Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 05-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
boysana

boysana is on a distinguished road
Default iinetphone+billion 7404+voxalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico74 View Post
After regretable and undue intemperance on my part, and more importantly a new Voxalot framework release - iiNet registration now works in a stable fashion.

As part of my penance, I humbly submit my settings.

Member Details
Preferred Server (for SIP registrations): voxalot.com.au

Provider List
Description: iiNet
Username: {your 10 digit VoIP number}
Password: {VoIP password} <-- NOTE: This is not your internet access password.
Codecs: alaw;ulaw;g729
Host: 203.55.231.194
Port: 5060
Active: Yes
SIP Register: Yes

Now, contrary to popular opinion, the iiNet supplied wireless VoIP router (the attractively named Belkin F1PI241EGau) can work with Voxalot!
It is not "locked", but if at any time you modify the settings on the "Setup Wizard" page (apart from clicking the "Register" and "Unregister" buttons) it will auto-configure back to the default iiNet settings instead of the Voxalot settings. All settings must only be modified on the "VoIP" page.

Below are the settings I use. I know some of them might be "completely nuts" - but hey, they work for me!

Port Setting - Phone 1
Phone Number: {your 6 digit Voxalot number}
Display Name: {your 6 digit Voxalot number}
SIP Domain: voxalot.com.au
Sip Server: voxalot.com.au
Username: {your 6 digit Voxalot number}
Password: {your Voxalot password}

SIP Setting - SIP Parameters
SIP Listen Port: 5060
Proxy IP: voxalot.com.au
Proxy Port: 5060
Registrar IP: voxalot.com.au
Registrar Port: 5060
Re-Registration Time Interval: 1800

VOIP Advanced Setting
Support Call Waiting: Yes
Caller-ID Presentation: Yes
Support User-Agent Header: Yes
Support Out of Band DTMF: No
Special Dial tone for VOIP call: No
Use strict routing for nonstandard SIP server: No
Start RTP session before receiving ACK: No
Use SRV option for SIP registration: Yes
Use SIP ALG option: No
Call Hold Version: RFC3264
Telephony Hook Flash Timer: 50ms ~ 250ms
Telephony Tone Country Setting: Australia
Codec Rate(G723, G729, G711): 4 times with sample rate
Voice Codec Configuration: G.711 A law, G.711 U law, G.729, G.723.1

Port Advanced Setting - Phone 1
Volume Gain Control: Fixed (Input=4 / Output=-14)
Jitter Buffer Mode: Fixed
Jitter Buffer Delay (ms): 40
Echo Canceller Delay: 32ms
VAD: No
CNG: No
PLC: Yes
Caller ID Mode: No
Inter Digit Delay: 4 Sec.
Additional Ringing Mode: Yes
T.38 Mode: Yes

I hope this helps other attempting to use iiNet with Voxalot.

Thanks to Martin and the rest of the Voxalot team for a wonderful service.

Cheers,
Rico74.
Can this work for a billion 7404VGP? i can't find the support user-agent header option in the GUI, using 5.52f
Regards Boyd

Last edited by boysana; 05-23-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: correcting firmware version
boysana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
snowleopard

snowleopard is on a distinguished road

Is this information still valid? It's ages old...

I tried using those settings (the Voxalot ones to register to IINet, as I have a Sipura 3000) but it didn't work. I modified the settings using both iinetphone.iinet.net.au and sip.qld.iinet.net.au but neither seemed to work.

I'm hoping this hasn't been enforced by IINet ... as it's nazi-ism over small regulations that fall into grey areas most of the time. I was hoping not to have to revert to a provider such as Engin as my main provider ...
snowleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 05:34 AM   #13
stebie

stebie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
Is this information still valid? It's ages old...

I tried using those settings (the Voxalot ones to register to IINet, as I have a Sipura 3000) but it didn't work. I modified the settings using both iinetphone.iinet.net.au and sip.qld.iinet.net.au but neither seemed to work.

I'm hoping this hasn't been enforced by IINet ... as it's nazi-ism over small regulations that fall into grey areas most of the time. I was hoping not to have to revert to a provider such as Engin as my main provider ...
I'm experiencing similar issues at present. With my VoIP modem (Billion 7401VGP-M) set up with voxalot and voxalot set up with iinetphone (and registered), calling a phone would give an engaged tone. However, calling my DID rings my phone.

I also tested it with SJphone (softphone) and it returns '403 Forbidden' when I try to dial. Inbound calls, as tested on my 7401VGP-M, rang my softphone too.

I'm not sure if this is due to the INVITE SIP packets being initiated from a non-iinet IP (voxalot's), but it's definitely possible. I'll test this theory when I get a chance - may not be for up to a month.

If anyone is currently having success in dialling using iinetphone via voxalot, please let us know.
stebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:10 AM   #14
snowleopard

Since this post I have given up on iiNetPhone altogether.
After speaking with a number of CSOs at iiNet, none of them could give me any information (or forward my call to someone who could) regarding the technicalities behind the Outbound Proxy for iiNetPhone.
It seems (opinion only) that iiNet do not want to actually offer 'VoIP' ... They want to offer 'LoIP' ... "Landline Over IP'. I came to this conclusion from a number of factors, including the prices of their calls (which they would be making a ridiculous profit from, if I understand it right).

I have since created accounts with PennyTel ($5/mth for DID, 8c local calls to 20 countries, cheap other calls, multiple outbound lines) and MyNetFone ($30/yr DIDs, also 10c local calls, good as a backup provider). Both of these providers are prepaid, so that eliminates bills from multiple providers. I also use a FWD account for USA 1-8XX free calls.

I am also looking to invest in a number of WiFi IP phones through my work, which would enable me to make more use of the multiple lines from PennyTel than I currently can (multi-handset analog cordless with ATA). If anyone happens to know a good (cheap) seller of these, it might be of interest to me.

If you want any more info about any of this, let me know (PM if you like).
Unread 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
stebie

Default voxalot > iinetphone

One of the main reasons I want to use iinetphone is for its QoS, assisting to provide high call quality. Another is that iinetphone is an unshaped service, so if you do get shaped by download too much, your iinetphone service will still work fine (theoretically speaking, anyway).

My iinetphone DID is not known by anyone (PSTN number is used) so what I'll probably do is use voxalot with my current providers (Pennytel, WDP, SIPME) when unshaped and if I get shaped, switch to iinetphone. The only (minor) downside is the reliance on our modem's QoS, but it shouldn't be all that bad!
Unread 07-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #16
snowleopard

I'm on ADSL2+ (but only getting 7Mbps, courtesy of Hellstra copper quality), but have never had a 'bad quality' VoIP call on any provider. This is taking into account the fact that I have two P2P programs running 24x7 on my network.

I have never put much faith into QoS, especially from an ISP. The unshaped data might be nice, but if I ever hit my data limit, I'll change my plan up.
Unread 07-22-2007, 06:28 AM   #17
stebie

I tested iiNet VoIP from my parents' OptusNet Cable Internet connection and it was able to register and make outbound calls without a problem. I didn't test it to the extent of answering the call, but the recipient phone was ringing, which is further than what I can get with voxalot.

iiNet VoIP with voxalot: inbound works^, outbound fails. So, what could the possibilities be as to the cause?

* iiNet blocking/disallowing the particular method that voxalot performs?
* iiNet rejecting requests based on the User-Agent field used by voxalot?

^basic test consisted of dialling DID and VoIP phone ringing. I've not tested beyond this.
Unread 07-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #18
snowleopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebie View Post
I tested iiNet VoIP from my parents' OptusNet Cable Internet connection and it was able to register and make outbound calls without a problem. I didn't test it to the extent of answering the call, but the recipient phone was ringing, which is further than what I can get with voxalot.

iiNet VoIP with voxalot: inbound works^, outbound fails. So, what could the possibilities be as to the cause?

* iiNet blocking/disallowing the particular method that voxalot performs?
* iiNet rejecting requests based on the User-Agent field used by voxalot?

^basic test consisted of dialling DID and VoIP phone ringing. I've not tested beyond this.
AFAIK iiNet require the use of an 'Outbound (OB) Proxy'. Their reasoning behind this is that it makes billing easier, as all connections to their VoIP system (outbound) come from their own proxy, and they can authenticate their own users easier. This practice is generally frowned upon by other VoIP providers (Engin, PennyTel) as it is not necessary if the VoIP infrastructure is configured correctly, and causes issues (as seen by this thread) on any hardware/software that uses multiple registrations.
It is possible to use iiNet VoIP from another provider's connection (assuming you have an ATA/IPPhone/Softphone that can set the proxy), albeit without QoS. However, VoxaLot do not (currently) support the use of an OB Proxy on registrations. I am hoping that might change now that they charge for their accounts, and it might be a feature that they introduce for the higher plans.

In regards to inbound working, there are two distinct methods of inbound calls to a SIP device - VoIP calls that use the PSTN, and 'True VoIP' calls that are IP-to-IP. Using voxalot, it is possible to call a registered device directly (as documented elsewhere) using membernumber@au.voxalot.com - and this is possible with most other VoIP providers as well: membernumber@sip.pennytel.com for example. This functionality is disabled by iiNet (phonenumber@iinetphone.iinet.net.au doesn't work) for some reason they have refused to explain.

Hope this serves to answer your queries.
Unread 07-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
stebie

Thanks for your reply, but I'm unsure about a couple of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
AFAIK iiNet require the use of an 'Outbound (OB) Proxy'. Their reasoning behind this is that it makes billing easier, as all connections to their VoIP system (outbound) come from their own proxy, and they can authenticate their own users easier. This practice is generally frowned upon by other VoIP providers (Engin, PennyTel) as it is not necessary if the VoIP infrastructure is configured correctly, and causes issues (as seen by this thread) on any hardware/software that uses multiple registrations.
I have voxalot configured the same way I have my (working) softphone configured:

* From Domain: iinetphone.iinet.net.au
* SIP server: sip.vic.iinet.net.au
* Outbound (OB) Proxy: (blank in softphone; no option in voxalot)
* etc...

so I cannot see the effective difference here as the OB Proxy would be the same for both(?). Or, my softphone is using the SIP server as an outbound proxy by default and voxalot uses a different method to establish outbound calls?

Quote:
In regards to inbound working, there are two distinct methods of inbound calls to a SIP device - VoIP calls that use the PSTN, and 'True VoIP' calls that are IP-to-IP. Using voxalot, it is possible to call a registered device directly (as documented elsewhere) using membernumber@au.voxalot.com - and this is possible with most other VoIP providers as well: membernumber@sip.pennytel.com for example. This functionality is disabled by iiNet (phonenumber@iinetphone.iinet.net.au doesn't work) for some reason they have refused to explain.
Most likely to prevent this sort of behaviour *sigh*. Not sure why though.
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #20
stebie

For registrations, does voxalot send a timely packet to ensure the connection is still registered i.e. OPTIONS packet? If so, (if I may ask) how often is it sent?

The reason I ask is after some digging, I found the following thread:

Trixbox & iinetphone failed calls - Asterisk - Voice over IP
(although, I don't know how valid it is nowadays)

The qualify=yes option in Asterisk sends an OPTIONS request packet to the SIP server every 2 seconds (default value). It sounds like, for this particular user, iiNet temporarily blocked him due to 'hammering' the SIP server.

If this is the case with voxalot, i.e. sending an OPTIONS request packet at a regular interval (let's say, 30 or 60 seconds), would it be possible the number of SIP registrations to iiNet cause iiNet to block voxalot due to the assumed 'hammering'?