Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's

Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's Tips and Tricks for Voxalot

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #21
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Make sure you are using *010 and *031 (both will do the same thing) and *not* *10 or *31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroontjesPen View Post
There is a difference in using *10 or *31 when dialing the Netherlands SIP Broker PSTN access number in Utrecht +31-30-711-0327, sponsor iXcall.

*10 gives a voice message, off very poor quality, telling that there is something wrong with the number (?).
*31 gives the tone to wait for the connection (call tone ?), however I received no ring tone on my ATA or X-Lite softphone with VoxBasic.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 08:59 AM   #22
KroontjesPen

KroontjesPen is on a distinguished road

Mea culpa.
I am so sorry that I make that mistake.
Every thing works fine now.
KroontjesPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #23
KroontjesPen

Default ATA rings phone only when X-Lite is active.

Is it needed that you have X-Lite active to let your ATA ring the phone.
When I exit that program I received a message that the number is not available when I call it.
If you can received a call with out that program I have to look further.

Last edited by KroontjesPen; 08-19-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Language
Unread 08-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #24
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroontjesPen View Post
Is it needed that you have X-Lite active to let your ATA ring the phone.
When I exit that program I received a massage that the number is not available when I call it.
If you can received a call with out that program I have to look further.
No. It sounds like you ATA is not properly configured. Voxalot allows multple devices / softphones to register against the one account.

You might need to look into STUN or do some searching on NAT setup for your ATA.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #25
KroontjesPen

Thumbs up Solved, but I don't no how. Sorry.

This problem is also solved only this time I have no clue what did the trick.
What it was not, that was the firewall.
For that purpose I had ticked every checkbox on to log every error or blocking.

After trying a lot off things I cleared the log file for the x-st time and after some refreshes there was suddenly the notice that SIP1, yes voxalot account, was trying to connect.
First there was a 401 error but the second attempt was good.
From that moment I can call true the Netherlands SIP Broker PSTN access number my ATA.

It is not must to help others but I am very pleased.

Unread 11-04-2007, 04:28 AM   #26
madako

madako is on a distinguished road
Default How can i dial my beither's PSTN phone using ENUM

My brother's PSTN phone is registered with ENUM database e.164.org
Now how can i call the number for free.
here is what i have- my ENUM registered regular PSTN phone
-ATA box registered with my voxalot id and password.
I have configured the box and got a dial tone perfectly.
The main question is this, what device or phone i need to use to call the PSTN phone, and why do i have to gt another VSP, so voxalot is not a VSP?
If i ned to have a VSP then how can i set it up because i already added voxalot to the box and have a dial tone.
Please advise me on how to proceed.
madako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #27
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

You need VoIP equipment at both ends, each needs to be registered to a SIP service [excepting pure IP to IP setups]. The SIP service could be Voxalot at both ends with different accounts. Each end will be the termination point for it's Voxalot account. You set up ENUM to point to the appropriate termination point. Then with the correct dial plans that use ENUM lookups, you will use ENUM to route the call to the other end.

Without ENUM, you can call directly between the Voxalot accounts using *010{voxalotid}. ENUM adds ability to bypass the PSTN when VoIP can be used at both end points.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:08 AM   #28
madako

madako is on a distinguished road
Default How can i dial my brother's PSTN phone using ENUM

Well thanks for your information, but my understanding from the way i read about ENUM is that,
A- You can call a PSTN line even if the callee is not on the internet as long as the line is registered with enum e.164.org database and active
B- To do so you or me the caller must have an active enum acount number.
Once registered, any call from voxalot My questions are:

1. How can I link my PSTN number to my voxalot account so that anyone using ENUM can call me for free? and vice versa.
madako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #29
chatalot

chatalot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madako View Post
1. How can I link my PSTN number to my voxalot account so that anyone using ENUM can call me for free? and vice versa.
Go to e164.org and sign up for an account and then add the number with your voxalot sip uri as the alternative number. It may take a few days to a week to be verified and become active in the ENUM database. You will be able to test it by using the test dial box in your voxalot account under smartcalls.
chatalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #30
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by madako View Post
Well thanks for your information, but my understanding from the way i read about ENUM is that,
A- You can call a PSTN line even if the callee is not on the internet as long as the line is registered with enum e.164.org database and active
B- To do so you or me the caller must have an active enum acount number.
Once registered, any call from voxalot My questions are:

All ENum does is link your regular PSTN number to a SIP URI like 123456@voxalot.com

So if you add your number to the e164.org registry and link it to SIP URI, that's all you do.

Now when someone calls your PSTN number, if they are using a VSP that supports ENum lookups (these VSPs will check the ENum lists for any number you dial, if they find a listing, instead of calling the number they'll call 123456@voxalot.com from the example above). Now the call is completely routed over the internet so there is no cost. One downside is that anyone that uses ENum lookups will now only ring you on the VoIP line, the actual PSTN line will no longer ring when an ENum call comes in (there is ways to address this issue if your VSP provider supports it, eg. setting your VoIP line as DND will cause ENum to tell your VSP that although there is an ENum listing, the line is not available, so it should try the regular PSTN line)

Now for you to call ENum numbers for free, all you need is VoXalot account and a dial plan within that account that has ENum lookup set to Yes. To call ENum numbers from your regular PSTN number, call one of the SipBroker Access Numbers (assuming there is a SipBroker Access Number local to you, and you are not charged for local calls), then enter the number you want to call if full International format CountryCode-Number, or *013-Country Code-Number

In summary: ENum can provide free calls between VoIP users. Where PSTN comes into play is that instead of giving out 123456@voxalot.com or 12345@fwd.pulver.com, you give out your regular telephone number which people are more familiar with. If these VoIP users call the number (and their provider is doing ENum lookups) they'll reach you on your VoIP line. Since the call remains completely within the internet it is free.

Hope that clarifies ENum a little bit. So ENum's usefulness is dependent on people registering their numbers and having a VoIP presence online to which to receive ENum calls.

Hope that clarifies things a bit....
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote