Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums

Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums (https://forum.sipbroker.com/index.php)
-   Voxalot Support (https://forum.sipbroker.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Issues with mobile.voxalot.com (https://forum.sipbroker.com/showthread.php?t=2459)

244751 10-25-2007 01:57 AM

Issues with mobile.voxalot.com

For a week now I am having issues logginig into mobile.voxalot.com on my mobile phone and its worked fine in the past. I am able to access the website, I log in successfully but when I click on the mobil call-back link I get the error messages "error 413: unable to display this page". I have not changed anything on my end and this was working beautifully before. Has anything changed? Please help

tomblandford 10-25-2007 08:11 AM

New links have been added to the page recently (editting functions)

craig 10-25-2007 09:48 AM

HTTP return code 413 is because the request packet is too large (see HTTP/1.1: Status Code Definitions). If you do some searching around on google, you will see that this is a common problem with some phones and mobile browsers.

Are you sure that you are browsing mobile.voxalot.com with your phone (or are you somehow browsing www.voxalot.com)?

If I could ask you to possibly try again, keep track of the urls that you go to and the exact time you did the test, and post back here and I will check the logs on my side to see if I can see anything.

--
Craig

244751 10-27-2007 01:46 AM

Issues with mobile.voxalot.com

I just tried logging in again about 5 mins ago, its 7.42pm Friday Oct 26th, and I am still getting the error message 413: Page cannot be displayed.

Its quite frustrating since I was able to log in before with no problems I will try deleting some of my callback setup and see if will work. I'll post a message back here if it does.

244751 10-27-2007 02:08 AM

I deleted all my prestored webcallback numbers and now the page displays, I find this new changes very unfriendly and difficult to navigate on my phone. Would it be possible to have an alternate website for those who were happy with the old display.

craig 10-27-2007 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 244751 (Post 13674)
I just tried logging in again about 5 mins ago, its 7.42pm Friday Oct 26th, and I am still getting the error message 413: Page cannot be displayed.

Thanks for the updated info. It's really weird... in our server logs, all of your requests are returning with a status code of 200 (success).

Are you with Rogers, per chance? Doing some googling around, I see that there are many instances where Motorola users on the Rogers network are experiencing this problem. My best guess is that their proxy gets the successful response from our server and decides that it is too big and gives your phone a 413. Very weird! I wonder if there is anything in your provider's terms and conditions about it...

If this is the case, then even on the old layout, you would eventually get bitten (depending on how many entries you have stored). Just out of curiosity, what happens if you surf other non-mobile friendly sites? Do you get a 413 in those cases too?

Anyway, how to fix it? I guess I could revert to the original page. However, there are a lot of people that have asked for the number entry functionality. I think that I will probably leave the default mobile web callback page as it is, but create a separate page that just contains the pre-saved names (like we used to have). Would that help?

--
Craig

244751 11-01-2007 03:15 AM

Yes please, I use fido (which I believe is also owned by rogers). With the old display I had no issues.

The idea behind the new display is nice but the layout is so distorted on my mobile phone that it almost unuseable, the fact that I have a lot of providers doesn't help so I have to scroll down a very long list to enter my destination number. If the field for entering my number was designed or dispalying in the same way the destination number field, at least it wouldn't be too bad.

Also the edit and delete functions that have beeb added means i have to scroll through a lot more to reach the fields where I enter phone numbers.

I found the old screen a lot easier to use even though I have to preset the numbers I call on the website first and I have never had any difficulties loading the website before and believe me I had a lot of prestored numbers.

foneboxx 11-01-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig (Post 13678)
Thanks for the updated info. It's really weird... in our server logs, all of your requests are returning with a status code of 200 (success).

Are you with Rogers, per chance? Doing some googling around, I see that there are many instances where Motorola users on the Rogers network are experiencing this problem. My best guess is that their proxy gets the successful response from our server and decides that it is too big and gives your phone a 413. Very weird! I wonder if there is anything in your provider's terms and conditions about it...

If this is the case, then even on the old layout, you would eventually get bitten (depending on how many entries you have stored). Just out of curiosity, what happens if you surf other non-mobile friendly sites? Do you get a 413 in those cases too?

Anyway, how to fix it? I guess I could revert to the original page. However, there are a lot of people that have asked for the number entry functionality. I think that I will probably leave the default mobile web callback page as it is, but create a separate page that just contains the pre-saved names (like we used to have). Would that help?

--
Craig

Hi Craig, remember me?:D I'm one of those who are very happy with the new interface :D .
The only thing as stated in the other post is the entry field at the bottom instead of the top and as stated here, the edit and delete buttons make the scroll much longer.I really think that we could add or delete directly from the website and use the mobile callback just to direct-dial or enter the numbers in the fields and this way spend less time scrolling.
The old interface did not permit to enter a number directly and dial it when for example we are far from the computer.
So if it is possible, keep it like that (with the number entries on top of the page :D) but i can understand the demand of the previous poster.

chatalot 11-01-2007 07:48 PM

I am also getting a similar problem with my phone - I am getting an unknown repsonse error when I click on Mobile Call-Back and it returns to the same page. Nokia 3510i on Orange -UK

craig 11-01-2007 07:56 PM

I think, as a happy compromise, what I am going to do is have two pages: Basic and Advanced.

The Basic page will be the same as the original layout (ie. just the list of names).

The Advanced page will contain the new functionality where you can enter the numbers and edit/delete. Also, instead of the "[Edit]" and "[Delete]" text, I am going to try using two very small icons (about 300 bytes each).

That way, each user can choose whichever one they most prefer.

--
Craig

chatalot 11-01-2007 08:00 PM

Is this because the combined page is too big for my phone?

Will I be able to access the basic and advanced page when they are separate?

I really want to have the facility to initiate a call between two phones (not my mobile) and be able to type in the numbers for both phones.

Please can you let me know when I should try again - in the meantime I am off to to try another mobile phone

craig 11-01-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatalot (Post 13797)
Is this because the combined page is too big for my phone?

Will I be able to access the basic and advanced page when they are separate?

I really want to have the facility to initiate a call between two phones (not my mobile) and be able to type in the numbers for both phones.

Please can you let me know when I should try again - in the meantime I am off to to try another mobile phone

I believe that it is not too big for your phone but, rather, your provider is limiting it. It is a bit hard to diagnose for me as my phone works OK.

You will be able to access both pages... it is up to you which one is more convenient.

I am not sure about your particular error. The 413 error that 244751 is normally caused due to limited packet sizes (which I must admit I really don't understand - I just checked my page and it is only 2387 bytes in size!) All I can do is go from what I read on the web...

--
Craig

chatalot 11-02-2007 07:35 PM

Craig - if it is any help to you, I have done some playing with different phones and my provider is allowing access but it appears that mobile.voxalot.com is not compatible with any of my nokia phones - I tried a 3510i and a 7650. All is working ok with a Motorola RAZOR. Please let us know when you separate the pages so I can try again with my nokia

craig 11-06-2007 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I have made a few changes to have a page that has just the phone book entries (like it used to).

See the screenshots below for what it looks like now. The first one is the new mobile home page, and the second one is what you see if you click on the "Mobile Call-Back Book" link.

Any feedback would be appreciated... I hope to get it deployed in a couple of days.

--
Craig

chatalot 11-06-2007 09:30 PM

Have you considered making it possible to use a string to set up a call back- like sending messages on voipcheap.com as below

https: //myaccount.VoipCheap.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxxxxxxxx&password=xxxxxxxxx x&from=xxxxxxxxxx&to=xxxxxxxxxx&text=xxxxxxxxxx

Maybe a java client could be used to construct the string - I am thinking of keeping GPRS data to a minimum

http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-gen...-callback.html

craig 11-06-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatalot (Post 13921)
Have you considered making it possible to use a string to set up a call back- like sending messages on voipcheap.com as below

https: //myaccount.VoipCheap.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxxxxxxxx&password=xxxxxxxxx x&from=xxxxxxxxxx&to=xxxxxxxxxx&text=xxxxxxxxxx

Maybe a java client could be used to construct the string - I am thinking of keeping GPRS data to a minimum

I did see your other thread, and did a bit of checking.

Did you know that initiating it via the mechanism you outlined above (a HTTP GET) versus doing it in a form (a HTTP POST) only saves 119 bytes?

--
Craig

244751 11-08-2007 01:46 PM

Hi Craig, has the new interface been deployed yet? Am I missing something? Just a quick suggestion. Can one link just be for initiating call by specifying the phone number and provider or adding new callback numbers to your phone book while the other be for initiating via the phonebook like before?

Also you never really answered my question on the display for the voip provider when entering my callback number. Right now it displays all my providers and I have to scroll down the entire list to enter the nuber I want to call, however the provider list on the number to call side is better organized. I get a drop down list of provider and I pick the one I want. Which is really nice. Why can't the first provider list box be the same way?

chatalot 11-08-2007 05:42 PM

I also noticed that the top number entry had a numbered list of providers but the bottom number entry has a single drop down list of the same providers. On interent explorer however you get 2 drop down lists. I tried it on a motorola V3 as my nokias would not even load the page. I am going to get myself a V3 now I know they work.

craig 11-08-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 244751 (Post 13959)
Hi Craig, has the new interface been deployed yet? Am I missing something? Just a quick suggestion. Can one link just be for initiating call by specifying the phone number and provider or adding new callback numbers to your phone book while the other be for initiating via the phonebook like before?

No, you're not missing anything... we haven't deployed anything yet :) I talked to Mart yesterday, and we are hoping to do it within the next week. Your suggestion is exactly how it is implemented... so once it is deployed, it should hopefully be exactly what you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 244751 (Post 13959)
Also you never really answered my question on the display for the voip provider when entering my callback number. Right now it displays all my providers and I have to scroll down the entire list to enter the nuber I want to call, however the provider list on the number to call side is better organized. I get a drop down list of provider and I pick the one I want. Which is really nice. Why can't the first provider list box be the same way?

Oops... apologies. I must admit, though, I am not sure what you mean. When I look at the lists, they appear the same to me. Are you able to take a screen shot, or perhaps take a photo and upload it (via PM is OK too).

--
Craig

craig 11-08-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatalot (Post 13965)
I also noticed that the top number entry had a numbered list of providers but the bottom number entry has a single drop down list of the same providers. On interent explorer however you get 2 drop down lists. I tried it on a motorola V3 as my nokias would not even load the page. I am going to get myself a V3 now I know they work.

Hmmm... perhaps you are having same problem as 244751? Are able to get a screenshot or take a photo also?

--
Craig

chatalot 11-09-2007 07:54 AM

If you need a screen shot I can take one but this post will probably do the trick. From memory it looks something like this

Callbook (edit)

Your number* Box for number

1. Smartcall
2. Voxalot
3. other providers, etc

Destination number* Box for number smartcall (this is a drop down box to selct provider)

You need to scroll up and down the numbered list for the first provider (no drop down box) and choose from a drop down box for the second. The exact text of the page may not be accurate here but the difference in selecting the providers for the two legs is. There must be a very slight difference in the webpage code, If you can't find it I will take a pic of my phone screen.

I agree that from the description given by 244751, we may be having the same problem, it doesn't stop it working but it looks messy on the phone and you need to scroll down a fair way if you have a lot of providers

craig 11-09-2007 08:49 PM

Really? That is the weirdest thing ever! The code that we use to generate the two lists is identical other than the variable names. If you could somehow get a screenshot (and perhaps even the source for the page) it would be useful for me to try and debug. Thanks a lot.

--
Craig

chatalot 11-09-2007 09:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps you to sort it out

I can confirm that the same problem is present on the Motorola Application Developer Kit

I saved the html from the callback page and replaced both select tags with optgroups ones like the example below and it now works as it should

<select>
<optgroup label="fromPeerOID">
<option value="XXX">SIP Broker</option>
<option value="XXX">Voxalot</option>
<option value="XXXXX">Provider1</option>
<option value="XXXXX">Provider2</option>
<option value="XXXXX">Provider3</option>
<option value="XXXXX">Provider4</option>
<option value="XXXXX">Provider5</option>
</optgroup>
</select>

As you say the code is the same for both boxes so I can't understand why it only does it on the first box - I suspect that the focus script is doing something to it.

I have included some screen grabs from the developer kit to show what it looks like now on the left and the optgroup working version on the right

I am not sure if this would work for all mobiles but if it doesn't and you are using a script to generate the html then you can detect a motorola by looking for "MOT-" at the start of the user agent

craig 11-12-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatalot (Post 14009)
I can confirm that the same problem is present on the Motorola Application Developer Kit

I saved the html from the callback page and replaced both select tags with optgroups ones like the example below and it now works as it should

I have included some screen grabs from the developer kit to show what it looks like now on the left and the optgroup working version on the right

Thanks very much. I really appreciate your assistance. We have just deployed the latest code that contains a) your fix, and b) a page that just displays the address book (like it used to).

If you point your browsers at Voxalot, you will now see two links:

Mobile Call-Back
Mobile Call-Back Book

The first is the new page where you can enter numbers directly, and the second is the old page that just has the phone book entries. Please give it a thrash and let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks again Chatalot for your help. I doubt I would have found it without your help.

--
Craig

andy 11-12-2007 01:39 AM

Is there any chance you'd consider having these spread over 3 pages?

phonebook
number entry boxes
edit phonebook

At the moment, I have about a 9k page for the entry boxes and edit functions. I just logged in and by the time I'd switched pages by mistake once I'd used about 28k. If I cut a few providers, a number entry box page on its own would be about 2k.

I know it doesn't seem that big, but roaming data tariffs tend to be not included on contracts and higher rates, and it would be nice to connect a call for 3 cents rather than 15

chatalot 11-12-2007 07:36 AM

I just tried it in IE and the source looks the same, I tried it on my V3 and it is still doing the same thing, I did use the exact links you gave above.

I think the best way to cut traffic is to just make it work with a single http request string that can be edited as an internet shortcut before it is sent. I send text messages from my voipcheap.com account over GPRS that way and it only used about 0.5kb per text. I use gotext.org but it just submits the string on my behalf. Maybe voxalot could look into developing a script to make voxalot work with gotext.org or a complete java client of their own would be even better.

craig 11-12-2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatalot (Post 14050)
I just tried it in IE and the source looks the same, I tried it on my V3 and it is still doing the same thing, I did use the exact links you gave above.

Argh! My apologies... we had a couple of problems with our deployment this afternoon and the correct code was deployed, then backed out. We then re-deployed but without the fix you require.

Anyway, I have now patched the production system and you should be right to go. Apologies for the confusion.

--
Craig

andy 11-12-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatalot (Post 14050)
I just tried it in IE and the source looks the same, I I think the best way to cut traffic is to just make it work with a single http request string that can be edited as an internet shortcut before it is sent. I send text messages from my voipcheap.com account [...]

... or a complete java client of their own would be even better.

I think Craig mentioned that a Java client doesn't use much less data. If you try the Voipbuster or Vyke programs, you'll find sending an sms seems to use about 1800 bytes. I can't remember the amount for call set-up, but I think it's similar.

I don't know enough about this, but sending just a URL yourself, it seems not all phones support secure links, while others use up extra data on the security certificate.

About gotext: do you mean it can be used in conjunction with other services, are is this discussion just for a comparison with the way it works?

tomblandford 11-12-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 14055)
I think Craig mentioned that a Java client doesn't use much less data. If you try the Voipbuster or Vyke programs, you'll find sending an sms seems to use about 1800 bytes.

VoipBuster have a URL text message service that uses almost no kB.
Try this: https://myaccount.justvoip.com/clx/s...0XXX&text=YYYY

xhttps://myaccount.justvoip.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=USER&password=PASS&from=00XXX &to=00XXX&text=YYYY
change the capital letter bits.

Tom

andy 11-12-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomblandford (Post 14056)
VoipBuster have a URL text message service that uses almost no kB.

As I already suggested, not all phones can support this:

Quote:

Sorry
Server Certificate could not be verified
and even that used 1032 + 796 bytes

And sometimes there is a different charge for these; excepted from free offers, for example

chatalot 11-12-2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 14055)
About gotext: do you mean it can be used in conjunction with other services, are is this discussion just for a comparison with the way it works?

Gotext is a java appllication that you can use to send text mesages using different SMS services, I use it successfully with voipcheap.com using the installation procedure and settings at this page.

goText]goText]goText - text messaging over GPRS - News - text messaging over GPRS - News

As part of the installation procedure you install a betamax script. I was wondering if a voxalot script could be made for callback.

when you send the message using it, it shows on your betamax/voipcheap account as a urlSMS. voipcheap.com charge 0.02 euro cents to the UK - voipcheap.co.uk are free. I assume the gotext java client just puts the info you enter into a http string and fetches it (post/get) from the web. The whole process uses very little data - I think about 208 bytes outgoing and 180 in although when my GPRS disconnects at the end it shows around 1500 bytes total.

I suppose I was thinking if you could make a call by sending a http string then maybe gotext could send the string for us

something like

http ://mobile.voxalot.com/action/webCall?task=call&fromNumber=XXXXXXXXXXX&toNumber= XXXXXXXXXXX&delay=60&User=username&password=passwo rd

I must admit I don't like how the password is submitted to the betamax SMS services, but they do use https:// so I suppose a secure connection is set up before the srting is sent - perhaps that is where the extra 1k data comes from?

Anyway for the password, it may not be necessary if the phone is already set to remember login and the login has already been carried out.

Has it was pointed out in an earlier post, reducing the number of providers reduced bandwidth. Perhaps there needs to be an option under each provider to determine if it is visible in mobile callback. In fact, I personally think I could get away with just using smart call and have no real use for the others. maybe we need a third page with the two number boxes but no drop down lists - it could be called Smart Call-Back or something.

Andy - the error you gave (certificate error) may mean that some phones can't fetch the secure page. If it used a cookie on the phones browser then it would not need to be secure as the string would not need a login, at least I dont think so.

chatalot 11-12-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig (Post 14053)
Argh! My apologies... we had a couple of problems with our deployment this afternoon and the correct code was deployed, then backed out. We then re-deployed but without the fix you require.

Anyway, I have now patched the production system and you should be right to go. Apologies for the confusion.

--
Craig

I can confirm that it is working now for me

hust 11-13-2007 01:21 PM

Java client and callback triggered by Html

It is worth for Voxalot to develop a mobile Java client & callback triggered by Html solution to cut mobile data traffic, and it will be an innovation in the world.

It will be more important than VoxalotRoam for us.

It seems that Voipbuster is working on this, visit here:https://forum.voipbuster.com/viewtopic.php?t=11899(Above link needs a Voipbuster account).

We only need a simple triggered way!:)

Even, we can consider to trigger callback by SIP call(e.g. SPA3102(fxo port)&SIP call to Voxalot server), this method will be free for us.

chatalot 11-13-2007 05:00 PM

I would love to see a Java client but a quick way to reduce traffic would be to get rid of the selection boxes on the current mobile site and just have it use smart dial plans. I dont see why we need to be able to choose all the providers from our accounts when we could configure dialplans to route different calls to different VSP's.

If there is a reason, then can we please have an extra page with just the 2 number boxes and a delay box and no selction boxes for the providers as it can default to smart dial plan?

andy 11-14-2007 03:07 PM

There is a simple triggered way, the links in the Voxalot mobile phonebook. If cookies work, this page can be loaded directly as a bookmark.

As I said before, I don't see Java clients getting data use much below 2k, or URL methods either if it's a secure link. And another method of using Betamax clones uses about 28k per call trigger, when you'd expect only about 4 to 6k from looking at it.

hust 11-14-2007 04:15 PM

Hi

How about this wap callback site? WAP callback

chatalot 11-14-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hust (Post 14103)
Hi

How about this wap callback site? WAP callback

As some of us have a lot of VSP's configured, I still think there is a good case to not have the VSP select boxes and have something like this site with all calls routed via our smart dial plan.

Edit: Just a quick update for those who are eager to save traffic - if your phone has the ability to store webpages then you can store the call initiation page and then load the stored page instead of reloading it everytime over GPRS- I can initiate a call now with just 3.5Kbytes using this method. The phone only connects to GPRS when the call button is pressed. I still think it could be even lower but for now I am happy with this.

hust 12-02-2007 02:32 PM

A mobile callback call only uses 1K Bytes traffic

Hi,all

Minowireless.com claims that their mobile software client only use about 1K bytes to trigger a mobile callback call . Of course,their callback rate is too expensive for me.

Detail see here:MINO: Mobile International Network Operator