Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > SIP Broker Forums > SIP Broker Support

SIP Broker Support Support for the SIP Broker service.

Unread 03-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
kieranmullen

kieranmullen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kieranmullen Send a message via Yahoo to kieranmullen Send a message via Skype™ to kieranmullen
Default Vonage now has shared call in numbers too... Like sipbroker

Sipbroker had such a great idea... Vonage is now using it too. Although their network still isnt as open as sipbroker.com

Vonage - A better phone service for less - V-Access

I dont know if anyone will even see this post becuase it seems this forum is dead. I posted several questions and no responses.

KieranMullen

Last edited by martin; 04-17-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed referer code
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
Sipbroker had such a great idea... Vonage is now using it too. Although their network still isnt as open as sipbroker.com

Vonage - A better phone service for less - V-Access
Interesting. It does look like they might have tried imitating our PSTN numbers. I guess that's a compliment, if that's what happened.

Of course, the idea of having "local access" numbers isn't exactly new, nor did SIP Broker invent the concept. In fact, I remember calling card companies of the 1980's, and ISPs of the 1990's, both used "local access numbers" to make it easier/cheaper for callers to use their services. And SIP Broker wasn't even the first group to offer PSTN access for VoIP (for example, "Free World Dialup" had a few dial-in numbers, before SIP Broker was even founded). So if Vonage wants to provide PSTN numbers for calling Vonage customers, I don't see that we have any sort of "lock" on the idea.

Still, I find it interesting that Vonage is offering all these PSTN dial-in numbers, while still (last I heard) not allowing SIP calling to their users. So all I can conclude, is that this is a marketing ploy, to continue to try to get "customer lock in" with their service. Vonage service is clearly not "open", nor do they want it to be. Instead, they want all their customers to be locked into Vonage to handle ALL their VoIP needs (vs the "you can shop around" concepts that SIP Broker promotes).

BTW: I personally used to be a Vonage customer, a few years back (when I was first starting out with VoIP). I dropped them after they started tacking on "fees" to their bill, while "spinning it" as a rate/cost lowering (it wasn't, as the total cost to me was was going up slightly, even though the advertised "price", not counting the fees, was going down). And since that time, I haven't seen anything (including these new PSTN numbers) that would make me want to come back to them. It's not that I personally have a real bad taste about the service (I do hate their annoying TV jingle though), it's just I find them more restrictive and a little more costly than many of their competitors.

However, I suppose if I was someone with many friends/relatives in areas with Vonage dial-in numbers (not already covered by SIP Broker numbers), I might rethink that position. Because, what Vonage has essentially done, is give their customers 2-stage DIDs (i.e. like our PSTN numbers, you dial the DID, than at the voice prompt dial the party you want to reach) in a huge number of rate centers, for no extra cost (beyond the price of the Vonage service itself). So if those DIDs were of use to me, I might actually consider going back.

NOTE: Vonage is (by their design) a "locked down" VoIP service (i.e. they don't "play nice" with other VoIP services, such as SIP Broker). However, that doesn't mean you couldn't use something like a PhoneGnome or a LinkSys SPA-3102, to combine Vonage service with other VoIP. Remember, the output of the (locked down) Vonage adapter looks like a "phone line" (just as is true of many VoIP adapters out there). So VoIP hardware designed to let you hook it up to a real (telco) "phone line" as well, should work just as well to combine the Vonage adapter with other VoIP (such as SIP Broker)...

Last edited by martin; 04-17-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Removed referer code
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #3
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

I used to be a Vonage customer when I first started using VOIP. When I began to learn how VOIP unfriendly the service is, and how many restrictions they have on their service, I decided to move to an open VOIP service.

Using Vonage, every connection has essentially to go through the land line number, certain 1-800 numbers are blocked, (Eg call a Competitor's toll free numbers and you get a message "This number is not accessible from your calling area"), long distance access numbers, etc. The only peering allowed is with other Vonage customers.

People like Voxalot, Sipbroker and Blueface are to be complimented for setting up open networks and services that specifically allow third parties to be used as providers, and facilitate peering between any network that opts to allow this feature.

Thanks, guys, really appreciate your service, support and vision !!
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
kieranmullen

Send a message via AIM to kieranmullen Send a message via Yahoo to kieranmullen Send a message via Skype™ to kieranmullen

We I know that sipbroker didnt invent it .. It was just something I found interesting and thought I would share.

However there is still alot of mystery with sipbroker.com Who runs it? Why are they running it? How are they promoting it? (my other unanswered posts)

KieranMullen
Unread 03-31-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Who runs it?
The same company that is behind Voxalot (Australian company Voxalot Pty Ltd).

Quote:
Why are they running it?
It is run as a service to the community.

Quote:
How are they promoting it?
We do not actively promote it. At the moment, it is purely word of mouth.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
twen

twen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
The same company that is behind Voxalot (Australian company Voxalot Pty Ltd).
It is run as a service to the community.
We do not actively promote it. At the moment, it is purely word of mouth.
When I see how you worek on these project, I can't hide and not tell that your running a company I would like to work for ! I really like the way you handle all this ! Congrats, Martin and the team of unknown co-worker

Olivier
twen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twen View Post
When I see how you worek on these project, I can't hide and not tell that your running a company I would like to work for ! I really like the way you handle all this ! Congrats, Martin and the team of unknown co-worker

Olivier
Thanks Olivier. Take a look at http://forum.voxalot.com/showgroups.php for a list of names that help out with the service.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
TBhimdi

TBhimdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Link without referrer and promo id.
TBhimdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
kieranmullen

Odd I dont remember putting a referrer code in there? Could you pm it to me? I am not a vonage client and could not benefit from their referral program. (you have to be a client to get referrals) Perhaps it was off the news site I copied it from.

KM