Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
earleyscripts

earleyscripts is on a distinguished road
Question Proxy Location Problems

I have an issue that with the Proxy Server being located in Holland all Voice traffic goes via this proxy server. I have a situation that I have two locations located within 20 Miles of each other but using the same ISP. In the afternoon more so but can be at other times in the day the Voice quality deteriorates to an unacceptable level even using G711 u-Law. It would be nice to keep the Voice traffic at least within the UK but more preferable that the Voice traffic just transverses between the two End points whilst leaving the SIP traffic to still be handled by Voxalot as "administrator" of the call.

Any suggestions how this could be achieved if possible whilst still using Voxalot would be appreciated.
earleyscripts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by earleyscripts View Post
I have an issue that with the Proxy Server being located in Holland all Voice traffic goes via this proxy server. I have a situation that I have two locations located within 20 Miles of each other but using the same ISP. In the afternoon more so but can be at other times in the day the Voice quality deteriorates to an unacceptable level even using G711 u-Law. It would be nice to keep the Voice traffic at least within the UK but more preferable that the Voice traffic just transverses between the two End points whilst leaving the SIP traffic to still be handled by Voxalot as "administrator" of the call.

Any suggestions how this could be achieved if possible whilst still using Voxalot would be appreciated.
Are we talking about VoXalot to VoXalot calls, or calls via a provider set up in VoXalot?

If the latter, enable Optimize Audio under provider settings.

The fact that quality deteriorates during the day concerns me though...who's your ISP, any word or concerns lately about traffic shaping on your end?
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
earleyscripts

Thumbs up

The calls are all Voxalot to Voxalot only.

What does Optimise Audio actually do, does it change the route the Voice Traffic goes i.e. direct point to point rather than via the Proxy or is it more based on Codec use. My user will only really accept G711 as the Compression of anything less does affect when calls have originated from a ISDN2 Line via his PBX and then on as an extended extension.

I am not aware of any traffic shaping but I will ask to see if he is aware of any situation.

I fear that we may have to remove the Voxalot service and consider the option of Point to Point unregistered communication (still using SIP) that will keep all the traffic within the ISP, who are called OPAL ( Voice, data and network solutions for UK organisations )

Thanks for your help so far ..............
Unread 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
earleyscripts

Question

I have had a look through other "discussions" on the Forum and found a further reference to this in that the discussion was about " Can't get voice packets to bypass Voxalot" and I see that the reference is made to the fact that the option "Optomise Voice" is related to this function but with the basic Account the option is not seemingly available.
Should I therefore assume that by upgarding the account this and other additional features.
To what level of account should I upgrade to at least get the feature I am after i.e. Voice packets direct assuming that "optomise voice" is the one I need.
In anticipation ................please
Unread 03-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
green

green will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I see that the reference is made to the fact that the option "Optomise Voice" is related to this function but with the basic Account the option is not seemingly available.
It's available with basic account.
Click on Voice Service Providers then add/edit your provider.
You will see Optimize Audio Path at the bottom.
green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
earleyscripts

I have followed the suggestion by "Green" and attempted to turn on Voice Optimisation. However I have tried adding Voxalot as the provider and submitted it but I get an error message saying the Provider already exists.
The whole point of this excercise to to achieve calls from a Voxalot to Voxalot extension where the Voice packets after call set up go direct from caller to called extension and not via the "eu" proxy. As this causes voice traffic to go via Holland rather than the "relatively short distance" between the two user I have, who are on the same ISP and the calls are not then subjected to the general Internet delays.
I am lead to believe this is what is meant/inferred by the Voice Optimisation feature.
Can some one specifically confirm that this what the option is for, and that it can also apply/work between Voxalot Extensions.
In anticipation ..............thanks
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Can some one specifically confirm that this what the option is for, and that it can also apply/work between Voxalot Extensions.
In anticipation ..............thanks
Voice Optimisation within the provider details page enables voice packets using that provider to bypass Voxalot proxies.

If you want to bypass Voxalot proxies when calling another Voxalot number, the option you are looking for is the "Symmetric NAT Handling" option on the member details page.

If you set this to "No" you will disable the Voxalot RTPProxy and your voice packets will bypass our proxies.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
earleyscripts

Not that I would not believe MARTIN's advice but I have tested and it does work.
However one interesting point is that if the calls are only between two VOXALOT extensions it apparently only requires one of the extensions to be set to Symetrical NAT = NO for the Voice traffic to go direct between the extensions.
Been a useful excercise ........thanks for all who have offered help.

Thread closed as far as I am concerned.