Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
mgoebel

mgoebel is on a distinguished road
Default Does anybody understand this new GizmoCall feature?

I am always looking for a free inbound number from Peru and today I thought that I had found it in a new service from Gizmo:

Gizmo – A free phone for your computer - Forum
What are Free Local Numbers and how do they work?
A "Free Local Number" is a new feature of Gizmo Call that allows people around the world to call you by dialing a local number from their mobile phone or land line which you can answer on your computer at no cost to you.
[...]
Here's how it works:
When you call someone using Gizmo Call, a number will display on your screen. This number is what we refer to as a Free Local Number, which will be a local phone number in either the same region of the person you are calling or a number in the least expensive neighboring region for them to call. The next step for you is to tell the person you called to call you back at the Free Local Number on your screen. Optionally, you can email the number or send an SMS to the person's mobile using Gizmo SMS. The Free Local Number will also appear in the caller ID history of the person you called. Once the person you called has this Free Local Number, they can call you anytime at no charge or at a low cost. You can receive calls on your computer, mobile, or land line phone. To receive calls on your computer, you must first be logged in to Gizmo Call. ...
I have Gizmo Project installed in Voxalot and the same login data work for GizmoCall. So my aim is to use this "Free Local Numbers" feature to ring my Voxalot account. I would like to have a free call in number in Peru, but this did not work yet. I don't know I have done something wrong or if the service just doesn't work well.

Could you maybe check out this service as well and see how it works in your case? There is a little bit information at:
Free Local Numbers FAQ
Gizmo – A free phone for your computer - Help

Theoretically this could be a great endorsment to a Voxalot account. I hope that you have more luck with it and maybe you can explain me soon how it realy works. The latest postings in the forum are mine.

Thank you!
mgoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
ctylor

ctylor will become famous soon enough

Hi there. Unfortunately I think the only time one of these 'free numbers' would appear on your call out is when you make the call through your web browser using the Gizmo Call service plugin.

If you place the call using the Gizmo Project software or an ATA (or Voxalot using your Gizmo Project account), even though it does use the same username and password data, it appears to follow the same old Call Out rules as before and list your outbound call as 1747etc. on the called person's caller ID. At least that's what the documentation you provided seems to say. That this is only for the Gizmo Call web service and not Gizmo Call Out (which is what Voxalot uses when configured for SipPhone).
ctylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2007, 10:16 PM   #3
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

We are currently working with the SIPphone guys on GizmoCall.

All I can say is watch this space.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
jfinlayson

jfinlayson is on a distinguished road
Default What Caller ID is displayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctylor View Post
Hi there. Unfortunately I think the only time one of these 'free numbers' would appear on your call out is when you make the call through your web browser using the Gizmo Call service plugin.

If you place the call using the Gizmo Project software or an ATA (or Voxalot using your Gizmo Project account), even though it does use the same username and password data, it appears to follow the same old Call Out rules as before and list your outbound call as 1747etc. on the called person's caller ID.
That's certainly true for calls placed through Call Out to a new number. What I mean by "new" is a number that you haven't already called through Gizmo Call.

However, once you have called any given number through Gizmo Call, a relationship is established between your Gizmo account, that number you called, and the Caller ID that Gizmo Call picked for that pair. Once that assignment takes place, it may be that this Caller ID will be properly displayed when calling that same number.

I do know that that prior to this new feature rollout, Caller ID was already working independently of interface. If you purchased the Caller ID feature in Gizmo Call, it applied to Call Out from all other interfaces (softphone, ATA, etc.) registered to the same account. Not just Gizmo Call.
jfinlayson is offline   Reply With Quote