Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CallForwarding by Betamax stops working!? (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=2546)

130166 11-13-2007 01:37 PM

CallForwarding by Betamax stops working!?

Is something wrong?
Call forward by Betamax VSP is not working. If I choose other provider, forward works ok, but with smsdiscount I have freedays, so I prefer Betamax. I remember about half year ago was the same.
(Call out by Betamax works ok.)

Somebody else same problem?

account 130166, server eu

tomblandford 11-13-2007 02:16 PM

Yep, I have the same problem with VoipDiscount. It is just call fwd - I can make calls with Betamax.

130166 11-14-2007 08:08 AM

Call Connection Rules using betamax-providers don't work.

Only me and tomblandford?
Can Martin or colleg have a look in my account why not working?
My account is 130166
The callconnectionrule is:
900 Y any weekday 9:00 18:00 number 0031252...... SMSDiscount JOHN0031

dimitrivisser 11-14-2007 10:09 AM

It's the same here. I use voipcheap to forward calls. It worked perfectly for the last couple of months but now not anymore.
I noticed it today, but yesterday I didn't receive any calls so maybe the problem started yesterday.

I didn't change anything myself so it must be the voxalot-betamax problem again. I am using the eu server.

dimitrivisser 11-14-2007 03:47 PM

Is someone from voxalot reading this ? Or is it better to email for support ?

130166 11-14-2007 05:07 PM

Mostly read, but indeed slowly reaktion now. Holiday in au?:)

For now:
Can somebody confirm or call forward with betamax work with us.voxalot.com?
(I remember in the beginning only problems with eu.voxalot.com)

chatalot 11-14-2007 08:13 PM

Sorry, I dont really want to start messing with my ATA to set it to us.voxalot.com but I can confirm that forwarding is working with eu.voxalot.com and voipcheap.com (betamax).

Is there any way to forward the original CallerID when forwarding calls with betamax?

martin 11-14-2007 08:21 PM

I suspect this is a problem with the Betamax FUP

Betamax require an IP address to be passed to them in the SIP message for any call originating from Voxalot.

Normally this would be the IP address of your ATA or Web Browser if using Web Callback

For call forwarding however, the only IP address available is the one passed in the CONTACT URI received on the inbound i.e. the IP address of the DID provider etc of the call you are about the forward.

Are you guys noticing that some of your calls are forwarding and others are not?

130166 11-15-2007 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 14108)
Are you guys noticing that some of your calls are forwarding and others are not?

All calls to budgetphone.nl-number forwarded to work PSTN number fails anyway. And after your question try call to other number and seems only call forwards from incoming calls on budgetphone.nl number fails. So seems no general problem voxalot/betamax but with Budgetphone.nl?

I have not very much with CONTACT URI stuff. What I have to do. Contact Budgetphone.nl? What must I tell them? Or can you see something strange in your logs with calls to budgetphone.nl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin (Post 14108)
For call forwarding however, the only IP address available is the one passed in the CONTACT URI received on the inbound i.e. the IP address of the DID provider etc of the call you are about the forward.

So Budgetphone.nl stops sending CONTACT URI since yesterday?

tomblandford 11-15-2007 09:17 AM

So far none of my calls have gone through but I switched to another provider temporarily yesterday to keep it working. When a call originates from a POTS landline what IP is sent? Surely the only one available is the Voxalot EU server IP or the IP of my incoming provider? So it must be that one of these two is being blocked due to FUP? Give that other people are suffering, it would appear to be Voxalots EU server. Since the FUP limit is reset weekly, it may be OK next week. Not an ideal situation though - can't rely on calls working.

martin 11-15-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblandford (Post 14115)
When a call originates from a POTS landline what IP is sent? Surely the only one available is the Voxalot EU server IP or the IP of my incoming provider?

It is the IP address of the CONTACT hostname sent by the provider not the Voxalot server.

This is the most sensible IP address to use in this scenario. Unfortunately, we have no control over the Betamax FUP around IP addresses.

dimitrivisser 11-15-2007 10:43 AM

What are the requirements for the ipnumber passed to Betamax ? What I see here is that different ipadresses are used;

Quote:

Normally this would be the IP address of your ATA or Web Browser if using Web Callback

It is the IP address of the CONTACT hostname sent by the provider not the Voxalot server.
If using the ipnumber of the DID provider and many users are using the same provider the FUP policy of voipbuster/voipcheap (Betamax) is exceeded very fast.

Maybe it is possible to make an extra option in the setup - Member Details to let users specify their own ADSL/Cable or so ipadress and use that ipadres for Betamax ?

martin 11-15-2007 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrivisser (Post 14117)
Maybe it is possible to make an extra option in the setup - Member Details to let users specify their own ADSL/Cable or so ipadress and use that ipadres for Betamax ?

Nice idea but could be prone to abuse. The agreement made between Voxalot and Betamax a few months back was to pass the IP address of the UAC that originated the call.

Unfortunately in the case of provider / DID inbounds the only IP address that makes sense to pass on is the one in the CONTACT URI.

tomblandford 11-15-2007 11:49 AM

It would be better if Betamax charged us when FUP reached. That way we could at least rely on calls getting through. Can we assume that the calls will work again next week when FUP resets? At least for a while.

Given that call forwarding stopped working at the same time for us, we would have to assume we're both using the same inbound provider. Dimitri, 130166, are you using voip.co.uk?

130166 11-15-2007 12:24 PM

I am using Budgetphone.nl as inboundprovider.
(I do not know or they share server or are same company as voip.co.uk?)

And in my opinion too charging is better also because I can see it in the account then as extra signal.

dimitrivisser 11-15-2007 03:15 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately in the case of provider / DID inbounds the only IP address that makes sense to pass on is the one in the CONTACT URI.
I think it makes no sense to pass that IP. It's just an IP, maybe it's the only IP available at that moment but that doesn't mean you have to use it and that there is a reason to use it.

I understand Betamax has a FUP but using the ip of the DID provider can be seen as abuse also. It doesn't support the good operation of their FUP. When using multiple DID providers or using a dynamic IP with webcallback it's easy to avoid the FUP-effect.

I think it really makes more sense to let users specify an ipaddress in the setup of Voxalot and permit them to change it for only 1 time a month. I think that thats also an acceptable solution for Betamax. Ofcourse only if you're willing to spend some time on it and to make a new agreement with Betamax.

For me callforwarding with voipcheap/voipbuster is very important. It's the only provider I know of which is reliable and cheap for the destinations I need.

dimitrivisser 11-15-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Given that call forwarding stopped working at the same time for us, we would have to assume we're both using the same inbound provider. Dimitri, 130166, are you using voip.co.uk?
No, I use Budget Phone Company your shortcut to VOIP as DID provider (like user 130166). I have several numbers +31xxxx there and I forward them with Voxalot/voipcheap.com to my Cheap worldwide mobile calls no roaming costs mobile simcard. It's a simcard with almost free worldwide roaming and a +44 UK/Jersey phonenumber. With voipcheap I pay 9,5 eurocents a minute to forward the call to United Mobile.

Do you know other providers which I can use to forward calls to a +44 UK/Jersey mobile phonenumber ?

To answer the other part of your question; I am not using voip.co.uk but it's possible that other people do. Together with you they reached the Betamax FUP :D

emoci 11-15-2007 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrivisser (Post 14122)
No, I use Budget Phone Company your shortcut to VOIP as DID provider (like user 130166). I have several numbers +31xxxx there and I forward them with Voxalot/voipcheap.com to my Cheap worldwide mobile calls no roaming costs mobile simcard. It's a simcard with almost free worldwide roaming and a +44 UK/Jersey phonenumber. With voipcheap I pay 9,5 eurocents a minute to forward the call to United Mobile.

Do you know other providers which I can use to forward calls to a +44 UK/Jersey mobile phonenumber ?

To answer the other part of your question; I am not using voip.co.uk but it's possible that other people do. Together with you they reached the Betamax FUP :D

Well, at least in this case, FUP should not be the issue, calling a UM+ number is a charged call regardless of the IP sent, so this is possibly an unrelated issue, check if VoIPCheap.com has a record of calls being attempted.

Also keep in mind that depending on where you are using your UM+, sometimes you may not receive calls properly when roaming among networks (the more well developed the countries GSM network is the better chance of calls being received and call quality improving)

A way to try, is to temporarily forward to a different number and see if calls go through ok in that case (if this works, then the issue is probabky with UM+)

---Up to this point this probably does not help the other 2 posters having an issue-----

Three things to check:
-Fault with UM+ not receiving calls (this probably does not apply if the number you're calling is a normal cellphone/landline)
-BetaMax provider not forwarding calls (possibly due to FUP, but this would not be the case when your are calling UM+ for example, FUP does not affect this)
-An issue with the DID provider not accepting the redirect/forwarding (Try a SipBroker Access Number)

chatalot 11-15-2007 05:11 PM

I like the idea about entering our IP into voxalot but can see why it could be abused.

Can voxalot arrange to pass the voxalot account number for the account to Betamax so they can limit the calls from a particular account? As it is pre programmed into the voxalot account I can't see how this could be abused? as long as the call is initiated by one of voxalots servers only that is.

dimitrivisser 11-15-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Well, at least in this case, FUP should not be the issue, calling a UM+ number is a charged call regardless of the IP sent
I think Betamax blocks all calls (also the charged calls) when the FUP is reached. At least when using callforwarding with Voxalot. That was also the case before the eu server was "patched" a couple of months ago. It is strange they do this, but it's also strange they block free calls when the FUP is reached. When using Betamax directly for making calls they charge something for each minute when the FUP is reached. They can do this also with voxalot-callforwarding.

Quote:

Also keep in mind that depending on where you are using your UM+, sometimes you may not receive calls properly when roaming among networks
Don't say anything bad about United Mobile :) I love it too much.

Quote:

A way to try, is to temporarily forward to a different number and see if calls go through ok in that case (if this works, then the issue is probabky with UM+)
I tried forwarding to several other (non United Mobile) mobile and home phonenumbers. It doesn't work. All I get is a fast beep beep beep (busy tone).

Quote:

---Up to this point this probably does not help the other 2 posters having an issue-----
It also doesn't help me :confused:

emoci 11-15-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrivisser (Post 14125)
I think Betamax blocks all calls (also the charged calls) when the FUP is reached. At least when using callforwarding with Voxalot. That was also the case before the eu server was "patched" a couple of months ago. It is strange they do this, but it's also strange they block free calls when the FUP is reached. When using Betamax directly for making calls they charge something for each minute when the FUP is reached. They can do this also with voxalot-callforwarding.

Don't say anything bad about United Mobile :) I love it too much.

I tried forwarding to several other (non United Mobile) mobile and home phonenumbers. It doesn't work. All I get is a fast beep beep beep (busy tone).

It also doesn't help me :confused:

:) I have a UM+ card, depending on where I've been, it's been really good, or unreachable

All the above said, have you tried Build your service plan yourself for UM+

Does it work if you call through a SipBroker Access Number instead of your DID?

130166 11-15-2007 09:27 PM

[quote=emoci;14126
Does it work if you call through a SipBroker Access Number instead of your DID?[/QUOTE]

I have not tried this. But as told earlyer, I have tried with almost forgotten (but still registered in PBXes DID).
It seems only with Budgetphone.nl DID callforward with betamax fail.

dimitrivisser 11-15-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

I have a UM+ card, depending on where I've been, it's been really good, or unreachable
It helps if you manually select the network when you are in a country. Also for receiving sms messages it's better to stay on the same network.

Quote:

All the above said, have you tried <callwithus> for UM+.
I didn't try it before (never heard of them before). I registered, paid $5, and it works. A little bit. First it takes about 30 seconds to make the connection to my United Mobile number. Call quality is really very bad. I talk in one phone and 3 seconds later I hear myself on the other phone. With lots (too much) of noise.

Quote:

Does it work if you call through a SipBroker Access Number instead of your DID?
I still have a US phonenumber with talkdigits. This phonenumber is forwarded to 271171@eu.voxalot.com. I let Voxalot forward all calls with voipcheap (Betamax) to United Mobile and it works perfectly. I can call the US number and a couple of seconds later my United Mobile phone rings.

But all this shows one thing. It is possible to forward from a budgetphone DID to United Mobile with another (not Betamax) provider. It is possible to forward from another (not budgetphone) DID provider to United Mobile with voipcheap (Betamax).

The conclusion for me is that there's no problem with Budgetphone, not with Voxalot, not with United Mobile and not with Voipcheap (Betamax). It's the combination Budgetphone/Voxalot/Voipcheap. And probably it's the Budgetphone IP exceeding the Voipcheap FUP.

Lets do something with that stupid IP ;)

I was thinking... I can ofcourse forward my Budgetphone DID number with voxalot/callwithus to the US talkdigits phonenumber. This US phonenumber is forwarded to 271171@ex.voxalot.com. Than I can forward that call with voipcheap to the United Mobile number. I am curious. I will try tomorrow if I can get that to work ;)

haifischjunge 11-18-2007 01:12 PM

ive got the same problem... im forwarding my did (the provider is registered) to my cell, but for some days, instead of forwarding the call goes straight to the voicebox of my provider - like the call is dropped....

i could pm you my user number...
thx

satphoneguy 11-18-2007 08:03 PM

The thing with betamax is that the FUP constantly changes and is not clearly defined. I know that on some of the newest offerings such as voipraider free calls do not apply when using SIP; only when calls are made from the softphone application(and than only if you enter the name and number in the phone book before you call.) On some of the other betamax services free calls to certain destinations such as turkey can only be made from softphone or via callback and not from SIP. I can only think that their past records show that SIP users are heavy users and therefore not profitable; or that they mix and match services in such a way that they only use free minutes.

I have been surprised that betamax services have worked this long with call forwarding. It is pretty standard industry policy that free(or unlimited) calling plans can not be used for call forwarding or an sort of automated purpose. It could be that betamax has identified the IP's of DID providers are excluding those IP's for use within the FUP. Well this is all just speculation. Hopefully this will get cleared up.

andy 11-19-2007 03:04 AM

Do some of these problems still happen ifthese DIDs are forwarded direct to the provider SIP address rather than via Voxalot?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimitrivisser (Post 14122)
D

JustVoip is 6.5 cents at the moment

Quote:

Originally Posted by satphoneguy (Post 14180)
It could be that betamax has identified the IP's of DID providers are excluding those IP's for use within the FUP. Well this is all just speculation.

Well, not for ones that I can see

satphoneguy 11-19-2007 03:31 AM

Andy.

If I am not mistaken justvoip does not support SIP; and so not usable for call forwarding.

dimitrivisser 11-19-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

The thing with betamax is that the FUP constantly changes and is not clearly defined.
I have to disagree with this. For voipbuster and voipcheap the FUP didn't change for a very long time. It's also clearly explained on their website:

Registered users get max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and per unique IP address.

So if Voxalot uses the IP of the DID provider to register with voipbuster/voipcheap the FUP is 300 minutes a week devided by the number of Voxalot users using the same DID provider.

Quote:

It is pretty standard industry policy that free(or unlimited) calling plans can not be used for call forwarding or an sort of automated purpose.
There is no free/unlimited calling with voipbuster and voipcheap. And the number I use to forward my calls to is also not free.

dimitrivisser 11-19-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

JustVoip is 6.5 cents at the moment
Justvoip is also Betamax. They will probably use the same way to block calls if the FUP has been reached.

andy 11-19-2007 07:06 PM

I don't make a habit of posting false information

The Betamax FUP has not changed for over a year.

Notwithstanding Martin's comments above about the DID provider's IP address being the only one available ...

... I don't quite understand if people think someone has diagnosed that the IP address of the DID provider is indeed being analysed by Betamax fair use policy conditions, or if this has just been assumed rather easily to be the only possibility.

I doubt it myself, as I have had no problems, and I know that plenty of people in the UK are using this same provider. And I have seen no complaints on certain forums that calls are either not working or being charged.

I can't see any blocking of call forwarding either. This comment applies to my DIDs forwarded direct to Voipcheap or Voipbuster accounts, even with calls on the VC account forwarded via a DID and answered on the VB account. Likewise, calling to a DID forwarded to my Voxalot account, which I forwarded just at the moment using Voipcheap as provider to the DID pointed at the Voipbuster account, I have no problems.

And all these forwarded calls, either direct from the VC account or using VC in Voxalot, were free of charge in the VC account, not charged 1 cent a minute as some have suggested above, so is clearly still qualifying under the FUP.

Also, I haven't seen any comments surface yet on the Voipbuster forum about call forwarding problems with Budgetphone DIDs to Betamax accounts.

So I think that there is something else happening, rather than a Betamax FUP condition on DID suppliers. Or if there is, it doesn't apply to all.

As for call forwarding using JustVoip to my mobile, I don't wish to argue with people who suggest I am making this up, but I have been doing this for months. Just point a DID at the SIP address. Although there is (or was?) apparently no support for SIP registering for outgoing calls with JV, this particular trait has worked from the beginning. Or as someone suggested months ago, forward another Betamax account to the JV username

Also, why people are suggesting that call forwarding to chargeable destinations will be blocked by Betamax when a fair use policy is reached which does not even apply to such calls, I have no idea whatsoever.

I'm sorry I can't help with the problems that some people are having, but can we have a bit less guesswork and other issues please?

dimitrivisser 11-19-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry I can't help with the problems that some people are having, but can we have a bit less guesswork and other issues please?
I used to forward my budgetphone phonenumbers with voxalot and voipcheap. Then one day it stopped working. I didn't change anything. For me this is a big problem. I've spent hours last days to find out what happens.

I am a little bit disappointed by the support (or lack of that) from Voxalot. Is it possible to see in the logfiles what is happening when I forward a call ? The only thing I hear is a "busy" tone.

About the guesswork... If I see a moderator telling that they are using the DID providers IP address when forwarding a call and I read on the voipcheap/voipbuster website Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days and per unique IP address. then it's not guesswork anymore.

martin 11-20-2007 12:59 AM

Please PM me your account details and DID numbers etc.

tomblandford 11-20-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 14213)
... I don't quite understand if people think someone has diagnosed that the IP address of the DID provider is indeed being analysed by Betamax fair use policy conditions, or if this has just been assumed rather easily to be the only possibility.

yes, this may not be the cause and has been assumed rather too easily!

richard99 11-20-2007 11:40 AM

Callforwarding Betamax working too...

DID forwarding to Betamax VOIPBUSTER working too, only issue is FUP by Betamax if use with Pbxes then it is not freecalls (FUP).

I do not know what does make difference for call origination to Betamax.

emoci 11-20-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard99 (Post 14240)
DID forwarding to Betamax VOIPBUSTER working too, only issue is FUP by Betamax if use with Pbxes then it is not freecalls (FUP).

I do not know what does make difference for call origination to Betamax.

This is a bit unrelated to the thread. However what you are experiencing seems to happen with some BetaMax providers but not others. That said you should be able to make calls via VoipBuster through VoXalot (You>>VoXalot>>VoipBuster). You should also be able to make calls via VoipBuster through PBXes (You>>PBXes>>VoipBuster). You may or may not be succesful making call through VoipBuster, registered in VoXalot, in turn registered in PBXes (You>>PBXes>>VoXalot>>VoipBuster).

Now personally I tried InternetCalls in each of those combinations, and it worked in all three, hence it's not all BetaMax providers, it may even be as specific as server clusters used in PBXes or VoXalot, or access numbers used if using the callthrough method, or IP assigned to your mobile device when using a Mobile VoIP device. But all of that is nothing more than educated guesswork at best. The only way to get a better idea is if BetaMax was open about how things work on their end, and frankly that's hard to come by.

As for the gist of this thread, a number users using BudgetPhone DIDs and having VoXalot forward calls to this DIDs to a landline/cellphone via BetaMax providers (there were two specific ones I believe) have had trouble receiving calls.

Some have reported that changing to a different provider for forwarding, or changing to different DID from another VSP for incoming calls, seems to remedy the problem. That coupled with the explanation that the IP number sent to BetaMax maybe that of the originating DID led to suggestions that maybe these IPs are being treated as FUP.

There are a few holes to the story. Why wouldn't BetaMax charge the calls as FUP, rather than not completing them? If it is an FUP issue why would it prevent forwarding to mobile numbers which are rarely in the Free Calls list? Finally someone stated (http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...html#post14213) that they are succesfully using BudgetPhone DIDs and forwarding without issues.

Lastly Martin has asked everyone with the issue to contact him with an account number, and a quick explanation of the situation (http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...html#post14223)

Also a new development which may address issues for some people is http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...t-working.html

andy 11-20-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emoci (Post 14245)
Finally someone stated (http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...html#post14213) that they are succesfully using BudgetPhone DIDs and forwarding without issues.

To clarify: I didn't say I was using Budgetphone myself; I said I hadn't seen any issues mentioned on the Voipbuster forum from people who would be.

I agree with you that it's highly improbable that FUP would be used to block other calls that actually earn the company money.

martin 11-20-2007 07:58 PM

Thanks guys for the PMs and all the info sent through. We have set aside some time today to perform some more detailed analysis.

I will report back here with our findings.

Thanks again.

martin 11-21-2007 06:46 AM

Apologies guys as always I had a 101 things to do today and did not get a chance to look at this.

I have set aside some time tomorrow.

tomblandford 11-23-2007 04:58 PM

Any news Martin :D

herman 11-24-2007 09:50 AM

Just seen this thread. It now explains some of the problems I was having on voip.co.uk - it was a number then routed out by Voxalot via voipcheap.

It would appear to me that it is due to the FUP, but I guess they have just started applying it more stringently to certain providers.

Oh well, looks like I'll just have to use my ATA to do call forward, which is a shame, because the quality is not always so good.

Would appreciate knowing the results of your investigations Martin, just in case we can find a better way around this issue.