Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 11-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
belchie

belchie is on a distinguished road
Default Router stopping service?

I am so impressed with this service, running Poivy through Voxalot on my Nokia E61 for the first time today. It worked perfectly all day while I was at work, connecting wirelessly through a Draytek Vigor 2800VG and Cisco 1700 ADSL router.

My problem is I can't get the same results at home. I can register to Voxalot and call 600 successfully, but I have to keep reregistering everytime I try to make a call, and I can dial out but the ring tone continues even after the other end has picked up the call. They get a dead line while I get continuous ringing and the call shows up on my Poivy account. Then the E61 won't respond to the hang up button and I have to power it off to hang up. I'm using a Draytek Vigor 2600plus and Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4 here. I'm guesing that something Poivy related isn't getting through the router.

Can anyone please let me know if they have an ideas about how I can fix this problem?

Last edited by belchie; 11-06-2006 at 08:44 PM. Reason: More info
belchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 03:03 AM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchie View Post
I am so impressed with this service, running Poivy through Voxalot on my Nokia E61 for the first time today. It worked perfectly all day while I was at work, connecting wirelessly through a Draytek Vigor 2800VG and Cisco 1700 ADSL router.

My problem is I can't get the same results at home. I can register to Voxalot and call 600 successfully, but I have to keep reregistering everytime I try to make a call, and I can dial out but the ring tone continues even after the other end has picked up the call.
This sounds like an interaction between your VoIP adapter and your router. Apparently the network with the Cisco router is providing what your VoIP adapter needs (given your VoIP adapter's current setup), but the home network (with a home/NAT router?) is failing to give the same sort of setup to the VoIP adapter. Sadly, this is a VERY COMMON problem with VoIP with ANY VOIP PROVIDER (not just Voxalot). And 99% of the time, the problem is on your end (and when it isn't on your end, it's usually a problem with your ISP). That's "the bad news". "The good news" is that this can usually be fixed, if/when you find the needed settings on your VoIP adapter and/or your router.

Here are some things you might try looking for:

1) Are you on private IP addresses (i.e. behind a home/NAT router) at home? Were you on private IPs/NAT with the Cisco? If the place where it works uses full/routable IP addresses, and your home doesn't, than the problem is likely with your VoIP adapter's settings for dealing with "NAT". Because unlike many protocols, you need to configure a VoIP differently when it's behind a NAT router than you do when it is on public IP space!

2) Do you have a home router? If not, does your "modem" provide private IPs? If so, is there anyway you can get your router (or modem) to send you logs as to what traffic it's "blocking"? A very common problem on home networks, is that the VoIP traffic is (incorrectly) seen as "an attack" by the home router/firewall (and thereby the voice packets get blocked at the router). If you can verify if this is happening, you should be able to modify your firewall settings to "forward" the ports the VoIP adapter needs. Doing so, will often restore the failed voice path...

But beyond those general suggestions, we would really need MUCH more info (otherwise our suggestions would be "flying blind" as it were). For example, could you post ALL config pages of both your VoIP adapter AND your home router (except for any passwords you want to keep hidden)? Doing so will give us a much better idea as to how things are setup on your end, and that might give some of us a clue as to what settings might be helpful to change.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote