Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

 
 
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-12-2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Tslam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tslam is on a distinguished road
Default Forwarding to Voicemail Server

I want to use Voxalot as an occasional answering machine for my home phone. I figured the only way to do this was to configure my SPA3k ATA to answer the PSTN when I'm out, then forward the caller to Voxalot; or more precisely, to Voxalot's mail server...

Presumably I can't just forward the call to mysip@voxalot.com, because

1) Voxalot sees my ATA is registered and won't divert to voicemail
2) My ATA can't call my number because that creates a loopback, ie calling my own mysip from my own ATA.

Putting my question in simple terms:

a) Can I (my SPA3k) send SIP calls direct to Voxalot's voicemail server?
b) What's the IP address of Voxalot's voicemail server??

Thanks!
Tslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:10 AM   #2
affinity
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 799
Thanks: 66
Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts
affinity will become famous soon enough
Default

The IP address of voxalot.com resolves to:
24.196.79.152
for me at this time; I would suspect from information provided thus far, that the voicemail server is the same as the voxalot.com server regardless of which server you choose to register your providers through.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
BJReplay
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BJReplay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslam
I want to use Voxalot as an occasional answering machine for my home phone. I figured the only way to do this was to configure my SPA3k ATA to answer the PSTN when I'm out, then forward the caller to Voxalot; or more precisely, to Voxalot's mail server...

Presumably I can't just forward the call to mysip@voxalot.com, because

1) Voxalot sees my ATA is registered and won't divert to voicemail
2) My ATA can't call my number because that creates a loopback, ie calling my own mysip from my own ATA.

Putting my question in simple terms:

a) Can I (my SPA3k) send SIP calls direct to Voxalot's voicemail server?
b) What's the IP address of Voxalot's voicemail server??

Thanks!
This is exactly what I do, and it works well - but it seems not with voxalot.com.au, only voxalot.com.

Here's my setup:
  • SPA-3000
  • Line 1 Registered to Voxalot.com.
  • Line 1 Voice Mail Server: $USER@voxalot.com
  • User 1 Cfwd No Answer Dest: $USER (or just your 6 digit voxalot ID, but $USER assumes you've got Voxalot registered).
  • User 1 Cfwd No Answer Delay: 12 (seconds) - this is about 5 ring-rings.
  • PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: Yes

If I call my PSTN, the SPA-3000 rings Line 1 as a PSTN Ring Thru. After 12 seconds, Line 1 forwards the call to my voxalot account, and Voice Mail answers immediately.
BJReplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
affinity
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 799
Thanks: 66
Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts
affinity will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJReplay
Here's my setup:
  • SPA-3000
  • Line 1 Registered to Voxalot.com.
  • Line 1 Voice Mail Server: $USER@voxalot.com
  • User 1 Cfwd No Answer Dest: $USER (or just your 6 digit voxalot ID, but $USER assumes you've got Voxalot registered).
  • User 1 Cfwd No Answer Delay: 12 (seconds) - this is about 5 ring-rings.
  • PSTN Ring Thru Line 1: Yes
Does it work as follows:
  • SPA-3000
  • Line 1 Registered to voxalot.com.au
  • Line 1 Voice Mail Server: $USER@voxalot.com
voxalot.com.au registration, but voxalot.com voicemail server
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Tslam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tslam is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJReplay
This is exactly what I do, and it works well.

If I call my PSTN, the SPA-3000 rings Line 1 as a PSTN Ring Thru. After 12 seconds, Line 1 forwards the call to my voxalot account, and Voice Mail answers immediately.
Unfortunately I get the "loopback" problem with this setup. I attempted this with Astratel about six months ago, until they directed me to their vmail server.

My SPA configuration probably differs from yours because I'm using the PSTN gateway to forward the call to sip voicemail:

WITH PSTN Line...
PSTN-to-VoIP Gateway Enable = yes
Ring Thru = yes
Auth Method = none
Default DP = 2
Dial Plan 2 = (,P2 <:mysip@voxalot.com>|<mypin,:>[x*][x*].<:@gw3>)
END WITH.

The benefit of this config is that I can dial in remotely and use my SPA to VoIP out to mobile and international locations, or pause 2 secs then go to voicemail. Trouble is, the "warm line" to mysip@voxalot.com tries to ring back to my ATA, which gets confused and starts ringing all over again.

Any thoughts? I reckon that I need the address of the vmail server, not the sipserver.

EDIT: To troubleshoot this problem, I tried disabling my PSTN Gateway, and checking the Cfwd No Ans Dest. Now my phone rings six times, goes silent briefly, rings twice more, then answers "sorry the number you have called could not be connected, please try again".

Did you mean literally "$USER" as the Dest? And literally "$USER@voxalot.com" as the designated vmail server on Line 1? That's what I've got.

I figured that, if I can get the No Ans Dest working, I can have another go at the PSTN gateway method... which I still think needs the vmailserver IP address.

Last edited by Tslam; 06-12-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Tslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
BJReplay
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BJReplay is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslam
My SPA configuration probably differs from yours because I'm using the PSTN gateway to forward the call to sip voicemail:
...
WITH PSTN Line...
PSTN-to-VoIP Gateway Enable = yes
Yes, I think this is a critical difference, and probably completely changes the way the SPA terminates the incoming PSTN call, and hooks it through to the VOIP side of things.
Quote:
END WITH.
You're showing your VB there, but I knew exactly what you meant.
Quote:
Did you mean literally "$USER" as the Dest? And literally "$USER@voxalot.com" as the designated vmail server on Line 1? That's what I've got.
Yes, @USER resolves to the Line1.SubscriberInformation.UserID

No need for it - unless you happened to have two voxalot user ids and wanted to switch a SPA between them both, by changing one field only (or are just trying to be clever). The voice mail and call forward destinations would follow that.
BJReplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Tslam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tslam is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJReplay
Yes, @USER resolves to the Line1.SubscriberInformation.UserID

No need for it - unless you happened to have two voxalot user ids. The voice mail and call forward destinations would follow that.
Ok, so the basic config is simply No Ans Dest = $USER, and PSTN-to-VoIP disabled. I have that, with Line1->Voicemail Server = blank. But I'm still getting "sorry, the number you have called...".

Perhaps I have a set up problem with call forwarding to $USER. The best way to fix that might be to call forward to the vmail IP instead. Methinks that's a question for one of the knights of Voxalot.
Tslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
BJReplay
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BJReplay is on a distinguished road
Default Some other thoughts

I assume these are already set correctly, but just in case, here is another setting to check:

Line1.Supplementary Service Subscription.Cfwd All Serv := Yes (I've got all supplementary services set to yes).

From reading the admin guide, the Call Forward destinations are expected to be numbers. You could specify something like 0414123456@gw0 for example, so an incoming call to Line1 gets forwarded to the specified number on PSTN (I know, not what you're trying to do here), but my reading is it's a number that will be called (via a SIP Invite). So the spa is expecting to "dial" that number when the call forward is activated - i.e. after a given number of seconds with no answer.

I don't know if you can specify GW1-4, or just GW0, and I'm not sure if dial plan processing occurs or not. One thought is to set the call forward destination to the monkeys (600), and see if when you call your PSTN, you get put through to the monkeys.

Sorry I can't be more help - it works for me, but I don't have the PSTN to VOIP gateway set up.
BJReplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
Tslam
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tslam is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJReplay
I assume these are already set correctly, but just in case, here is another setting to check:

Line1.Supplementary Service Subscription.Cfwd All Serv := Yes

I don't know if you can specify GW1-4, or just GW0, and I'm not sure if dial plan processing occurs or not. One thought is to set the call forward destination to the monkeys (600), and see if when you call your PSTN, you get put through to the monkeys.
Thanks for these new ideas. I have Cfwd Serv = Yes by default.

You can specify GW1-4 as Cfwd Dest. I just tried *266300@gw3, where gw3 = sipbroker.com. And it works (monkeys).

But Cfwd Dest = 123456@voxalot.com just rings out. As mentioned previously, Dest = $USER results in "sorry, the number you have called could not be connected".
Tslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #10
BJReplay
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 36
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BJReplay is on a distinguished road
Default

Last suggestion - just try Cfwd dest = 123456 (where 123456 is your voxalot number).
BJReplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Short Voicemail Annoyance TBhimdi Voxalot Support 1 05-20-2007 10:58 PM
Voicemail Issue richard Voxalot Support 8 05-08-2007 03:23 AM
Forward to Voicemail - Differences between Servers BJReplay Voxalot Support 2 09-05-2006 04:22 AM
Possible to utilise Voxalot voicemail when forwarding? Funkdafied Voxalot Support 2 06-20-2006 07:16 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.