Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   ENUM + Dial Plans (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=34)

Ron 03-23-2006 06:24 AM

ENUM + Dial Plans

It appears that ENUM (and SipBroker) screening occurs before dial plans are tested for a match. For a simple scenario of one provider and a dial plan of _1NXXNXXXXXX assigned to that provider, all works well.

I have more than one provider and would like a way to specify an alternate provider at the time I'm placing a call. My initial thought was to set up the following dial plans:

_1NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN} --> Provider-1 (default)
_#11NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN:2} --> Provider-2 (alternate 1)
_#21NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN:2} --> Provider-3 (alternate 2)

Using these three dial plans, normal dialing (1 + AreaCode + Number) gets ENUM checked and goes off to Provider-1 if ENUM didn't find a match.

Using the #1 or #2 prefix goes out to the appropriate alternate provider, but ENUM never finds a match because the prefix characters haven't been stripped yet.

What magic am I missing to allow selecting a desired provider AND still having ENUM checked?

martin 03-23-2006 06:48 AM

Nice spot. The problem is that the ENUM lookup is performed against the dialled number and not your stripped number.

There are cases where the ENUM lookup should be done before stripping/altering the number and sometimes after (like your requirement).

For the most part, the before checking would cater for the majority.

Let us think about the possibility of a 2nd lookup and see how viable that is.

v164 03-24-2006 03:52 PM

ENUM + dial plans

> Using the #1 or #2 prefix goes out to the appropriate
> alternate provider, but ENUM never finds a match because
> the prefix characters haven't been stripped yet.
>
> What magic am I missing to allow selecting
> a desired provider AND still having ENUM checked?

Perhaps you could setup an additional voxalot account for each alternate provider, and then forward the modified (stripped) number to voxalot using that account.

That would do ENUM lookup on the second time around, and then go to the provider as defined in the dial plan of the additional account.

So instead of...

_#11NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN:2} --> Provider-2 (alternate 1)
_#21NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN:2} --> Provider-3 (alternate 2)

It would look like...

_#11NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN:2} --> 1NXXNXXXXXX@voxalot.com[account2]
_#21NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN:2} --> 1NXXNXXXXXX@voxalot.com[account3]

[voxalot account2] dialplan
_1NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN} --> Provider-2 (default)

[voxalot account3] dialplan
_1NXXNXXXXXX ${EXTEN} --> Provider-3 (default)

Ron 03-24-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v164
Perhaps you could setup an additional voxalot account for each alternate provider, and then forward the modified (stripped) number to voxalot using that account.

That would do ENUM lookup on the second time around, and then go to the provider as defined in the dial plan of the additional account.

I suppose that might work, but it's pretty messy.

I'm going to hold out for a more elegant solution.

martin 03-24-2006 08:50 PM

hi anominous, interested in your feedback on whether my proposal will address your problem.

edit: realised post was refering to another

Ron 03-24-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin
hi anominous, interested in your feedback on whether my proposal will address your problem.

edit: realised post was refering to another

Martin,

I'm confused about the above. Please clarify.

New question:

Regarding incoming call forwarding, will the destination URI field honor authenticated SIP URI's, such as:

Code:

sip:username:password@proxy:port

martin 03-24-2006 11:49 PM

Hi anominous,

re: the second lookup (see below quote). The call forward URI is used unaltered. So as long as the validation lets it save, it will be set as typed.

Martin

Quote:

Nice spot. The problem is that the ENUM lookup is performed against the dialled number and not your stripped number.

There are cases where the ENUM lookup should be done before stripping/altering the number and sometimes after (like your requirement).

For the most part, the before checking would cater for the majority.

Let us think about the possibility of a 2nd lookup and see how viable that is.

Ron 03-25-2006 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v164

v164,

I've thought about your proposal a bit more and it has a real downside in addition to being messy and awful to maintain. The second-stage Voxalot accounts would use incoming forwarding table entries to get to the alternate providers and would have to use authenticated SIP URI's. The password portion of these URI's would remain in the clear and unencrypted within the Voxalot system. This is just too risky.

Ron 03-25-2006 04:54 AM

Quote:

For some reason, my brain took a long time to figure out what you were referring to :) . I didn't realize you were wanting my feedback until just now.

Offhand, I can't think of a reason not to do an ENUM lookup before AND after any stripping. I think it's either that or a radio-button to select before OR after lookups. I'm anxiously awaiting the implementation of something so I can enter some more dial plans :) .

martin 03-25-2006 05:04 AM

Ok how about this. We always do up front ENUM lookup. This is across the system as it is right now. On the advanced dialplan entry page there is a checkbox that says "ENUM Lookup" next to the replacement field. If selected then a second ENUM lookup will take place on the replacement number.

What do you think?

Edit: added more clarification to the sugestion