Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Untimed International Calls? How? (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=132)

Mallycat 05-02-2006 01:05 PM

Untimed International Calls? How?

I understand how you can get an untimed international call by getting an Australian VSP to call an Australian number and an International VSP to call an international number, and using VoXaLot web call back to join the calls. However how does this work using 2 Australian VSPs to make untimed international calls?:confused:

Matt

evilbunny 05-02-2006 01:51 PM

What international VSPs offer untimed calls in the US?

Mallycat 05-02-2006 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilbunny
What international VSPs offer untimed calls in the US?

I'm making an assumption here that if there is an Australian VSP that has untimed national calls, then there probably is a US bases VSP that offers untimed US national calls. Connecting them using web call back creates untimed international calls.

My real question however is I am lead to believe from Martin that you can use Web Callback to make international calls using 2 Australian VSPs. But is this untimed or timed?

Matt

DracoFelis 05-02-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallycat
My real question however is I am lead to believe from Martin that you can use Web Callback to make international calls using 2 Australian VSPs.

Yes. Or any two VoIP providers for that matter.

Quote:

But is this untimed or timed?

Depends upon the VoIP providers. If both VoIP providers used allow "untimed" calls (for the places they are connecting to), than the total "web call" is "untimed". However, if either (or both) of the VoIP providers "charge by the minute", you will pay those "per minute" rates.

NOTE: Don't forget that anyplace reachable via SIP Broker dialing (i.e. these codes: http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/a...iderWhitePages ) is a free "untimed" connection (and so you won't pay for that section of the call, if you are using "SIP Broker" to complete it). And if you have your own VoIP adapter (connected up to VoXaLot), you can tell "Web Call" to call you via your VoXaLot number (again for free).

Mallycat 05-02-2006 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DracoFelis
Depends upon the VoIP providers. If both VoIP providers used allow "untimed" calls (for the places they are connecting to), than the total "web call" is "untimed". However, if either (or both) of the VoIP providers "charge by the minute", you will pay those "per minute" rates.

OK, so that confirms what I thought. If you use 2 Australian VSPs, you call costs will be timed. If you can find a VSP at your destination that offers untimed calls to that region, the call costs will be untimed.

And yes I understand the ENUM and SIP broker potential benefits - it doesn't get any better than that.

Matt

evilbunny 05-03-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

I'm making an assumption here that if there is an Australian VSP that has untimed national calls, then there probably is a US bases VSP that offers untimed US national calls.

making an ASS out of U and ME :)

As far as I'm aware the only options in the US is about US$15/mo for unlimited calls, there is no notion of untimed calls...

Mallycat 05-03-2006 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilbunny
making an ASS out of U and ME :)

As far as I'm aware the only options in the US is about US$15/mo for unlimited calls, there is no notion of untimed calls...

Sooo, to bring this to a painless end, please confirm that the only way to get untimed international calls using voxalot web call back is to take a local vsp with untimed calls and a destination vsp wiht untimed calls.

Further, just to confirm, you cannot get untimed international calls from 2 Australian VSPs?

Matt

andy 05-03-2006 11:01 AM

Sorry if this is naive about something you've discounted, or can't be used.

Can you sign up from Australia with one of the various Finarea companies, like Voipcheap, Voipbuster, InternetCalls etc? - listed on this blog page http://doulos.wordpress.com/technica.../betamax-voip/

For a credit of €10 per 120 days, you get free calls to up to 40 countries. You need to use some of the credit on chargeable calls though, as it will expire if unused, and from what I've read it's difficult topping-up when hardly used. At a push, you could call your mobile for a while.

They've just introduced a 20 hours per month fair use limit for free calls, but that averages out pretty cheap.

You can get a free incoming number in a few European countries, with call forwarding, which might be useful for people visiting here, either with Sipbroker to call home , or (the other way round) could be forwarded to a roaming mobile

BJReplay 05-03-2006 11:05 AM

I'll chip in late here...

Astratel has "19 cent untimed" calls to a bunch of destinations (22 countries) - first 60 minutes for 19 cents.

Pennytel as "15 minutes free" to 30 countries (but not shown as tested working in the sticky).

Voipbuster/stunt shown as working (free PSTN calls to a bunch of countries).

I don't think you can get true untimed calls, but you can get pretty close - say voipstunt and astratel. Costs you to maintain the voipstunt account, but other than that, not much.

evilbunny 05-04-2006 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJReplay
Astratel has "19 cent untimed" calls to a bunch of destinations (22 countries) - first 60 minutes for 19 cents.

I should have made myself clear (if this is a reply to me) I'm after a VSP in the US with untimed calls since the latency is an issue otherwise.