Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot General

Voxalot General Voxalot discussion, tips, tricks and suggestions. Talk about them here.

Unread 11-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
chatalot

chatalot is on a distinguished road
Default Gtalk2voip.com

I have been playing with the above service this week using MSN messenger. For those who don't know what it is, it allows people to call you using microphone and headphones and MSN messenger, Google Talk, and other compatible instant messenger services. It turns MSN messenger into a basic SIP phone. You can call PSTN and receive incoming calls via sipbroker ID and divert incoming calls to voxalot/elsewhere.

It is great but I have one problem with it, no caller ID when you divert calls to voxalot - the calls just say NOT AVAILABLE on the display of my phone. I think that it is probably gtalk2voip that are not providing this but I was wondering if it is possible to at least know that it is someone calling via this method even if you don't see their MSN username.

I thought maybe they could be detected with call forwarding and routed to a different Voxalot account. But that required 2 phones too.

I was wondering if Voxalot could look at the logs to see if a caller ID is possible for these calls or if anyone has any ideas or comments?
chatalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatalot View Post
I have been playing with the above service this week using MSN messenger. For those who don't know what it is, it allows people to call you using microphone and headphones and MSN messenger, Google Talk, and other compatible instant messenger services. It turns MSN messenger into a basic SIP phone. You can call PSTN and receive incoming calls via sipbroker ID and divert incoming calls to voxalot/elsewhere.

It is great but I have one problem with it, no caller ID when you divert calls to voxalot - the calls just say NOT AVAILABLE on the display of my phone. I think that it is probably gtalk2voip that are not providing this but I was wondering if it is possible to at least know that it is someone calling via this method even if you don't see their MSN username.

I thought maybe they could be detected with call forwarding and routed to a different Voxalot account. But that required 2 phones too.

I was wondering if Voxalot could look at the logs to see if a caller ID is possible for these calls or if anyone has any ideas or comments?
As you may have realized by know, in order for someone to call you this way, they must also have added service@gtalk2voip.com as a contact.

If they have that added, they might as well type CALL 123456@voxalot.com and call you at VoXalot directly, in this case your CID should show their username (if their email is user@hotmail.com, your CID should show 'user')

Now I have my forwarding number in GTalk2Voip set as 123456@voxalot.com, and although I can't seem to get it to work properly right now, it usually at least sends GTalk2Voip as CID.

However if instead I'm picking my VoXalot calls via FW to a cellphone that's when the unkwown CID happens....

One solution, although I am not happy with their forwarding, it's a bit hit and miss, is to sign up your number for PhoneGnome, set PhoneGnome up as a provider in GTalk2Voip, set up a Dial Plan in GTalk2Voip, and forward (follow me number) the call directly to a phone number, handled by PhoneGnome. As a result whenever someone calls this way, the CID you get is your own number that you registered for PhoneGnome, so you'll know it's one of these calls....

I don't know how much that helps.....

Their service is promising (especially being able to set up your email as a VoIP address eg. sip: me@mydomain.com if you use Google Apps to host your email), but it's a bit raw and buggy, and Ruslan hasn't been around much lately either....

Last edited by emoci; 11-23-2007 at 07:32 PM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
chatalot

I am doing as you say and typing in the 123456@voxalot.com but I am not getting callerID when on my phone, I think my phone can display alphanumeric callerID as I get "Voxalot" when they call me. Can't think what else to try.

I have another use for phonegnome, but do youknow if it is possible to set up multiple accounts with them, I assume you need different phones to register if you can?

I would really like to get caller ID working with this as I want to offer it as a free way for people to call me and must really have a way to differentiate between them. At the moment I am not even getting gtalk2voip as caller ID. Can you give me more info about your settings. I am using MSN to make the call with a hotmail address signed in. I have tried calling my phone as a voxalot address as you desribed and also direct ip dialing to my PAP2. Still no callerID.

Last edited by chatalot; 11-23-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
I am doing as you say and not getting caller ID, I think my phone can display alphanumeric callerID as I get "Voxalot" when they call me. Can't think what else to try.

I am thinking of joining Phonegnome anyway so I may give that a try although I was saving Phonegnome as my DID provider offers hunt groups so I was thinking of setting up a Phonegnome for that.

I would really like to get it working, I wonder if it is because I am using MSN, what are you using?
Well to be fair, since you posted, I can't seem to get it to forward to another SIP URI at all if I am logged off.....so

So what are you doing right now, forwarding to 123456@voxalot.com?

In terms of PhoneGnome, there is nothing stopping you from using at GTalk2Voip and for Hunt Groups (worst case scenario, if the CID you receive matters to you, sign up both your home number and cell, that gives you 2 different PhoneGnome accounts you can use)

You won't get things to work to your satisfaction completely.

Even if everything was working, you'll notice that if someone calls you and you're offline, they'll hear ringing for 20 sec, before your phone even starts ringing....

Last edited by emoci; 11-23-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #5
chatalot

I am just calling 123456@voxalot.com at the moment from my MSN messenger (using the service bot I added).

I have also tried using MSN on another computer and typed call myusername@hotmail.com

My msn shows an incoming call but if I don't answer it does not get forwarded to my follow me sip phone (123456@voxalot.com), it just says I missed a call in the call window.

If I call the sipbroker number for my gtalk2voip account from my voxalot phone, my MSN rings, I ignore it and I get the call waiting tone so it is diverting it back to me this way.

Last edited by chatalot; 11-23-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
emoci

Quote:
I am just calling 123456@voxalot.com at the moment from my MSN messenger (using the service bot I added).

I have also tried using MSN on another computer and typed call myusername@hotmail.com

My msn shows an incoming call but if I don't answer it does not get forwarded to my follow me sip phone (123456@voxalot.com), it just says I missed a call in the call window.

If I call the sipbroker number for my gtalk2voip account from my voxalot phone, my MSN rings, I ignore it and I get the call waiting tone so it is diverting it back to me this way.
Sounds like you are experiencing the same thing as me, so there is a good chance there is a problem with their forwarding right now when calling from the bot.
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
chatalot

Thanks for that, I will keep trying to see if they fix it. I just tried signing up for phonegnome, I got the email and managed to get to the verification call but it won;t take my PIN. I here the message but then it goes quiet. I put the pin in and it stays quiet. I tried using # after the pin but still no good. I suspect it is not hearing the UK DTMF tones. Anyone managed to get the verification call to work with a UK line? I supose I could try a DTMF tone generator?
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
emoci

Quote:
Thanks for that, I will keep trying to see if they fix it. I just tried signing up for phonegnome, I got the email and managed to get to the verification call but it won;t take my PIN. I here the message but then it goes quiet. I put the pin in and it stays quiet. I tried using # after the pin but still no good. I suspect it is not hearing the UK DTMF tones. Anyone managed to get the verification call to work with a UK line? I supose I could try a DTMF tone generator?
Don't repeat too many times...once you enter the pin wait, it can take up to 60 sec for recognition

No # required

Last edited by emoci; 11-23-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 11-23-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
chatalot

I tried from my number too many times so thats it for me. Does it let you try again if you leave it a while?
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #10
emoci

Quote:
I tried from my number too many times so thats it for me. Does it let you try again if you leave it a while?
Not usually.....you tried waiting for it and it still didn't work?