Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   EU Service Improvements (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=3810)

martin 02-19-2009 11:04 AM

EU Service Improvements

Hello,

As you are aware, we have recently had severe problems with our EU service.

Not only have our data centre SLA's not been met, but our reputation has been badly tarnished. As such, we would like to open up to the community for your suggestions on how we should restructure our EU service.

- What ISP service provider would you recommend we use?
- Where should we locate our EU servers? ATM the EU server is hosted by LeaseWeb in Amsterdam?

FYI, once we select a new provider, we plan to install 2 load balanced EU servers in separate data centres (like we do in US cluster).

We realise that for many of you this recent outage is unacceptable, and for that we sincerely apologise. However, we are still committed to try an improve our EU service, so please, post your suggestions here.

Thanks for your understanding.

dimitrivisser 02-19-2009 11:25 AM

I don't know what you need... How much datatraffic each month ? Specifications of the server ? Budget ?

I have my own colocated server. Thinking about moving it to www.transip.nl . I am a customer there already and they always promptly reply to even the smallest and most stupid questions :-) They do so already for several years and now they also have their own datacentre. I am only surprised to see their website is only in Dutch. They have a dedicated server https://www.transip.nl/dedicated-server/ The page is mainly in Dutch, but I think the most important information is also easy to understand for English speakers.

If I can help you in any way just let me know.

martin 02-19-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrivisser (Post 21610)
I don't know what you need... How much datatraffic each month ?

At least a 1000GB per month

stezanos 02-19-2009 12:01 PM

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the efforts on solving the current issue with the EU server.

I'm looking into a problem which goes even "further" than this issue with the EU server itself. As many of us in the voxalot community, I have configured ATAs with voxalot service to relatives and friends scattered around the world. Now that there's a problem with the server, I have no physical way of going to the geographical places where those ATAs are configured (some more than 10,000km away) and change the settings on them. Also, as the users are relatives who don't know anything about technology (that's the marvel of VoIP technology), I have no way of telling them how to make the changes to the US or AU servers.

So, my question is (and I'm technically challenged in order to understand if I have a wrong concept on this), is it possible that when any ATA is pointing at *.voxalot.com, Voxalot redirects that to the best server available (eu, us, au, etc.) ? .

Hoping that what I'm saying is not a totally ridiculous thing,

Best regards and thanks!

Santiago
Montevideo, Uruguay

dimitrivisser 02-19-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 21613)
At least a 1000GB per month

Price structure is often so that if you exceed the 1000 GB limit it is usually cheaper to use a second colocated or dedicated server than to pay for extra traffic.

With this company it is the same; They for example offer colocated hosting 100 GB for E 45, 1000 GB for E 59, extra traffic E 39 for 200 GB.

Dedicated server with 1000 GB included is E 129, extra traffic E 39 for 200 GB. If you need 1600 GB and have to pay for 600 GB more you can have 2 servers with 1000 GB each for the same price.

gotalkvoip 02-19-2009 12:27 PM

stezanos question

au.voxalot.com is directed to the australian server, same with us.voxa,... to america and eu,.. to europe,.

why voxalot needs a more reliable eu server as everyone directed to that server is having issues

unless your asking if its possible to have ata pointing to address,.

*.voxalot.com

don't think its possible

gotalkvoip 02-19-2009 12:38 PM

feel in the mood for helping out tonight:D

stezanos your issue with "I have no physical way of going to the geographical places where those ATAs are configured"

my resolve is to have remote access to those ATA's, just a matter of setting those ata's with remote access and emailing your friends for there current IP address if they haven't got a static IP address to use to enter ito there ATA's

dimitrivisser 02-19-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stezanos (Post 21617)
So, my question is (and I'm technically challenged in order to understand if I have a wrong concept on this), is it possible that when any ATA is pointing at *.voxalot.com, Voxalot redirects that to the best server available (eu, us, au, etc.) ? .

It is very difficult to descide what is te BEST server to use. There is a database with ipnumbers and their geographical location. But this doesn't work with all ipnumbers. And sometimes the information is not correct. I have Compuserve ADSL at home and for some time it said my computer was located in the USA, while actually I live in The Netherlands.
And even if you are sure about the geografical location you cannot always say what is the best server. This also depends on routing of your acces provider. It is very well possible that for you it is for example best to use the USA server, while for your neighbour who lives 10 metres away from you and uses another acces provider the Australian server is maybe better to use.

I live in The Netherlands and at home I use Compuserve. All traffic first goes to Amsterdam, from there to Germany, and from Germany back to Amsterdam. For me a server in Germany would be better, faster, than a server in Amsterdam.

But I agree with you... In this case it would be nice if there was a redirect away from to EU server to any other server. Because any server is better than a not working EU server :-)

191727 02-19-2009 01:28 PM

Hi Martin and all,

Thanks for the efforts you have been taking. As Voxalot always offer a reliable service ot its clients, we are very satisfied till now except some problems with EU server. The EU server has been giving us problems often and the initiative to move the server to another service provider is an excellent idea.

Here, I would like to refer an award winning webhost that is also used by Lund University, Sweden. The price is also very reasonable. I myself also a client for my business. I never found any problem with them. Custermer Service is very prompt.

You may read more on their website (one.com): One.com Web hosting**-**Domain • Hosting • E-mail**

dimitrivisser 02-19-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 191727 (Post 21624)
You may read more on their website (one.com): One.com Web hosting**-**Domain • Hosting • E-mail**

They only do webhosting...