Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 12-08-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Bumblebee

Bumblebee is on a distinguished road
Default Voxalot Basic features

My understanding is that adding a gizmo5 account does not require SIP registration. Does this mean that calls to Voxalot would forward to gizmo? Or would a lite account be required to setup call plans?
Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
My understanding is that adding a gizmo5 account does not require SIP registration. Does this mean that calls to Voxalot would forward to gizmo? Or would a lite account be required to setup call plans?
A (free) basic account allows you to make call plans, but does NOT allow you to register. So a basic account can be used for any outbound calling you want (including with call plans that go via SIPphone/Gizmo5 as a provider). So if you only intend to make outbound calls via your SIPphone/Gizmo5 account (and don't care about receiving inbound SIPphone/Gizmo5 calls), you are good to go only any of the VoXaLot account plans (including the "free basic" VoXaLot plan).

However, since a basic account doesn't let you "register", if you want to have inbound calls from your provider (in your case SIPphone/Gizmo5) you either:

A) Need to upgrade your VoXaLot account to at least a "Lite" account, so that you can "register" your provider with your VoXaLot account.

or B) Somehow setup your provider send inbound calls directly to your VoIP adapter, bypassing VoXaLot (for inbound). The details of this (if it's possible at all), would vary with your VoIP provider and which VoIP hardware you have.

or C) If you have a provider that allows you to forward inbound calls to a SIP URI (internet phone address), you could tell your provider to forward those calls to sip:*010xxxxx@us.voxalot.com (where xxxxxx is your 6 digit VoXaLot number). If you can do this (and unless I missed that feature on my SIPPhone/Gizmo5 account, SIPPhone/Gizmo5 does NOT offer such "inbound call forwarding") than the inbound "forwarded call" will ring your VoXaLot attached VoIP adapter (even on a free/basic VoXaLot account).

NOTE: Unless I overlooked some SIPPhone/Gizmo5 forwarding feature, I don't think option C (forwarding the inbound call to VoXaLot) is an option with SIPPhone/Gizmo5. But option C does work very well with some other providers, to allow inbound calls without using up any "registration" spot on VoXaLot (and therefore that option can work even with a "basic" VoXaLot account). For example, http://ipkall.com provides free incoming phone numbers, and you can easily attach an incoming IPKall number to a VoXaLot account (even a "basic" VoXaLot account) by simply telling IPKall to send the call to "SIP Phone Number:" *010xxxxxx (where xxxxxx is your VoXaLot 6-digit number) and "SIP Proxy:" us.voxalot.com

FWIW: I have some limited experience with SIPPhone/Gizmo5, because I keep one of their accounts around to give me (and my family) access to their free "Backdoor Dialing" feature. And so I know that SIPPhone/Gizmo5 accounts do (if properly setup in VoXaLot) work fine as an "outbound only" provider even on the basic VoXaLot account. However, since I haven't yet bothered setting up SIPphone/Gizmo5 for incoming calls, I haven't investigated much as to which of the above options actually work (with SIPPhone/Gizmo5) for incoming calls. So if you also need incoming SIPPhone/Gizmo5 calls, YMMV.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
kurun

kurun is a jewel in the roughkurun is a jewel in the rough

Out of curiosity, I did a check on the Gizmo5 client.

Under the Edit menu, there is a Forwarding feature, and forwarding to a SIP address is supported (For example, this would be entered as sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com).
This should work with a basic Voxalot account also.

Generally, I use the Gizmo5 client for making outgoing SIP calls from behind a corporate firewall with the usual SIP ports blocked. It works quite well.

I never use the Gizmo5 client for incoming calls, so have never used this forwarding feature.
kurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
Bumblebee

FWIW - Does not look like it allows forwarding to another SIP URI to me. (See attached photo)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-Gizmo Project - Call Forwarding.png (13.7 KB, 11 views)
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
kurun

I am using Version 4.04 (v385).
Attached Images
File Type: png Gizmo.Ver.4.04.forwarding.PNG (11.5 KB, 10 views)
Unread 12-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Bumblebee

I'm using 3.1.0.79 for linux.
Unread 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
kurun

Have not checked the Linux version out yet.
I should not assume that all versions have the same features.
Maybe they will implement it in the Linux version in the future.
Unread 12-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurun View Post
Have not checked the Linux version out yet.
I should not assume that all versions have the same features.
OTOH I haven't even bothered installing any version of their client on my PC, because I'm only interested in using SIPphone/Gizmo5 indirectly from my VoXaLot account. Instead, I just go to SIPphone - Call worldwide over your Internet connection with any phone and click in the "Member Login" button to control my account.

And while that mostly seems to work well, I didn't find any "inbound forwarding" option on that web portal page. So it appears as if your inbound SIPphone/Gizmo5 "forwarding options" vary depending upon how you control your SIPphone/Gizmo5 account (web page, or some version of their Gizmo5 client).
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
kurun

I installed the Gizmo Debian client on an Asus EEE pc running Ubuntu 8.10, and sure enough the menu on the Gizmo client does not list sip forwarding as an option.

However, I tested forwarding to sip:xxxxxx@voxalot.com, and it worked like a charm.
Unread 12-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
Bumblebee

kurun: Yes, thanks for testing that. I was about to report the same success as well!

DracoFelis: Gizmo5/SipPhone seems to keep some of their advanced options in the desktop client. e.g. Changing/recording voicemail message and SMS voicemail alerts (although the former you can do on your phone and the latter option hasn't worked for me).

Now that it is forwarded...most of the settings don't matter anyway.