Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-16-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
sipaway

sipaway is on a distinguished road
Default CID w/ Voxalot Question

If I forward my PSTN incoming calls to my Voxalot number, will the CID of the original calling party show up? If there is some special configuration required to make that work, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
sipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipaway View Post
If I forward my PSTN incoming calls to my Voxalot number, will the CID of the original calling party show up? If there is some special configuration required to make that work, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Depends on how you are forwarding, but in general there should be no issues, here is what I've tried:

CellPhone set to Forward on Unavailable>>DID Number provided by VBuzzer>>VoXalot Account

Keep in mind that there is two hurdless here, one the forwarding from PSTN to a DID number, two, the way the DID is set to ring VoXalot
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
sipaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoci View Post
Depends on how you are forwarding, but in general there should be no issues, here is what I've tried:

CellPhone set to Forward on Unavailable>>DID Number provided by VBuzzer>>VoXalot Account

Keep in mind that there is two hurdless here, one the forwarding from PSTN to a DID number, two, the way the DID is set to ring VoXalot
In this case, I am using my ATA to unconditionally call forward all incoming PSTN calls to my Voxalot Basic service account number on my FXO port. I use my Voxalot Premium account for outgoing calls on my FXS port. I was hoping that the caller's number would pass through Voxalot, but it does not. Instead, I see the Voxalot Basic assigned number as the CID. Is there any way around this??
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
In this case, I am using my ATA to unconditionally call forward all incoming PSTN calls to my Voxalot Basic service account number on my FXO port. I use my Voxalot Premium account for outgoing calls on my FXS port. I was hoping that the caller's number would pass through Voxalot, but it does not. Instead, I see the Voxalot Basic assigned number as the CID. Is there any way around this??
I am assuming you are talking about a SPA 3000/3102IN which case I would suggest enabling the PSTN to VoIP method by enabling PSTN Ring Through under the PSTN tab...(rather than Forwarding.....)

Having never used a SPA 3000, my knowledge is limited, but this may help SPA-3000 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This thread is not directly related to your issue, but may help with certain aspects http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...voicemail.html
Unread 03-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
sipaway

Wink PSTN-to-VoIP forward through ATA - CID Issue

Quote:
I am assuming you are talking about a SPA 3000/3102IN which case I would suggest enabling the PSTN to VoIP method by enabling PSTN Ring Through under the PSTN tab...(rather than Forwarding.....)

Having never used a SPA 3000, my knowledge is limited, but this may help SPA-3000 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This thread is not directly related to your issue, but may help with certain aspects http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...voicemail.html
Thank you for the links. I am not using the SPA 3000. Instead, I am using the GS HT503. There is a PSTN to FXS port pass-through option, which would work just fine for the same purposes. However, my thought was that I could avoid paying Telus for CID, by forwarding PSTN incoming calls through one of my VSPs services with the CID feature for free. It seems, instead, that if I forward to a SIP URI for any of these VSP services, the number that shows up on Call Display is either my PSTN assigned number or the number assigned to the VSP service, and not the actual CID of the original caller through the PSTN line.

If you have any ideas for passing on CID from the PSTN for free, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Unread 03-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
emoci

Quote:
Thank you for the links. I am not using the SPA 3000. Instead, I am using the GS HT503. There is a PSTN to FXS port pass-through option, which would work just fine for the same purposes. However, my thought was that I could avoid paying Telus for CID, by forwarding PSTN incoming calls through one of my VSPs services with the CID feature for free. It seems, instead, that if I forward to a SIP URI for any of these VSP services, the number that shows up on Call Display is either my PSTN assigned number or the number assigned to the VSP service, and not the actual CID of the original caller through the PSTN line.

If you have any ideas for passing on CID from the PSTN for free, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Hehe, I see your point now, unfortunately that wont work because telus isn't sending that info at all to your end....your ATA or VoXalot cannot figure it out because the info isn't being sent along

There is one way, but still means you'll be paying Telus Money for one thing or another.....either conditional Call Forwarding directly from Telus (where you press a *xx followed by number combo to forward all Calls to another number....if this other number is aDID linked to VoXalot, CID will come through....but whether this is cheaper that just ordering CID is questionable)

If Telus still offers Call Forward on Busy that would too let you receive CID on the end to which calls are forwarded....it would be kinda backwards since you'll have to leave the phone off hook and receive all the calls on the VoIP line, but CID will come through (Bell is still only charging me $1.30/month for CF on Busy I think, but it's from the old days of Dialup and not sure if you can still order it, worth a try)
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
sipaway

Thumbs up Thanks for the solution...

Quote:
Hehe, I see your point now, unfortunately that wont work because telus isn't sending that info at all to your end....your ATA or VoXalot cannot figure it out because the info isn't being sent along

There is one way, but still means you'll be paying Telus Money for one thing or another.....either conditional Call Forwarding directly from Telus (where you press a *xx followed by number combo to forward all Calls to another number....if this other number is aDID linked to VoXalot, CID will come through....but whether this is cheaper that just ordering CID is questionable)

If Telus still offers Call Forward on Busy that would too let you receive CID on the end to which calls are forwarded....it would be kinda backwards since you'll have to leave the phone off hook and receive all the calls on the VoIP line, but CID will come through (Bell is still only charging me $1.30/month for CF on Busy I think, but it's from the old days of Dialup and not sure if you can still order it, worth a try)
Thanks for the info. I called Telus, and of course they only offer fixed or conditional CFWD, for the same price of $4.95/mo. However, that's still less expensive than paying $12./mo for CID & CW on my PSTN line (as CW, CID, and CFWD are free with the VSPs service).

Tested out forwarding my landline to my DIDWW number which is currently routed to Callcentric, and the call came in with the CID of the number I was calling from (through my Voxalot "registration" w/ Callcentric, of course!)...voila!

Cheers.
Unread 03-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
emoci

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I called Telus, and of course they only offer fixed or conditional CFWD, for the same price of $4.95/mo. However, that's still less expensive than paying $12./mo for CID & CW on my PSTN line (as CW, CID, and CFWD are free with the VSPs service).

Tested out forwarding my landline to my DIDWW number which is currently routed to Callcentric, and the call came in with the CID of the number I was calling from (through my Voxalot "registration" w/ Callcentric, of course!)...voila!

Cheers.
Glad it worked....
You'll also want to make sure that the Call Waiting feature works when calls are coming in via forwarding from the landline number