Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 08-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
Tranworld

Tranworld is on a distinguished road
Default Voice quality within Voxalot - bad

I have 2 accounts with Voxalot, if I call using one of the provider from one account to another account then voice quality is pretty good however when calling directly from one account to another then the quality is MUCH worse, echo and low volume are the usual thing, yet when using another provider but VIA the 2 Voxalot accounts then it is fine? this is rather perplexing as I would have thought voxalot to voxalot should be the best for voice quality
Tranworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranworld View Post
...echo and low volume are the usual thing...
These would be issues with the SIP endpoints, not Voxalot. Voxalot merely connects two SIP endpoints to each other. Although SIP packets are exchanged through Voxalot's proxy, after the first few seconds the RTP packets (the voice) should take the shortest route through the Internet.

In some instances the RTP packets will continue through Voxalot if an endpoint refuses to establish a direct RTP connection. This behavior can be observed when calling to a Betamax VSP through Voxalot.

In order to identify the issue with your calls, I would suggest doing some packet monitoring to track the path of the RTP packets during the substandard calls.
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
Tranworld

Default Voice quality

Just to make it clearer, here's the problem

My Voxalot accounts are 968031 with Pfingo1 registered and 968032.with Pfingo2 registered. There are more provider resitered but for simplicity sake just consider that.

1 - If calling 968031 -> Pfingo1 -> Pfingo2 -> 968032 the quality is good
2 - But if one bypassed Pfingo and call direct 968031 -> 968032 then quality is bad

The end point ISP connecting the 9680xx in each case are the same, how could it be that going the long way round via Pfingo can produce better quality than going direct from Voxalot to Voxalot? that is why it is perplexing.

Here's some more example.

1 - At each end a Linksys 3102 is used to register with Voxalot. I sit in Vietnam with a telephone connected to my Linksys 3102 registered to Voxalot 968031 and call directly to 968032 registered via a Linksys 3102 in Singapore, my wife answered the phone and invariably complained of unintelligible speech.

2 - So we both hang up and I called Singapore again by activating a Pfingo registered with Voxalot 968031 and called another Pfingo registered with 968032, the conversation is then much clearer and we can talk for along time.

How can we explain that? surely I would have expected that the Voxalot to Voxalot call, cutting out Pfingo, to produce the clearest sound, but the reverse is happening which I can't understand
Unread 08-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

What's the preferred codec set on each of the ATAs communicating?

Are any STUN settings configured on each of the ATAs?

Is Optimization enabled for PFingo?
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
boatman

Hi Tranworld,

When calling your Voxalot numbers I noticed that your SIP hardware insisted on G711u codec even though I had set my PAP2 to prefer G729a codec. I suspect that your audio issue is one of bandwidth restriction. I'd suggest you change your preferred codec on both ends to G729a, then make another test call.
Unread 08-13-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Tranworld

Default Answers

The preferred codec was G711U
STUN was enabled and uses STUN.VOIPCHEAP.COM

No there was no optimization set for Pfingo.

By the way not just Pfingo, a local VoIP provider is also used which is Aglow (Aglow Alicom - Singapore Largest Store and Forward Fax Provider) with the same result.

Someone just called me on 968032 but we were cut off midway, please call again, I would love to discuss this matter
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
Tranworld

Default Changed it

Thanks Boatman for the call,

I have changed it to 729a in both location, let's see if it is still the same. I guess Pfingo allowed the call to be rerouted after establishment via the most efficient route whereas calling form 1 voxalot to another does not allow for that?
Unread 08-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
boatman

The Wireshark record of the call showed RTP packets going through Voxalot's server for the entire call. This is not the preferred way. As a test, I'd suggest you check and set

Use Outbound Proxy: no
Outbound Proxy: (leave empty)
Use OB Proxy In Dialog: no

after which I can make another test call.
Unread 08-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Tranworld

Default Proxy

The field "use outbound proxy" was set to yes in the ATA 968032 but in the ATA in Singapore with 968031 it was set to NO, all other field are as you requested. I have reset it to NO, you can call again
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Tranworld

Default Wrong emphasis

By the way I think you are concentrating on the wrong area, I am quite sure that the issue is not with the ATA as there are 3 devices registered with 968032

1 - A Linksys Sipura 3102 permanently set up in Vietnam
2 - A Linksys PAP2 set up at my home in Vietnam
3 - A Nokia E51 which is sometime logged in to 968032

All three devices, although mostly at different locations and varying bandwidth, displayed the very same characteristic,i.e. just calling Voxalot to Voxalot is not good, but invoking 2 other providers VIA Voxalot is OK.

The 3 devices thus set up provide for a quite interesting usage.