Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   2 mynetfone accounts (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=2755)

mhkb 01-21-2008 03:46 AM

2 mynetfone accounts

I have 2 MyNetFone accounts for different members of my household and wanted to set them up using Voxalot on different dial plans (eg. prefix determines MyNetFone account). Both accounts have their own DID's, but since I only wanted to use 1 of the DID's, I registered for a VoxLite account. I've setup the accounts and I can dial out using the account with the registered DID, but using the other account returns a call hang-up signal. If I switch the accounts (ie. which has 'SIP Register' ticked) the other account then works, so I know both accounts work. I also have a WorldDialPoint account without DID and that works fine. Does anyone know if I need to upgrade to a VoxPro account to use 2 MyNetFone accounts for outgoing calls? I've noticed VoxPro allows me to upgrade, but will charge me $15 USD, where the original price difference was only $10 USD.

ozimarco 01-21-2008 01:59 PM

Both MNF accounts need to be registered in order to make outgoing calls so, yes, you would need a VoxPro account if you wanted to do that. MNF is one of a very few VSPs that need registration for outgoing calls.

mhkb 01-22-2008 02:15 AM

Thanks ozimarco for the info. I wish Voxalot mentioned somewhere that some VSPs require registration for outgoing calls and maybe even mentioning which ones. Under the account types they mention the number of provider SIP registrations for inbound calls, so I figured any number of VSP accounts could be used for outgoing calls. Now I need to spend another $15 USD just to make outgoing calls on my second MNF account - which is a total rip-off.

kurun 01-22-2008 03:05 AM

Voxalot - Global Provider Index

Actually, very few providers require registration for outgoing calls.
It's unfortunate that MNF is one of them.

Tony 01-22-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhkb (Post 15211)
Thanks ozimarco for the info. I wish Voxalot mentioned somewhere that some VSPs require registration for outgoing calls and maybe even mentioning which ones. Under the account types they mention the number of provider SIP registrations for inbound calls, so I figured any number of VSP accounts could be used for outgoing calls. Now I need to spend another $15 USD just to make outgoing calls on my second MNF account - which is a total rip-off.

It is mentioned here:

VoxBasic (Free)

Note: Some Voice Service Providers require a SIP registration before an outbound call can be made. A VoxPremium account is required for members that wish to make outbound calls using these types of providers.

Tony.

mhkb 01-23-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony (Post 15222)
It is mentioned here:

VoxBasic (Free)

Note: Some Voice Service Providers require a SIP registration before an outbound call can be made. A VoxPremium account is required for members that wish to make outbound calls using these types of providers.

Tony.

Could this note be added under the other account types and perhaps add "Check your provider under the Global Provider Index"? Then, under the Global Provider Index, show under each listing if the provider has this requirement. Maybe the number of people getting stung by this are so few it's not worth it, but I think it would be worthwhile.

VoipAlot 09-02-2008 07:35 PM

Inline and Extrinsic Help and Documentation on WebPages.

I agree.
There is very little 'intrinsic' documentation on the pages, especially when adding a VSP.
You NEED to explain what each box is asking for, whether it is required, and whether you can enter custom details. (e.g. why put the Account User ID in two boxes, It would be great to be able to place a CID (Caller ID) or DID number in the top telephone number box.

But there is not much 'intrinsic' documentation throughout the website (i.e. italic help next to boxes and questions).

This would assist many users, AND reduce the number of posts in the forum for help.

Cheers,
Emma.

emoci 09-02-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoipAlot (Post 18791)
I agree.
There is very little 'intrinsic' documentation on the pages, especially when adding a VSP.
You NEED to explain what each box is asking for, whether it is required, and whether you can enter custom details. (e.g. why put the Account User ID in two boxes, It would be great to be able to place a CID (Caller ID) or DID number in the top telephone number box.

But there is not much 'intrinsic' documentation throughout the website (i.e. italic help next to boxes and questions).

This would assist many users, AND reduce the number of posts in the forum for help.

Cheers,
Emma.

For a comprehensive list of setups, configurations and definitions please see:
Main Page - Voxalot FAQ

For the major issues and conclusions that have resulted from Forum based topics please see:
http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...solutions.html

VoipAlot 09-02-2008 09:54 PM

No what i'm saying is that a majority of your uses won't even be aware of your forum, let alone want to spend the time getting to know how it works, and learning what to ask.

I was so irritated with the way it took over 12 hours for the VSP's to register, especially since 2 of them had never even been used by any device or logged in before.

If a VSP is added, it should attempt to connect WITHIN 30 seconds.
If you modify it, it should update WITHIN 3 minutes.
Etc. etc. etc.

As for the pages where you are meant to set up the details, there is no information on what means what (considering you use words even I've never heard before!)

If you want to cater your service and make it attractive to a wide audience (not just I.T. guru's) then you will have to increase the online documentation available (which DOESN"T mean a download, but means that when you either hover over a point, or a small box of text next to a field).
I really feel this is neccessary as there are questions and settings required that don't stick to any conformity within the VoIP scene....

Thanks for the fast response.

If you could please note the problems with the length of time for registrations.

Thanks!
Em.

emoci 09-02-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoipAlot (Post 18797)
I was so irritated with the way it took over 12 hours for the VSP's to register, especially since 2 of them had never even been used by any device or logged in before.

If a VSP is added, it should attempt to connect WITHIN 30 seconds.
If you modify it, it should update WITHIN 3 minutes.
Etc. etc. etc.

All regsitrations are usually complete within 5 minutes. At least with the providers I've personally had to use and/or test so far.

The length for the registration to complete may have had something to do with one of:
1. Your VoIP provider having uptime issues when the registration was first attempted
2. The registration may have coincided with an issue with the eu server last week (this only applies if you're using the EU server)

Nonetheless if you can list the providers you had trouble with, we can try to investigate if something is amiss.

Quote:

As for the pages where you are meant to set up the details, there is no information on what means what (considering you use words even I've never heard before!)

If you want to cater your service and make it attractive to a wide audience (not just I.T. guru's) then you will have to increase the online documentation available (which DOESN"T mean a download, but means that when you either hover over a point, or a small box of text next to a field).
The available documentation on the VoXalot Wiki is quite comprehensive and is available directly on the web without any downloads required.

That said, the idea of a small POPUP explanation is a good one which I'll be happy to pass on to Martin, Craig and Tony.

Quote:

I really feel this is neccessary as there are questions and settings required that don't stick to any conformity within the VoIP scene....
Not quite sure what you mean here. The fields found in VoXalot are similar to those found in Hosted PBXes and Asterisk servers everywhere, as well as corresponding with certain fields within normal ATA devices.

The basic provider setup (remember Advanced Settings are only required in very specific cases and should only be used in such cases) includes a Username, Pass, Proxy and Port field just like any ATA device would.

I can say that of the current available Hosted PBX options to consumers VoXalot is the more user-friendly one both in interface and available documentation (the other two options being PBXes and MySipSwitch, and possibly LiberaIlVoip if you're familiar with Italian) ... and I don't simply say this as a mod, since you'll notice I'm relatively involved at MSS as well.