Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 11-09-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
MrHatken

MrHatken is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Voxalot please ...

Howdy All,

Thanks a lot for a great service.

I am new to Voxalot and relatively new to VoIP (although I have a technical computing background and I have my SPA 3K up and running fine now with a number of gateways for different service providers etc.)

I have two DIDs, one local to my home location and one remote in another country.

I have registered my ATA with the local service provider and when someone calls the local DID my ATA phone rings.

I have registered my ATA with the remote service provider and when someone calls the remote DID my ATA phone rings.

I would now like to have both of these DIDs make my ATA phone ring and I believe Voxalot can help me do that.

I added both of the accounts as active providers within Voxalot.

I set the remote account to register from Voxalot and it did successfully (after the normal wait). I assumed I would need to do this so that it can receive calls made to the remote DID.

I setup a default forward rule to my sip address for the local service provider and my ATA is registered with the local service provider so that it should ring when it received as voip call (e.g. from the remote DID).

Unfortunately, it does not ring. The phone goes quiet after dialling the remote DID (directly on the PSTN line) and then I get a message saying something like the "network does not support that service"

Of course, I can't tell who that message is from (it would be a good thing if providers identified themselves before giving messages etc.). My general question is: Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this?

I read somewhere that some service providers don't accept *voip* connections without being registered. Is that true? Will it help if I register the local serivce provider in Voxalot (as well as with my ATA)?

Further, the local DID service provider has a different sip proxy and outbound proxy. Which should I use in the sip default forwarding rule in Voxalot? I believe I tried both but neither worked.

An alternative I see is to register my ATA with Voxalot and then register both the DID service providers from the Voxalot providers section. Is it possible to do what I require in this way?

I am just unsure then how I indicate that when there are incoming calls from either of these providers the ATA registered with Voxalot should ring? Will it happen automatically or do I need a default forward to Voxalot?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers.

Cheers,
Ashley.

--
Ashley Aitken
Perth, Western Australia
mrhatken at mac dot com email
MrHatken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Ashley,

I don't quite follow how you're trying to set things up there, but I got worried when I read the part about making a forwarding entry somewhere. The setup should be relatively simple:

Set up Provider entries on VoXaLot for the service providers where you have DID's. Enable SIP Registration and allow VoXaLot to register with them. Have your ATA register with VoXaLot on the account where you just set up the Provider entries. Incoming calls from either DID should ring the phone connected to your ATA. If these service providers also support outbound calling, a couple of Dial Plan entries will allow you to call out as desired.

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
MrHatken

Default Thanks a Lot!

Hi Ron (et al.),

Thanks for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post

I don't quite follow how you're trying to set things up there, but I got worried when I read the part about making a forwarding entry somewhere. The setup should be relatively simple ....
Yes sorry, in my attempt to try to make things clear I ended up making it more confusing. I've set it up as you said and it "just works."

I guess it wasn't clear to me that this is how things would work (if I registered my ATA to Voxalot I would receive calls from registered providers).

Also the ability to forward incoming calls confused me somewhat. Is this exclusive of a registered ATA receiving those calls (or will both ring)?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Ashley.
Unread 11-11-2006, 02:11 AM   #4
Ron

Ron will become famous soon enough

Ashley,

To fully grasp the power of VoXaLot, you have to think of it in a couple of different ways.

From the perspective of your ATA, VoXaLot is a VoIP provider. Your ATA registers with VoXaLot and interacts with it the same way it would with any VoIP provider. With absolutely no providers or dial plans set up on VoXaLot, you can call other VoIP users on VoXaLot, other VoIP users who are registered with ENUM, and other VoIP users on networks (providers) which allow access via Sip Broker.

From the perspective of your VoIP providers, VoXaLot is a virtual ATA. Using the information you supply in Provider entries, VoXalot registers on your behalf with your VoIP providers in order to accept incoming calls from those providers. These incoming calls are relayed to your ATA and telephone. Dial Plan entries allow you selectively make outgoing calls via the desired VoIP provider. If your VoIP provider supports SIP URI forwarding of your incoming calls, you can point those calls to SIP:xxxxxx@voxalot.com (where xxxxxx is your 6-digit VoXaLot number). In this case, you may not need to have VoXaLot register with your provider (some providers do require registration to make outgoing calls).

The forwarding feature of VoXaLot is probably the least useful. It would allow you to redirect your incoming calls to a different destination (a VoIP provider which allows incoming forwarding of SIP calls, for example). You do not need to set up any forwarding entries on VoXaLot for normal operation.

The most important aspect to making VoXaLot work (especially in the beginning) is to keep everything extremely simple. Get the basics (echo and voicemail) working before adding any Provider or Dial Plan entries. Then add a single provider and get one or two dial plan entries working with it. Build it up very slowly, making sure all the previous capabilities work after attempting to add a new one.

Ron
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #5
MrHatken

Thanks a lot Ron.

That would be a great introduction to Voxalot and its setup to put on the front page of voxalot.com or at least somewhere in the configuration setup pages.

I understand now and calls are working well, I just have to work out that voice mail.

Cheers,
Ashley.
Unread 11-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Yes, I agree, it is a great little summary of excellent value.
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #7

441516 is on a distinguished road

RON, you have summed it up very well! Well done. I think your summary is worth putting on Voxalot home page to give basic understaning of how voxalot works.
441516 is offline   Reply With Quote