Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's

Voxalot Tips, Tricks & HowTo's Tips and Tricks for Voxalot

Unread 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #121
AlexErko

AlexErko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipac View Post
Not true. I use VOIP on Three's x-series service everyday with no voice issues on both sides. AlexErko's speed limitation is due to the mobile phone model that he's got not Three.

In fact, x-series provides minimum 1000 minutes of free skype-to-skype calls in the package.
However, I don't use Three's X-Series service; I use a Three 1GB per month data plan. Also, I would be very surprised if my Nokia E70 were not capable of more than 56kbps upload speed.
AlexErko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #122
dipac

dipac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinity View Post
It was correctly pointed out that lower level bandwidths work fine...
I agree with your statement but wanted to add another data point. My VOIP setup (0n HSDPA enabled mobile phone) uses G711u as the preferred CODEC and voice both ways is excellent. Hence, bandwidth hungry CODECS (viz. 711u/a) also work on Three i.e. not a Three upload bandwidth issue.

Quote:
So, yes, you can use 3 for VoIP, provided you use the right CODEC or the proprietory Skype software.
Agreed, however, right CODEC is hardware specific not Carrier specific.
dipac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #123
dipac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexErko View Post
However, I don't use Three's X-Series service; I use a Three 1GB per month data plan. Also, I would be very surprised if my Nokia E70 were not capable of more than 56kbps upload speed.
x-series and mobile broadband are delivered over the same network so there shouldn't be a difference in performance.

Your mobile is a 3GPP Release 99 compatible phone see detail below (source - wikipedia):

Release '99
Bearer services
64 kbit/s circuit switched
384 kbit/s packet switched
Location services
Call services: GSM-compatible, USIM-based

So if you're on a circuit switched network 56k is not too far out - hypothetically speaking - Please confirm network type with Three

Note that even if you're on a packet switched network the specs are theoretical and probably downlink. These networks are usually asymetric -even HSDPA is.

If you have one of those data cards you can check what uploads you get. If better, then Phone's the problem.

Another thing is your reception quality. You get best data performance with very good quality and stable reception. When your signal bar is all over the place, performance suffers severely.

Last edited by dipac; 07-21-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Unread 07-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #124
AlexErko

Well, the exact results of the last speed test that I did with my phone were 372kbps download and 58kbps upload (see: http://www.speedtest.net/result/156935347.png ).

So people, draw your own conclusions about whether or not my phone or the network is the cause of the low upload speed.
Unread 07-21-2007, 11:56 PM   #125
dipac

And here's mine (N95 in Adelaide)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/158316077.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/158316733.png

Two tests just to verify that the first wasn't erroneous.

Mind you, N95 is HSDPA enabled.
Unread 07-22-2007, 12:57 AM   #126
AlexErko

Its my understanding that Three Australia had the choice of enabling 384/64 or 384/128 over its 3G network for regular UMTS (ie non-HSPDA) connections. Its clear that 384/128 is not enabled, and that 384/64 is enabled.

As any connection would very, very, rarely consistently work at its full 64kpbs theoretical speed, using the G.711 codecs over Three Australia with a non-HSDPA device will result in rubbish calls, as those codecs need the full 64kbps to work properly.
Unread 07-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #127
affinity

affinity will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipac View Post
Mind you, N95 is HSDPA enabled.
I would like one of those phones..... so Three hasn't knobbled it's use in any way then?

I have 2x Three mobiles on a business plan [mine and my wife's], but we never use anywhere near our included call credits. I have my reasons for keeping Three at this time, but that can change easily and quickly -- overall Three has been quite a bad company for me; I won't bore you with all the details, but it is quite extensive, they are lucky to still have us on their books now.....
affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #128
dipac

Quote:
... so Three hasn't knobbled it's use in any way then?
Not to my knowledge but then again i bought the N95 outright from Dick Smith when i was with Vodafone.

I only moved to Three because of their x-series.
Unread 07-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #129
juancarlos

juancarlos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexErko View Post
As Martin is busy with other matters for the time being, I have asked Nokia service to send me some changes to the Nokia VoIP client to enable the CRLF keep-alive packets as described in Chapter 6, ‘NAT/FW traversal settings’, in Nokia S60 VoIP Implementation Configuration Tutorial [2] Resource information: Nokia S60 VoIP Implementation Configuration Tutorial v1.1 as that appears to be the solution to the problem of calls not getting through to me, as described in point 2.5.1 of the Nokia S60 VoIP Implementation Troubleshooting Guide http://sw.nokia.com/id/bcbcc0ac-6230...de_v1_0_en.pdf

I have also asked them to send me the changes required to disable all codecs except G.729, in order to save on bandwidth.

Lets see if Nokia can deliver ..........
Does anyone know if the E61i suffers from this too ? too expensive phone just to find out I can not receive calls.
juancarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 02:30 AM   #130
dipac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarlos View Post
Does anyone know if the E61i suffers from this too ? too expensive phone just to find out I can not receive calls.
From the specs of your phone, it isn't too different from the E70 so behaviour should be similar.

AlexErko has been able to get incoming working (http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...html#post10697) with voxalot but needs to fix his Codec to g729. In your case i imagine you would be in a similar situation.

If this is really important to you, then you have 2 options... either wait for Martin (send him a PM) or follow the instructions in the post below. The post also includes a link to a configuration file is used to provision my N95.

Board Message

The only changes you need to make to the configuration are:
1. Your voxalot credentials
2. In the Codec area of the xml file you need to set the PRIORITYINDEX value of every codec to "0" except g729 that you need to set to "1"

Last edited by dipac; 07-25-2007 at 02:40 AM.