Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 09-19-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
artisticcheese

artisticcheese is on a distinguished road
Default Can I use Voxalot to call my ATA directly?

Hi,

I have handytone 286 and SPA 2002. SPA2002 is configured with Voicestick and stays in my home in TX.
I want to send 286 to Russia to my mother.
I want to be able to call her and she call me without signing up for any paid services and want it to make it as easy as possible for her to call me. What is the best way to accomplish that? Can Voxalot help with tht?
artisticcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Well yeah,

Voxalot assigns a 6 digit number to each user....
Any User, can call any other user, so set up two free VoXalot accounts to start

Now, how many ports on SPA 2002 and/or how attached are you to VoiceStick?
See, in order for this to work you'd have to register your ata with VoXalot rather than VoiceStick (unless you have two lines on the SPA).... You can continue using VoiceStick for outgoing calls from VoXalot, but in terms of incoming, it's known to have trouble registering directly to VoXalot.

Last edited by emoci; 09-19-2007 at 06:21 PM.
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #3
artisticcheese

I don't want to register SPA2002 with Voxalot. I thought it would be possible to do directly call my SPA2002 via URI sip:2313@myip.dyndns.org and I can call my mom by her registering with IPKall.com or something so she gets a real US number I can call from any phone line.
I'm pretty sure what I'm asking shall be straightforward to setup but there are so many different providers and brokers etc I'm trying to figure out which is the easiest way to do this.
Will following work?
1. Get Voxalot number.
2. Get Free DID from IPKall and put your Voxalot number as username and us.voxalot.com as SIP proxy
3. Register HandyTone 286 with Voxalot. Will this allow me to call my IPKall number and 286 will ring?
4. Create SpeedDial in Voxalot and assign it to sip:12321@myip.dyndns.org (my home IP adater URL). This shall enable to call me directly.

Last edited by artisticcheese; 09-19-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
gambrinus

gambrinus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to gambrinus Send a message via MSN to gambrinus Send a message via Skype™ to gambrinus

Yes that should work and it seems you have answered your question yourself.

To make it more sophisticated you could register the IPKall DID with e164.org and call her for free from almost everywhere using SIPBroker.com or from any ENUM-enabled ATA worldwide...

Vice versa: Register your US Phone number with e164.org, your mother will dial the number she is used to and the dial plan you created in her Voxalot account will perform the ENUM lookup... The side effect will be that you can be reached for free by many others as welll!

Got it?

Last edited by gambrinus; 09-19-2007 at 09:46 PM.
gambrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

In your moms end, things are all well and good. You register her end with VoXalot, she plugs it in with an internet connection, her URI is xxxxxx@voxalot.com (from there how you call her is up to you)....

I would suggest rather than going the IPKall way, you could just use the SipBorker PSTN numbers, that way you can probably use a local number, rather than an IOWA number (but whatever you decide the possibilities are endless)

What you should worry about is how she calls you....

1. You are right the most convenient way would be to go the dyndns way (but from testing it doesn't work 100% of the time, and it depends in a combo of ATA/VoiceStick allowing and icoming call directly to your IP, not to discourage you from it, but run some thorough tests)

2. You could register your VoiceStick Number for PhoneGnome and then use PhoneGnome to forward calls to your actual VoiceStick number (but remember VoiceStick is now charging for incoming calls)
If you do decide to go down this road, there are some guides here Free DID Numbers, Free Voip Calls, & more Voip Info - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

This would be perfect too, but you'll still need to figure out how to get calls in, since VoiceStick does not accept incoming URI calls:

Quote:
Vice versa: Register your US Phone number with e164.org, your mother will dial the number she is used to and the dial plan you created in her Voxalot account will perform the ENUM lookup... The side effect will be that you can be reached for free by many others as welll!
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticcheese View Post
I don't want to register SPA2002 with Voxalot. I thought it would be possible to do directly call my SPA2002 via URI sip:2313@myip.dyndns.org and I can call my mom by her registering with IPKall.com or something so she gets a real US number I can call from any phone line.
I'm pretty sure what I'm asking shall be straightforward to setup but there are so many different providers and brokers etc I'm trying to figure out which is the easiest way to do this.
Will following work?
1. Get Voxalot number.
2. Get Free DID from IPKall and put your Voxalot number as username and us.voxalot.com as SIP proxy
3. Register HandyTone 286 with Voxalot. Will this allow me to call my IPKall number and 286 will ring?
4. Create SpeedDial in Voxalot and assign it to sip:12321@myip.dyndns.org (my home IP adater URL). This shall enable to call me directly.

Last edited by emoci; 09-20-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
artisticcheese

Thanks,

Yes, VoiceStick is using proxy server and hence I can not use IP calling to call my home directly.
I just registered with PhoneGnome and when I enter sip:my-10digit-number@sip.phonegnome.com in speed dial, it ends up in "This is not a recognized phone number).

Last edited by artisticcheese; 09-20-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:15 AM   #7
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
To make it more sophisticated you could register the IPKall DID with e164.org and call her for free from almost everywhere using SIPBroker.com or from any ENUM-enabled ATA worldwide...
The only problem with that is that the DID might need to be called directly from time to time to ensure it isn't lost. If the number isn't used, then IPKall may take it away.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
artisticcheese

Cmon guys, please help me to solve this problem. It shall not be that hard. First part is done (calling my mom from Us by dialing IPkall number).
How do I make the other part work (her dialing me)?

Greg
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
emoci

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticcheese View Post
Thanks,

Yes, VoiceStick is using proxy server and hence I can not use IP calling to call my home directly.
I just registered with PhoneGnome and when I enter sip:my-10digit-number@sip.phonegnome.com in speed dial, it ends up in "This is not a recognized phone number).

Oh no no no.... it doesn't work that way....

The registration with PhoneGnome went fine right, you completed verification call, correct?

Now to set up forwarding, either get yourself set up with a premium VoXalot account (this is the easiest, but costs $15/year)....or follow this Receiving Calls on your Landline
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
artisticcheese

This guide is so ridicilously painfull for noob like me. The biggest thing which is missing is explaining what Voxalot-1 and Voxalot-2 accounts will be used to. Guide just tells create both but does not say which one will be used for what and hence the rest of the guide is total confusion.
Will below work?
2 Voxalot accounts.
1 for mom and 1 for me.
Mom's one is registered on ATA and in IPKall so I can call her.
Mine is having PhoneGnome set up as service provider. Mom's Voxalot account is having SpeedDial set to SIP URI of PhoneGnome or SpeedDial set to mine Voxalot number.
Will this work? Biggest puzzle for me is how exactly PhoneGnome is going to ring my home phone, I did activate it but don't understand technology behind since I did not provide any of my VoiceStick credentials there.

Last edited by artisticcheese; 09-20-2007 at 06:28 PM.