Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot General

Voxalot General Voxalot discussion, tips, tricks and suggestions. Talk about them here.

 
 
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
hddlab
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 50
Thanks: 44
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
hddlab is on a distinguished road
Default Help with 2 Voxalot features

Hi all, Im new here so if Im doing something wrong just tell me.
I would like to as ask you guys 2 things, that is not clear in my mind and both are about what I can do with Voxalot.

1-You can get more free calls via ENUM

This means that I will be able to do call or to receive call?
I really would like to have more informations about this matter and if there is an complex answer in some place I will be happy to have the place and to read about.

2-You can set up local Dial In numbers anywhere in the world to ring your Voxalot phone number

This means that if I have a brother in another state ( different then mine) I will be able to setup his phone number and my brother that does not have internt and live in country will be able to call my Voxalot number and that he will pay a local call?
or is something different?

Thank you very much for your time antention and help in advance.
Best regards
Jose Pinto
hddlab_at_uol_dot_com
hddlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
emoci
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,422
Thanks: 123
Thanked 369 Times in 282 Posts
emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddlab View Post
Hi all, Im new here so if Im doing something wrong just tell me.
I would like to as ask you guys 2 things, that is not clear in my mind and both are about what I can do with Voxalot.

1-You can get more free calls via ENUM

This means that I will be able to do call or to receive call?
I really would like to have more informations about this matter and if there is an complex answer in some place I will be happy to have the place and to read about.
ENum works by having a registry like e164.org..... When one registers there, you have the option of entering your regular Phone Number and linking it to a SIP URI (a VoIP address). So now there is a database, something like a phonebook that tells you VoIP addreses associated with regular Phone Numbers. You pay to call the numbers, but calling the VoIP addresses is free.

People that call your number from regular networks will continue to ring your phone normally and pay for the call as they always have.

Now here comes the tricky part, when someone calls your number, if the provider they are using tomake the call checks ENum before placing the calls via regular routes, they'll be routed to your SIP URI automatically.

Because at this point, the call is completely over the internet, it is free for the caller and the receiver.

However for ENum to work, users like you and me need to register and link their Phones to a SIP URI, and providers need to do ENum lookups. VoXalot is one of the providers that has the option to automatically check 4-5 ENum registries for you automatically (including 164.org and e164.arpa). Many providers however do not yet support ENum lookups (one issue being that they make no profit from free calls)....

There is one other issue to consider, if the callers provider does support ENum, and the receiver has registered, the call will be free, but it means it will ring on your ATA for free, not on the actual phone. What currently needs to be worked out is a way to convey to the provider doing the checkup on ENum that when someone is not answering over VoIP to aumatically try the regular route, but the regular route will not be free, and the provider of the caller needs to notify the caller of the changeover from a free call via ENum to a regular paid call over regualr routes...

Another option users have now, is to set it up so that if they don't answer over VoIP, they can forward the call via a paid calling provider to their phone, this of course means that although the call is free for the caller, the receiver pays if he wants to receive the call on his phone when away from yoru VoIP ATA...


Quote:
2-You can set up local Dial In numbers anywhere in the world to ring your Voxalot phone number

This means that if I have a brother in another state ( different then mine) I will be able to setup his phone number and my brother that does not have internt and live in country will be able to call my Voxalot number and that he will pay a local call?
or is something different?
This is a much easier answer..... For someone to call you form a regular phone (no internet required) there are 2 options:

1. Find a SipBroker access number that's local to your caller (SIPBroker - PSTN Numbers). After calling the local number, when asked by SipBroker your caller should enter your number/extension which is *010-[Your 6 Digit VoXalot Number]

That's all, your VoIP line should ring, you can talk

2. If you wanted to make it easier (so there is no need to enter an extension after calling the number), or if there is no local access number for the area where your caller lives, or if you just want you VoIP line to function like a normal phone line where people call a number and your phone rings:

You need to get a DID number from a provider that offers DIDs (which provider you should use depends on whether they have numbers for the area you want)

To get that DID number to ring your VoXalot account you have two options:
1. If the provider let's you forward call to your DID number to a SIP URI, then all you need to do is forward calls to 123456@voxalot.com (where 123456 is your VoXalot number)
2. If the provider doesn't offer this feature, you can still get the DID to ring VoXalot, but you'll need a premium VoXalot account, so that you can SIP Register with the DID provider from VoXalot

Hope that gets you started, keep in mind that the best way to understand some the stuff is to actually try it.....
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emoci For This Useful Post:
All4Fun (07-28-2009)
Unread 03-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
hddlab
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 50
Thanks: 44
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
hddlab is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi emoci,
Thank you very much for both answers, I understand what they mean now.
I will try as Im doing everyday, services are all new so is hard to know what we really can do.
Problem is that my brother lives in country (real country) and there is no free PSTN phone there.
So I need to figure out what I can do, also there is no Internt where he lives.
But, thank you with this information I can see things more clear and maybe I can find a way to let the calling more cheap, maybe I can sign a Betamax service for him and he will be able to do a callback using a normal fone there.

Best regards
Jose Pinto
hddlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #4
325xi
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 79
Thanks: 12
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
325xi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Another option users have now, is to set it up so that if they don't answer over VoIP, they can forward the call via a paid calling provider to their phone, this of course means that although the call is free for the caller, the receiver pays if he wants to receive the call on his phone when away from yoru VoIP ATA...
How? Does Voxalot have forward-no-answer feature?
My ATA registered in Voxalot, and I use Acanac for in/out North American calls...
325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
emoci
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,422
Thanks: 123
Thanked 369 Times in 282 Posts
emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi View Post
How? Does Voxalot have forward-no-answer feature?
My ATA registered in Voxalot, and I use Acanac for in/out North American calls...
No, VoXalot does not support Forward on No Answer, currently you'd have to manually turn forwarding on when leaving....

On a sidenote though, check the Acanac Settings page, I believe they do include a simultaneous and delayed call feature that should let you continue to receive calls in VoXalot, while forwarding elsewhere as well

I have one of those promotional accounts they gave out, I just haven't gotten around to testing things yet
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
All4Fun
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
All4Fun is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
There is one other issue to consider, if the callers provider does support ENum, and the receiver has registered, the call will be free, but it means it will ring on your ATA for free, not on the actual phone. What currently needs to be worked out is a way to convey to the provider doing the checkup on ENum that when someone is not answering over VoIP to aumatically try the regular route, but the regular route will not be free, and the provider of the caller needs to notify the caller of the changeover from a free call via ENum to a regular paid call over regualr routes...

Another option users have now, is to set it up so that if they don't answer over VoIP, they can forward the call via a paid calling provider to their phone, this of course means that although the call is free for the caller, the receiver pays if he wants to receive the call on his phone when away from yoru VoIP ATA...
emoci or anybody, can you help me understand this statement? If I have my analog phone connected to my PAP2, does this statement mean that my analog phone won't ring literally?
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
emoci
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,422
Thanks: 123
Thanked 369 Times in 282 Posts
emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
emoci or anybody, can you help me understand this statement? If I have my analog phone connected to my PAP2, does this statement mean that my analog phone won't ring literally?
The best way to illustrate what I meant is with this example:

-I have a cellphone with number 14162223333
-I add the number 14162223333 to the E164 database
-I tell E164.org that whenever someone looks up the database for the number the associated SIP URI is 123456@voxalot.com
-Someone calls 14162223333 using a provider with ENUM support, as a result the line that will ring is my Voip line (the one configured with VoXalot), but my cellphone won't ring in this scenario

For some people this aspect of ENUM, the idea that a call meant for the cellphone will ring the Voip line but not the cell itself is new...

Surely you can make arrangements that when you're not close to your Voip line ... to have that line forward calls to the cell (but then you'll pay for the forwarding)

I hope that's a bit clearer...
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
All4Fun
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
All4Fun is on a distinguished road
Default

It does make things clearer but I'm thinking that folks using ENUM would only register numbers that can be reached by a VOIP line. Unless I'm missing something, using your example, what would be the value of registering your cell number in the ENUM database if you can't be reached on it?

Thinking about my scenario, I've disconnected the demarc outside of my house and running VOIP through the wires in my house. All of my phones ring when a VOIP call comes in. If I understand your example, all of my phones would continue to ring assuming that I've registered my home DID in the ENUM database. Correct?

Should I feel comfortable registering my home number out in the cloud? Are there any security/spam/telemarketer concerns I should have?
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
emoci
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,422
Thanks: 123
Thanked 369 Times in 282 Posts
emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
It does make things clearer but I'm thinking that folks using ENUM would only register numbers that can be reached by a VOIP line. Unless I'm missing something, using your example, what would be the value of registering your cell number in the ENUM database if you can't be reached on it?

Thinking about my scenario, I've disconnected the demarc outside of my house and running VOIP through the wires in my house. All of my phones ring when a VOIP call comes in. If I understand your example, all of my phones would continue to ring assuming that I've registered my home DID in the ENUM database. Correct?

Should I feel comfortable registering my home number out in the cloud? Are there any security/spam/telemarketer concerns I should have?
In that scenario everything will continue to work the same as it is now, except that some people doing ENUM lookups can call you for free

Remember to keep your E164 entry up-to-date if anything changes with your SIP URI...

Also if you decide to do anything fancy down the road (eg. say you upgrade to a premium acct., register your DID as a Trunk/provider in VoXalot, and decide to do Call Forwarding based on the trunk ... ENUM calls will continue to ring just to your SIP URI and may not be forwarded accordingly to the rules you set up....)

The reason for the example above is that there has been some examples of people registering Landlines or Mobiles and then being caught by surprise when only the Voip line rings (by Voip line I mean all the telephones attached/connected to a Voip device).
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emoci For This Useful Post:
hddlab (09-13-2009)
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
goondu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
goondu is on a distinguished road
Default

I am new to VOIP, and would like to clarify my understanding on enum and other voxalot features:

a. For enum:
I had registered my PSTN number (yyyyy) with xxxxx@voxalot.com (xxxxx is my userid, and can be reached with a softphone) with e164.org.

2.For normal standard call to yyyyy from a phone (without ATA), this standard call is only handled by the existing telephone network, is it correct? And standard phone charges applies.

3.For normal standard call to yyyyy from a phone (with ATA configured to Voxalot), this standard call will through Voxalot seeking for yyyyy corresponding SIP address in e164.org, and if found, Voxalot will route this call as VOIP. And this call becomes free.

4.If most of my friends have no ATA and my home country has no local address number, my friends will still be charged for making the calls (for they will probably will simply just pick up the phone and call, even though I had registered my phone number with e164.org)?

5. If my friends call me via the internet via a softphone (example X-Lite), if he dial (*010xxxxx), he will not be charged (if he is a member of any voice service providers who are members of sipbroker.com). Can my friends call me with my regular phone number (00zzwwwwwwww) on their softphone, and the call routed via VOIP and thus no charge?

6. I had tried calling (00zzwwwwwwww) on my softphone, however it didn't transfer the call to my sip id *010xxxxx, and my real mobile phone always ring.

7. Possible that the DNS for ENUM MAPPING need more time to propogate my ENUM, (I had successfully registered in e164.org about 6hours ago)?


For SMART CALL:
1. How can I configure such that if my xxxxx@voxalot.com was offline, the call will be routed to my standard phone?

2. I had registered AAAAAAAA as one of my VOICE SERVICE PROVIDER, in adding new smart call, there are additional options, VOXALOT and SIPBROKER, how different my call will be if I select VOXALOT or SIPBROKER to handle my call?

3. How VOXALOT can help me to make Smart Calls (balancing call quality and costs)? If I had registered AAAA and BBBB as my registered VOICE SERVICE PROVIDER, VOXALOT has had internal logic to help me to decide if my call should be better handled by AAAA or BBBB? (Thats if I select VOXALOT or SIPBROKER to hander my call under the SMART CALL?)


CALL CONNECTION RULES LIST:
a. If my priority 1 is transfer all calls to voice box during 0800h to 1900h.
b. And my priority 2 is transfer all calls to my VOXALOT NUMBER during 0800h to 2100h.
c. If someone call me on 1200h, he will be transferred to my VOICE BOX.
d. If someone call me on 2000h, he will be transfer to my VOXALOT NUMBER?
e. If someone call me on 2300h, where the call be transferred to?

DISPLAY NAME:
a. DISPLAY NAME can only be shown on SOFTPHONE?
b. DISPLAY NAME (or CALLERID) can never be able to shown on normal PHONE (even if the call was routed via VOIP).
c. Possible to set CONNECTION RULES using DISPLAY NAME (in VOXALOT)?


TRANSFER CALL CHARGES BY VOICE SERVICE PROVIDER:
a. All VOICE SERVICE PROVIDERS charge 0 cents if the CALLS was routed to another SIP DEVICE (non landmine lines)?
b. If a VOICE SERVICE PROVIDER ZZZ was not a member in SIPBROKER, can ZZZ transfer his call to a member of SIPBROKER?


Thanks in advance, please excuse me if I my questions look 'commonsense' to many.
goondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voxalot and Sipura/ATA Tutorial: A Comprehensive Walkthrough ctylor Voxalot General 5 04-28-2010 12:52 AM
VoXaLot not working with PBXes (VoXaLot as an extension of PBXes) wilsonhlacerda Voxalot Support 31 12-09-2007 02:30 PM
Any new features on Voxalot comming soon ? shezad Voxalot Support 7 11-05-2007 07:24 AM
Provider Registrations and Call Forwarding - is VoXaLot support really needed? v164 Voxalot Support 2 07-07-2007 05:25 AM
Newbie - but please be nice Mallycat Voxalot Support 21 04-15-2006 07:50 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.