Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unable to Register ATA (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=3962)

docknden1 04-13-2009 06:02 PM

Unable to Register ATA

Hi Everyone,
I am unable to register my LINKSYS PAP2 after the outage that occured yesterday, I have tried tried all the realm that is us,eu and au but i am unable to connect all i get is the message "Cant Connect to login server"

I am using the non standard sip ports ie (80,443,2060,3060,4060) as the standard sip port is blocked by my TELCO.

Looking forward to any solutions to the issue.

docknden1 04-13-2009 07:05 PM

Any light on the issue please.

boatman 04-14-2009 03:17 AM

In your PAP2, what settings are you using for the following?

SIP Port:
Proxy:
Outbound Proxy:
Use Outbound Proxy:
Use OB Proxy In Dialog:

"Reg Retry Intvl:' is probably 30, you should change that to 120, or longer, in case of another outage. If your ISP doesn't want people using SIP then you don't want to draw their attention by sending many SIP packets. Your ISP may now be preventing the PAP2 from registering. You could try leaving the PAP2 off for a day then retry.

docknden1 04-14-2009 02:19 PM

Thanks a lot for that here are the details.

SIP Port: I tried all the Non Standard Ports (80,443,2060,3060,4060)
Proxy: (us/eu/au.voxalot.com portno)
Outbound Proxy: (us/eu/au.voxalot.com portno)
Use Outbound Proxy: "YES"
Use OB Proxy In Dialog: "YES"

"Reg Retry Intvl:" 30

My connection until the outage occurred i did not change anything on my ATA but unfortunately it fails to register some times the status changes to Offline.I was wondering as to how my telco or ISP can block me even when i am using the 80 or any other non standard port.

markk 04-14-2009 02:41 PM

Outage

Quote:

Originally Posted by docknden1 (Post 22725)
Hi Everyone,
I am unable to register my LINKSYS PAP2 after the outage that occured yesterday, I have tried tried all the realm that is us,eu and au but i am unable to connect all i get is the message "Cant Connect to login server"

I am using the non standard sip ports ie (80,443,2060,3060,4060) as the standard sip port is blocked by my TELCO.

Looking forward to any solutions to the issue.

First of all there is still outage on the "us" server so, assuming you didn't change anything else, most likely you are trying to login to that server that is out at the present time. It does not work for anybody else (most of the US etc.) and I personally switched to eu this morning and it works there.

It looks like the people at Voxalot do not know what they are doing. If you want to handle telephone calls you just can not have any outages like the one now. Actually, if you handle telephone traffic, or pretend that you do anything with telephone traffic, you just can not have ANY outages. PERIOD. Not even outages like this one once every 10 years, never mind once every other month or so like with Voxalot.

The VoIP landscape is littered with rotting bodies of start-ups, or walking dead, like PhoneGnome and now Voxalot is becoming one that had great ideas originally but could not solve the very first basic problem in any telecom - reliability.

If Voxalot wants to stay relevant and avoid further user loss they better STOP everything else NOW and start working on solving the realiability problem. This must be embarrasing to the company and with this track record there is just no way they can attract any mainstream users to the service going forward.

Either get some redundancy or completely get rid of the traffic handling and do something like Sip Switch - no matter what you do it HAS to be done and SOON.

mk

docknden1 04-14-2009 07:59 PM

Hi
I have even tried servers other than the US that is EU and AU with different ports i.e 80,443,2060,4060 but unfortunately my ATA does not register at all, i get the message "Cant Connect to Login Server".

I would be glad to know how i can debug the sip message from ATA i.e is there any software to do that.

Thanks in advance

boatman 04-14-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docknden1 (Post 22742)
Outbound Proxy: (us/eu/au.voxalot.com portno)

You need : between proxy and port No.: us.voxalot.com:80

Quote:

Originally Posted by docknden1 (Post 22742)
I was wondering as to how my telco or ISP can block me even when i am using the 80 or any other non standard port.

If the ISP is able to do deep packet inspection they can look at more than just port number.

If you want to see what's happening on the packet level try a packet monitoring program by the name of Wireshark. You will need an Ethernet hub (not a switch) and an additional Ethernet cable.

docknden1 04-14-2009 08:26 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply yes i am using ":" between server and the port no. I am wondering as to what could have gone wrong as things were working fine until the 11/4/2009.

boatman 04-14-2009 09:14 PM

Well, my guess is that during the outage your ATA attempted SIP registration every 30 seconds. When the ISP noticed the flurry of SIP packets (also on alternate ports as you tried different port numbers) they enabled more stringent SIP blocking methods, which may include targeting Voxalot's alternate ports, deep packet inspection, blocking all packets to/from the proxy, making changes to their DNS servers to prevent properly resolving domain names of Voxalot's proxies.

sleek 04-15-2009 05:30 AM

By the way in some countries/regions filtering or blocking ports is either illegal or in violation of the terms of agreement. I had once experienced port filtering from an ISP which generally allowed VoIP but were blocking the SIP signaling ports to one particular VSP, it seems they had beef and no registration could occur. I traced the problem and luckily the law was on my side. I prepared and filed a rigorous complaint and I told them they have 24 hours to rectify or I will slap them with a law suit. In less than two hours the CEO of the company called me personally to apologize and inform me that all filtering had been completely removed. :rolleyes: