Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot General

Voxalot General Voxalot discussion, tips, tricks and suggestions. Talk about them here.

Unread 07-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
xvaiox

xvaiox is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xvaiox Send a message via Skype™ to xvaiox
Arrow Suggestions for New ATA

I want to purchase new ATA and would like one that you can configure with a few different VSP's, not just one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I can spend up to $200.00. or maybe $250.00

I don't like this Sunrocket Gizmo that I have I want to "Move on UP". This Gizmo is touchy and seems out of date!

I'd like one that also has two VOIP lines and lots of Bells and whistles, but is still easy to configure.

Some Advice would be Nice"

Devin
xvaiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
xvaiox

I was looking at the Linksys Sipura SPA-3000 whats the take on this? I have never been that happy with Linksys products. Does anyone have this or suggest this?

Unread 07-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Loads of these units have been sold worldwide, but most people are now going for the replacement unit which is the 3102.

I am not sure the differences b/w the two, but both would be good products to consider.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity View Post
Loads of these units have been sold worldwide, but most people are now going for the replacement unit which is the 3102.

I am not sure the differences b/w the two, but both would be good products to consider.
I'm not sure if you can even get a new 3000 anymore, as they appear to have been phased out in favor of the 3102 (which can be purchased for under $100 US from http://store.voxilla.com/voip-produc...s-spa3102.html ).

As to the differences, my understanding is that the main difference is that the 3102 has a built in router (which apparently can be disabled, if you don't want to use it), whereas the 3000 is "just" a VoIP adapter + PSTN "gateway" device. But other than the router, and a few minor differences (different logos on the packaging, slightly different firmware, etc), the two adapters (the 3000 and the 3102) are supposed to be pretty much the same functionally (I have the older 3000, so my knowledge of the newer 3102 come mostly from posts I've read about it).

Back to the OP's question, the 3000 (and presumably also the 3102, as it's functionally very similar) is a very powerful (and reasonably cheap) adapter, but a PITA to configure correctly initially (it was designed more for "telco people" than "end users"). Furthermore, while it will handle multiple VoIP accounts (from the same attached "phone"), it clearly has it's limits. In my experience with my 3000 (and I expect the same limits on the 3102) I can cram the following into my adapter if/when I try hard enough:

1) One main VoIP provider, that allows full "registration" and supports both inbound and outbound. This is the only totally "easy" one to do on the adapter, so choose carefully which VoIP you put here (VoXaLot, perhaps?).

2) The adapter supports four "gateway" VoIP providers, for additional OUTBOUND (you make the call, but they don't call you) VoIP providers. To use them you have to setup your VoIP accounts on the "gateway" slots, and then modify your dial plan properly. Furthermore, while most VoIP providers will work (for outbound calling) on a properly setup "gateway" slot, some (that require "registration" just to call out) will not.

NOTE: In order to effectively use the "Gateway" slots, you need to be using STUN (instead of the "Outbound proxy") as your NAT traversal method (on the "Line 1" provider, above). Not a problem for most people, but a gotcha to watch out for none-the-less.

3) Any number of "open SIP gateways" (providers that don't require a username and password), can be made via modifying the dial plan. For example, SIP Broker can be added to the adapter's dial plan this way. OK, technically there is a limit here, as the dial plan itself is limited to a little over 2000 characters max, and it takes a few characters for each provider you add. But still, the limit is pretty high in practice.

4) Since the adapter can be setup to accept direct inbound VoIP calls, you could (in theory) put any number of inbound lines that let you "forward" them to your adapter. This is often a PITA to setup, but it is a way to often support multiple VoIP providers.

5) And the SPA-3000/3102 also has a "Line" (FXO) jack, to hook up a real telco phone line (or anything that mimics a real line, such as a 2nd VoIP adapter) to. This allows you to use the same "phone" to control/access both your VoIP and your "phone line" (or both the VoIP on this adapter, and also the VoIP on a 2nd VoIP adapter).

NOTE:
In some cases you can combine #2 (outbound "gateway" calling) with #4 (inbound via forwarding to your adapter) to support both inbound and outbound from a provider other than your main one. For example, that's how I have FWD setup on my SPA-3000. For outbound calling, my main FWD account is on one of the adapter's "gateway" slots (with proper dial plan mods to allow me to call out via FWD). And for inbound calls, I used FWD's web site to forward the call to my adapter (or rather to forward the call to my SIP Broker alias which is then forwarded to my adapter).

NOTE:
And the other thing to consider is how many "accounts" does your adapter really have to support directly anyway? After all, VoXaLot already lets you combine multiple VoIP accounts, and then present all those accounts to you as if they were a single account...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
affinity

You can get SPA3000 still, let me know if you need one or two....

Edit: of course it depends on your location.

Last edited by affinity; 07-29-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Unread 07-29-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
xvaiox

Thanks for all the info! Just a couple of quick questions for you.

The up to four Gateway VOIP Providers that the adapter supports for outbound calling. I understand that you say it does not register with that provider. However is there a place for the user name and password to use the provider for outbound calling?

Also I like th idea that you can connect your POTS up to it, no need for a two line phone! That is pretty cool.

The features that the adapter comes with like Call Waiting, Cancel Call Waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID Detection (Bellcore Type 1)
Caller ID with Name/Number (Multi-national Variants)
Caller ID Blocking
Call Forwarding to PSTN or VoIP Service: No answer, Busy, All
Do Not Disturb
Call Transfer
Three-way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
Call Return
Call Back on Busy
Call Blocking with Toll Restriction

just to name a few, will work with what every VSP I put in like Voxalot as long as the features are availible from the VSP correct?

Its just so shiny and new has so many features. I am afraid though because you have said twice that it can be a PITA! I am ashamed to say I am newbie, I know over time I can figure most of it out, but do you think I can at least get the basics up and running? anything else I should know? I never like the linksys routers, but you think this is good?

And, last but not least Affinity you say you can get one of these?

Thanks for the input!

Devin
Unread 07-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup....html#post4576

Anybody knows if this option works for the SPA-3102 ?
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvaiox View Post
And, last but not least Affinity you say you can get one of these?
Search AusPrices.com: Price Comparison and Search Engine for Australia
Unread 08-14-2007, 02:51 AM   #9
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The up to four Gateway VOIP Providers that the adapter supports for outbound calling. I understand that you say it does not register with that provider. However is there a place for the user name and password to use the provider for outbound calling?
Yes. The 4 "gateways" let you set userID, password, and proxy. However, all other settings inherit the base "Line 1" provider settings.

In particular, you better be using the "STUN" method of getting past a NAT router if you want to use the "gateways", because if/when you use an optional "Outbound Proxy" with "Line 1" the gateways get that same "Outbound Proxy" (effectively making the gateways useless in that case).

BTW: The (non-obvious) syntax for using the "gateways" is:

"Gateway x:" gets userid@proxy
"GWx Auth ID:" gets userid
"GWx NAT Mapping Enable:" yes
"GWx Password:" gets your account password

NOTE: Most providers will work OK (for outbound calling) on an SPA-3000/3102 "gateway" (after you put the proper provider info into the gateway, and modify your "dial plan" to be able to optionally dial out via that gateway). However, a small fraction of providers will not accept the gateway's method of sending the userid/password at the time of the call, and therefore will not work on a "gateway". Just letting you know, in case you happen to run across such a provider, and wonder what is going on.

Quote:
The features that the adapter comes with like Call Waiting, Cancel Call Waiting, Call Waiting Caller ID Detection (Bellcore Type 1)
Caller ID with Name/Number (Multi-national Variants)
Caller ID Blocking
Call Forwarding to PSTN or VoIP Service: No answer, Busy, All
Do Not Disturb
Call Transfer
Three-way Conference Calling with Local Mixing
Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based
Call Return
Call Back on Busy
Call Blocking with Toll Restriction

just to name a few, will work with what every VSP I put in like Voxalot as long as the features are availible from the VSP correct?
Some of those features are actually local to the adapter. And any feature that is fully local to the adapter should work with any VoIP provider you connect with (as it's actually your adapter that is doing the feature in that case, not the VoIP provider).

For example, 3-way calling is really just the ability of the adapter to make two VoIP calls and bridge them. As long as you have enough bandwidth for both calls, and are either using a VoIP provider that allows two calls "at the same time" or are using a different VoIP provider for each call, this feature will work no matter what provider you are using. Likewise, *69 (return previous call) by default (unless you override this behavior in your adapter setup) will just try to place a call to whatever number last showed up on callerID. Again, no provider support is needed, as that logic is fully within the adapter itself.

For the features that aren't local, I would assume they should work through VoXaLot. But the only way to tell for sure is to try and see.

Quote:
I never like the linksys routers, but you think this is good?
These adapters weren't originally designed by LinkSys. They were designed by Sipura, a company that LinkSys later bought out...

That said, some of the earlier LinkSys routers actually had pretty good router hardware in them (although later version of the supposedly same router dumbed down the hardware), it was the router firmware that was iffy. That's why many of us actually still have LinkSys routers, we just no longer have stock LinkSys firmware in them. For example, my router has the open source http://www.dd-wrt.com firmware in it (making it a much better router than it ever was with LinkSys code in it)...
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote