handles the case you specify (I don't normally use the firefox password manager), but I do know that if you tick the Remember Me checkbox in Voxalot, it will just replace the existing cookie (if present). So, Voxalot only remembers the last userid that you ticked the Remember Me checkbox.

--
Craig

ozimarco 08-22-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig (Post 11965)
I am not sure how firefox handles the case you specify (I don't normally use the firefox password manager), but I do know that if you tick the Remember Me checkbox in Voxalot, it will just replace the existing cookie (if present). So, Voxalot only remembers the last userid that you ticked the Remember Me checkbox.

Thanks, Craig, that works OK now.

serendipitydawg 08-27-2007 12:21 PM

Hello all!

I have tied to break the Firefox extension and failed miserably so far!

As Voxalot is an Australian product, I thought I would try to dial some Australian numbers.

Using
yellow.com.au - Keyword Search
the onscreen listing always includes (0x) then the phone number.

If I highlight, right click, select "Call via Voxalot" the brackets get stripped out but not the leading zero

Fortunately, if I uncheck "Dial Immediately" when the web callback page appears I can highlight the stray zero tap in 61 for Australia and the call goes through

majo 08-27-2007 07:49 PM

Option to set default counttry code

Hi VoxFox Support,
It would be nice, if voxfox can do

1) defualt country could be specified & added if number does not contain country code. I use 00. pattern in my smart plans, but normaly pages has (localcode) + number.

2) should strip out non numeric characters. e.g (089) 1234 345-0 should convert to 08912343450

3) context menu should give option to dial as national 0xxxxxx or international 00xxxxxxxx.

Best Regards.

majo

tomblandford 08-28-2007 01:23 PM

I vote for the small pop-up window on this one!
As someone said, pop-ups are OK if I choose to open them. Annoying when they just pop up unexpectedly.

craig 08-28-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serendipitydawg (Post 12121)
Using
yellow.com.au - Keyword Search
the onscreen listing always includes (0x) then the phone number.

If I highlight, right click, select "Call via Voxalot" the brackets get stripped out but not the leading zero

Thanks for the feedback. You raise an interesting problem... for Australian numbers, if you include the area code (eg. 02), then the leading zero must be present. For example, when dialling locally, 0294811111 is valid, 94811111 is valid, but 294811111 is not.

The leading zero only gets deleted when international diallers call into Australia using our country code (eg. 61294811111).

So, for Australia users of VoxFox, I don't really want to strip the leading zero. But for international ones, I do. Hmmm...

Anyway, though, I think that some of Majo's suggestions above may help solve this dilemma.

--
Craig

craig 08-28-2007 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majo (Post 12137)
1) defualt country could be specified & added if number does not contain country code. I use 00. pattern in my smart plans, but normaly pages has (localcode) + number.

3) context menu should give option to dial as national 0xxxxxx or international 00xxxxxxxx.

Both excellent ideas... see my next post for how I might implement this.

Quote:

2) should strip out non numeric characters. e.g (089) 1234 345-0 should convert to 08912343450

It should already do this. Does it not?

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Craig

craig 08-28-2007 11:24 PM

OK, so based on the feedback I have received so far, here is what I was thinking in terms of the configuration panel:

Code:

Your Phone Number  _______
[ ]  Dial Immediately

Display call results in:
( ) New window  ( ) Same window  ( ) New tab  ( ) Popup window

Normal Dialling Prefix  _______
[ ] Strip leading zeros

International Dialling Prefix  _______
[ ] Strip leading zeros

Then in the context menu, I would have two options:

Code:

Call via Voxalot
Call via Voxalot (Intl)

The behaviour would be something along the lines of:

- Strip non-numeric chars from selected number
- If (strip leading zeros checked), then strip leading zeros
- If (dialling prefix not blank), then add dialling prefix
- Open appropriate results view (window, tab, popup)
- If (not dial immediately), show web call back entry screen with current numbers
- If (dial immediately), show web call back results screen.

Any thing I have missed?

Craig

kurun 08-29-2007 04:20 AM

Quote:

Strip non-numeric chars from selected number
Does that include stripping asterisks[*] out of the string?
How will a number like *010-34567 or **473*266-300 be handled ?

Is it possible to include a SIP address in the form :
sip:ABC123@sip.joesvoip.net

Not sure if this is compatible with the calling patterns in Voxalot.

Thanks

craig 08-29-2007 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurun (Post 12180)
How will a number like *010-34567 or **473*266-300 be handled ?

That would pass through *01034567 and **473*266300 respectively. ie. we don't strip asterisks. (Maybe I should strip all asterisks except the leading one?)

Note that the version of VoxFox that the beta-testers are using currently has a bug where it is stripping the asterisks. That has already been fixed in my dev environment.

Quote:

Is it possible to include a SIP address in the form:
sip:ABC123@sip.joesvoip.net
That one passes through untouched as VoxFox recognises it as a SIP URI. However, there is currently a limitation of the web call-back that it doesn't support SIP URIs. When that limitation is removed, though, I don't want people to have to re-download VoxFox, so I plan to build-in support for it now.

Hope that helps.

--
Craig

kurun 08-29-2007 01:37 PM

I would suggest that you do not strip any asterisks.
Many providers (Eg. Voiptalk) use a prefix (like **473) with a leading asterisk to access a service (Eg. Sipbroker), and then still need an asterisk in the main part of the number.
I use this feature if I need to display that particular VSP as the CID in some cases.

tomblandford 08-29-2007 04:17 PM

I've tried a few websites now and the number to call field is not being populated. My number is there (the one I put in the options tab of the extension). What am I doing wrong here :confused:

As for having to login each time, I wonder if you can use the mobile.voxalot.com webpage to avoid this?

craig 08-29-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblandford (Post 12197)
I've tried a few websites now and the number to call field is not being populated. My number is there (the one I put in the options tab of the extension). What am I doing wrong here

Hmmm... that is odd. I presume that before you click on the Call via Voxalot menu item that you have selected the phone number (ie. highlighted it in firefox as though you are going to cut'n'paste it)?

Quote:

As for having to login each time, I wonder if you can use the mobile.voxalot.com webpage to avoid this?
If you select the "Remember me" checkbox when you login, you won't be prompted to login every time.

mobile.voxalot.com works in exactly the same way... the mobile.voxalot.com codepath is exactly the same as the normal web pages; the only difference between the two is what gets rendered on the screen. So, if you don't get prompted for mobile.voxalot.com, it would be because when you originally logged on, you would have checked the "Remember me" field. Does that make sense?

--
craig

tomblandford 08-30-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig (Post 12208)
Hmmm... that is odd. I presume that before you click on the Call via Voxalot menu item that you have selected the phone number (ie. highlighted it in firefox as though you are going to cut'n'paste it)?

OK, that's working now! Sorry, I hadn't realised that was necessary.

Got the remember me option going now. thanks.
Tom

EDIT:
PS - I love this app. Thanks for putting it together.

tomblandford 08-30-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

I know your coding removes symbols such as + and you are currently working on what to do with * for SipBroker calls. My suggestion is to have an option that allows the user to say what + should be converted to. In most cases the choice would be 00. It is typical in Europe for numbers to start +44 or +33 etc. This may not be recognised by a dial plan.
Tom

majo 08-30-2007 07:49 PM

web call back suggession

Hi,
In webcallback status page, there should be button to cancel ongoing call. If some body dial some number by mistak or incorrect number then he could stop the initiated call.
After call is finished, there sould be option to add dialed number in web address book if not already there.

How about implementing webcallback as provider? That will be good option for provider like NoNoH.

Telèfon Web: Betamax php script
Instructions - finarea-midlet - Google Code

Regards.

majo

craig 08-30-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblandford (Post 12229)
My suggestion is to have an option that allows the user to say what + should be converted to. In most cases the choice would be 00. It is typical in Europe for numbers to start +44 or +33 etc.

That's not a bad idea. However, it occurred to me you should be able to achieve the same result (with the new options I described a bit earlier) by putting 00 in your VoxFox International Prefix and then using the "Call via Voxalot (Intl)" menu item. This will strip the +'s and prefix it with 00.

Does that help?

--
Craig

craig 08-30-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majo (Post 12230)
In webcallback status page, there should be button to cancel ongoing call. If some body dial some number by mistak or incorrect number then he could stop the initiated call.
After call is finished, there sould be option to add dialed number in web address book if not already there.

Both good ideas. I have captured the requirements in our feature tracking database. Thanks for the feedback.

--
Craig

tomblandford 08-31-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig (Post 12231)
That's not a bad idea. However, it occurred to me you should be able to achieve the same result (with the new options I described a bit earlier) by putting 00 in your VoxFox International Prefix and then using the "Call via Voxalot (Intl)" menu item. This will strip the +'s and prefix it with 00.

Does that help?

--
Craig

Yes, that would work. Look forward to the new features. Great app.
Tom

wmp 09-06-2007 08:10 PM

Is there anywhere we can re-download VoxFox? The link from the pm doesn't work. My Firefox profile was nuked and I lost all my extensions.

craig 09-06-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmp (Post 12467)
Is there anywhere we can re-download VoxFox? The link from the pm doesn't work. My Firefox profile was nuked and I lost all my extensions.

If you can hang on a day or so, I am almost finished the next version. If I haven't got it deployed by the end of the weekend, I will PM you a copy of the old one.

--
Craig

majo 09-07-2007 09:36 PM

Webcallback design like nonoh!!!!!!!

Hi,
It will be very nice if web address book could be designed like nonoh webcallback address book. That is very simple to have multiple number of same person and i don't have to care from number. If i access nonoh webcall from office it will remeber my office number and if i access from home it will remember my home number.

Regards.

majo

craig 09-25-2007 04:27 AM

Many thanks to all the beta-testers for VoxFox. We have released it into the wild as part of the public release today, so could everyone please upgrade to the latest public version? The download page is here and the download link is at the very top of the page.

The old copy will probably still work, but the new one is much improved, and it also takes advantage of the built-in FireFox upgrade mechanism (so when we release newer versions you will automatically get prompted to install.) Thanks again to everyone for the help and suggestions.

Craig

affinity 10-05-2007 12:29 PM

Is the VoxFox page supposed to be easy to find? I had to do a search to find it. I thought there might have been a link on the front page, it wasn't and I wasn't sure where else to look.

kurun 10-05-2007 01:39 PM

Mia ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by affinity (Post 13194)
Is the VoxFox page supposed to be easy to find? I had to do a search to find it. I thought there might have been a link on the front page, it wasn't and I wasn't sure where else to look.

Interesting point !
The search feature on the VoXaLoT Account logged in page (not the Forum page) only returns hits in the Voxalot/SipBroker support forum. No hits returned within the account or main pages.

affinity 10-05-2007 01:44 PM

Actually I searched from the main Voxalot webpage, not the forum.

Perhaps this thread should be a sticky? Or maybe a new sticky on the Voxalot General forum announcing the existence of VoxFox...

craig 10-06-2007 12:09 AM

Yeah, I don't know why that is. The search box at the top of the Voxalot web site should search both the forums and the site itself, but for some reason the Voxfox page isn't getting indexed. Weird... I'm still trying to figure out why that is.

As for not being able to find it on the home page, I agree... it isn't easy to find. I'm trying to find a logical spot to put it. It probably doesn't really deserve its own link on the home page... maybe somewhere in Benefits or Services. Not sure yet.

--
Craig