Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > VoIP Related > VoIP News

VoIP News Voice over IP news articles, stories and reviews.

Closed Thread
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Tony

Tony is a jewel in the roughTony is a jewel in the roughTony is a jewel in the rough
Default Betamax accused of fraud

My VoIP Provider - VoIP Services - - Betamax VoIP Credit - Scam - Fraud - Cheating
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
andy

andy will become famous soon enough

Interesting, but it doesn't strike me as very balanced.

Apart from how on earth could the company charge people and cards it had no details of, and is the fraud perhaps by other parties, a couple of other complaints might be a bit spurious
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Lanh

Lanh is on a distinguished road

I agree.

The article says that they're doing it with PayPal accounts also. As far as I know they only give the opportunity to pay by PayPal manually, which means that user interaction is required and PayPal at all stages tells you exactly how much is going to Betamax. There is no continuous authourity being set-up. All sounds very strange.
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
mgoebel

mgoebel is on a distinguished road

What do the other Voxalot users think? I guess that there are many Betamax clients among them. I had personally never a problem with Betamax, but some of my blog readers posted comments against them.

Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments: WTF is Betamax (VoIP)?

Maybe it's a plot from a competing company who went crazy over Betamax' prices?
Unread 01-29-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
satphoneguy

satphoneguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
What do the other Voxalot users think? I guess that there are many Betamax clients among them. I had personally never a problem with Betamax, but some of my blog readers posted comments against them.

Markus Göbel's Tech News Comments: WTF is Betamax (VoIP)?

Maybe it's a plot from a competing company who went crazy over Betamax' prices?
having lived in many parts of the world I think that a lot of what is happening is relate to cultural differences and expectation of customer service. from what i have read the vast majority of complaints are coming from the USA. here in the USA it is somewhat expected that if you are unhappy with a service or feel deceived by misleading marketing that you should be eligible for refund on what you spent. most American companies do indeed give 100% refunds to their customers no questions asked when they complain. i do know from having lived overseas that is not the business etiquette everyplace. there are a number of reasons why many people may feel deceived since the betamax 'fair use policies' are not very clear. in particular concerning additional charges for use of SIP devices on some services. it is all exasperated in that americans also feel that every company should have a customer service line where they can call with questions(or complaints) or at very least email support with a quick turnaround to response(same day)

i do have to say though that it seems many people who complain about numerous betamax companies continue to try the others. this is very similar to what i dealt with working for a very large retail company - some of the biggest complainers and returners of products for refunds were also some of the biggest shoppers; i would see them on nearly a daily basis.

i personally have never had a billing issue with betamax. although in recent months my only funded account is nonoh; since the rates are so much less for the mobile destinations that i call than with any of the SIP options and i have unlimited calls to NA and most landlines through another provider.
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #6

191727 is on a distinguished road

I use to buy betamax voip since long time back. But recently on 2007-09-18 my credit card was charged by Betamax voip credit cologne of EUR -12,50 equavalant to Swedish krona-117,33. I contacted the betamax company and they asked me for the user name. I have several usernames from different services of betamax and could not give them the exact user name for which the credit card was charged. I then contacted the bank and cancelled the credit card. I never received any refund by betamax. Teolabm Malmo
Sweden
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

This family of VOIP providers never did seem to be on the up-and-up, and from the beginning engaged in relatively dodgy practices, so when I hear reports of abuse by these companies, all I can say is that along the lines of Captain Renault, "I'm shocked, shocked" that there was dishonest and potentially fraudulent activity going on here.
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

I am not one to say they are clean, there is a lot of iffy things happening, and their policies at times are unclear.

That said though, why bother trying to get in touch with BetaMax, both Visa and MC (at least in the US/Canada) are good at doing chargebacks upon claims. Imagine, eBay sellers have to watch for chargebacks on stuff that was actually bought and shipped, so getting a chargeback done from a German Based company which has provided no real service should be a lot easier...

As for PayPal acct charges, I see that as being a bit off, unless some of the BetaMax services have started creating Preapproved Payment arrangements with PayPal...

BetaMax may have a lot of ways to get someone annoyed, just look at all the FUP troubles, but in some cases I think this is being made a bit more tragic than it is...
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
satphoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
I am not one to say they are clean, there is a lot of iffy things happening, and their policies at times are unclear.

That said though, why bother trying to get in touch with BetaMax, both Visa and MC (at least in the US/Canada) are good at doing chargebacks upon claims. Imagine, eBay sellers have to watch for chargebacks on stuff that was actually bought and shipped, so getting a chargeback done from a German Based company which has provided no real service should be a lot easier...

As for PayPal acct charges, I see that as being a bit off, unless some of the BetaMax services have started creating Preapproved Payment arrangements with PayPal...

BetaMax may have a lot of ways to get someone annoyed, just look at all the FUP troubles, but in some cases I think this is being made a bit more tragic than it is...
i tend to agree and i have to say so many of the accusations that i read are from people who said they were suspicious in previous postings before they even signed up. why did they go ahead after all? if you do not trust a company to begin with i would suggest looking for one you trust to do business with. after all there are over 2000 VOIP companies out there; yet it seems that 75% or more of every forum posting i see is related to one of the betamax companies. with that popularity they will surely have more than the average number of complaints(especially considering that they do not offer customer support - which no one in their price bracket does)

spg
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
satphoneguy

Default interesting post in tipsity

when i read this on tipsity thought of this thread:

Something fishy about some VOIP | Tipsity Online Tips
Closed Thread