Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 09-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
dc2007

dc2007 is on a distinguished road
Default spa3k and ip change/disconnects

i just realized that everytime my net disconnects or changes ip , my line1 which is vox fails to register but strangely enough this seems a vox only problem with my ata because i can still call using another provider in gw4.
anyone out here that's familiar with spa3k , please help me how to solve this because its so frustrating that i have to power cycle everytime this happens
will changing stun server helps? any other possibilites?
dc2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2007 View Post
i just realized that everytime my net disconnects or changes ip , my line1 which is vox fails to register
It's a problem with your internet going down and/or changing IP. This disruption in your internet will translate into disruption of your VoIP, no matter which VoIP adapter you are using.

If your internet is down, it is impossible to register (as you have no internet). If your internet changes IP (but otherwise stays up), than you can't effectively register until the adapter's STUN sees the IP change, and your next "registration" interval rolls along. Shortening your registration interval will help keep this time shorter, but you will still lose registration until you have a new stable IP, your adapter senses this new IP, and your adapter again tries to register.

Quote:
but strangely enough this seems a vox only problem with my ata because i can still call using another provider in gw4.
No, it's a "registration" (vs merely calling out) problem. The same thing would likely happen with any other provider you tried to "register" (i.e. it's NOT a VoXaLot problem per se).

Calling out (via a "gateway" or other means) merely requires a current active internet connection. But "registration" requires an active internet connection + no internet changes/disruptions since the last adapter "registration" attempt + the last "registration" had to be good. This means that "registration" is easier to lose (be down) than merely calling out (via a "gateway", or other means).

Quote:
anyone out here that's familiar with spa3k ,
Settings that might help some:

Make Call Without Reg: yes

The above setting won't help you keep "registration" (the real problem there is your internet going down and/or IP address changing), but you may still be able to make outbound VoXaLot account when registration is down. However, until registration goes back up, you will still be unable to receive inbound calls.

Reg Min Expires: 100
Reg Max Expires: 1200
Reg Retry Intvl: 72
Reg Retry Long Intvl: 140

The above 4 settings also won't prevent you from losing registration. But those settings might help your adapter recover from this problem a little quicker (i.e. in a few minute, instead of several hours).

Quote:
please help me how to solve this because its so frustrating that i have to power cycle everytime this happens
The underlying problem is your internet. For proper stable VoIP, you need to keep your internet up and with the same IP. Every time your internet goes down, it will disrupt your VoIP. And likewise, every time your IP address changes, your VoIP will be disrupted. This isn't a VoXaLot issue, this is a general VoIP issue (i.e. it will happen with virtually any VoIP provider). So if you want this annoyance "fixed", you really have to "fix" your internet first!

However, the truth of the matter is, that many of us don't have the practical option to upgrade our internet. So it's still useful to look into adapter settings that help some to deal with the disruptions caused by this problem. And that's what the recommended (above) adapter settings do (help your adapter more quickly recover from this internet disruption, and the "cost" of slightly more overall bandwidth use to maintain your connection). And it also doesn't hurt to have your router send "keep alive packets", to hopefully hold onto your internet connection as long as possible (with the hopes of minimizing how often your internet goes down and/or changes its IP).

But in the end, all of these "fixes" are just band-aid solutions to lower the annoyance of these problems. Because the real CAUSE of these problems is your unstable internet that frequently loses a connection and/or changes your IP address. So the best these settings can do is help to minimize the problems caused by internet disruptions. But if you really want to prevent the VoIP headaches, you really have to "fix your internet" first (as any other change will just lower how long the disruption occurs).
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
dc2007

thanks for the prompt and comprehensive reply.
i overlooked the fact that providers as gateway all that's needed is the connection for able to call so that's why i can still have outgoing using gw4 but how come even though i have a vox account in gw2 and still i cant use it for outgoing unlike the one in gw4?
i also forgot to mention how come im not getting the same problem with my pstn line registration?

Last edited by dc2007; 09-25-2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: additional info
Unread 09-26-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
DracoFelis

Quote:
but how come even though i have a vox account in gw2 and still i cant use it for outgoing unlike the one in gw4?
i also forgot to mention how come im not getting the same problem with my pstn line registration?
Without more info, I can only guess.

However, I'm curious, how do you know that the "registration" is still good on the PSTN side of things? Did you get a VoIP=>PSTN call that worked at that point? If not, it may very well be that the PSTN side registration also failed (when your internet glitched), you just didn't realize it yet. And that's possible even if the status page still shows "registered" (as sometimes the adapter doesn't immediately catch on to the fact that it lost it's registration, so it still thinks it's registered until some external event convinces it otherwise).

BTW: One thing that might help is to see what your actual settings are.
I'm not sure it will answer the all of our questions, but one thing you could do is upload a copy of your adapter configuration (except for passwords) to this forum, so that we can look over the details. The easiest (and most complete) way to do that is:

1) Log into your adapter as "admin login" and "advanced". It doesn't matter which "tab" you are on, but your browser needs to be logged in as the full (admin advanced) user setting.

2) Tell your browser to "save as" the current web page (again, it doesn't matter which tab, as all tabs are technically part of the same "web page"), and save the file on your disk drive as something like "mysettings.htm".

3) Use the ZIP tool of your choice to ZIP up that "mysettings.htm" file into a "mysettings.zip" file.

4) Add a message to this thread, with whatever text (even if it's just a "Here are my current settings" message. Then below the text edit window you should find a "Manage Attachments" button. If you press that button, you should be allowed to add/upload your "mysettings.zip" file onto the message.

5) Save the message and included attachment.

At that point (if all went as planned), anyone who reads your message can download the mysettings.zip file, uncompress it, than bring up the "mysettings.htm" file in their web browser. Once they do, they will see everything you would see locally at the time you saved it (including having the "tabs" work to switch between pages). However, like the local display, all passwords will be "******* out", and therefore you will NOT be giving up your passwords to the world. However, all other info will be present. This should help others see what settings you have, just in case that sheds any light on the subject.
Unread 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
dc2007

here it is..hope i did it right.
i forgot to indicate also that the voip-->pstn works as i able to received the incoming call
Attached Files
File Type: zip mysettings.zip (16.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by dc2007; 09-26-2007 at 08:41 AM. Reason: forgot
Unread 09-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
DracoFelis

Quote:
here it is..hope i did it right.
Your info looks like it came through fine. The following comments are based upon the info I saw in your attached (settings) file:

{edit: Removed mistaken comments about the OP's STUN settings}
The STUN settings I use/recommend are included in my attached GIF.

I also noticed you have DNS SRV enabled for line 1, but NOT for the PSTN line. This may also explain why your PSTN line is more reliable than "Line 1" (VoXaLot). Because while VoXaLot supports DNS SRV, and DNS SRV is "in theory" better than the default/alternative, in my experience enabling DNS SRV on the adapter actually tends to considerably LOWER reliability. So, since it is optional with VoXaLot, I would personally suggest you set both "Use DNS SRV:" and "DNS SRV Auto Prefix:" to "no" (i.e. change them from "yes" to "no", and see if it helps any).

And finally, it wouldn't hurt to set "Ans Call Without Reg:" to "yes" as well. In theory this should make it slightly easier to receive an inbound call after a registration that got disrupted for some reason. However, in many cases other factors block the incomming call in that case, so this setting doesn't help most of the time. So I consider this setting as one that helps only a very small amount, but doesn't hurt anything to leave on (so why not set it to "yes", as you have nothing to lose?).

But beyond those comments, most of what I was seeing in your settings looked pretty good (at least on my initial look over it).
Attached Images
File Type: gif STUN2.GIF (3.8 KB, 10 views)
Unread 09-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
dc2007

im a bit confuse about your stun gif..upon checking my settings its the same as the one in gif.
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:39 AM   #8
DracoFelis

Quote:
im a bit confuse about your stun gif..upon checking my settings its the same as the one in gif.
Right you are. Although I could have sworn I read a different set of settings this morning. Oh well, that's what happens when you try to quickly give advice before heading off for the day with your wife. Sometimes you just move too fast, and make silly mistakes...

i.e. Please disregard my comment about the STUN settings, as (upon reexamination of your STUN settings I see them to be correct, and the same as mine)...