Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
snvv

snvv is on a distinguished road
Default Provider selection & caller ID

Hello
I just opened a voxalot account and configured voipdiscount & nonoh.
I can call but I have three questions:

1st. How can manually select a provider (i.e to call #10030210xxxxxx and the call go from nonoh and #20030210xxxxxx uses voipdiscount)

2nd. No matter what I did I was not able to sent the caller ID.

3nd. The FUP is solved (I have read about this in the forum).

Thank you
sn
snvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snvv View Post
1st. How can manually select a provider (i.e to call #10030210xxxxxx and the call go from nonoh and #20030210xxxxxx uses voipdiscount)
Your VoXaLot account has options for "Smart Call (Dial Plans)". Choose that option and configure the call routing as you see fit. You can get as fancy as you like here (just using a specific provider when you see a specific prefix is pretty trivial, fancier routing is quite possible from "Smart Call"). Then, once you think you have "Smart Call (Dial Plans)" configured as you like, you can use the option "Dial Plan Test", to verify if your setup was done as you want it to be.

Of course, once VoXaLot is routing the calls as you desire, it's simply a matter of setting up your VoIP adapter (likely it's "dial plan") to route all calls to VoXaLot, and let VoXaLot sort it out for you.

NOTE: If you have a LinkSys model VoIP adapter, you may not be able to use the #-key for this, because of how LinkSys model adapters treat the #-key specially. However, all 10 digits are available for routing decisions, as is the *-key.
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
snvv

Thank you DracoFelis
Yes I have a linksys ATA. I manage to select various providers using 1, 2 etc in front of the number. So, this is exactly what i was asking for.

Some times it shows caller ID, but not always and never in mobile. Directly from my ATA it shows number only in mobile.

Quality is about 20% worst than using the provider directly in ATA. Is that normal?

Thank you
sn
Unread 10-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
DracoFelis

DracoFelis is a jewel in the roughDracoFelis is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Quality is about 20% worst than using the provider directly in ATA. Is that normal?
That's clearly a YMMV thing, as it depends upon a lot of factors.

However, by default VoXaLot inserts itself in the call path between you and your provider. So the call path is longer (because it has to relay via VoXaLot) and this extra "latency" can sometimes (but not always) result in a little lower quality connection.

Another thing that can lower the quality of the connection, is using a different CODEC (voice transmission algorithm) between you and VoXaLot and VoXaLot and your provider. For example, if you use G711u to connect to VoXaLot, but then use G729 as the first/default CODEC for your provider in VoXaLot, then VoXaLot will be constantly converting between the two (what is known as "transcoding") during your phone call. And transcoding always seems to result in lower quality audio. So, if possible, using the same CODEC for your connection with VoXaLot and VoXaLot's connection to your provider(s) is likely to give better audio.

And make sure you are connecting to the proper VoXaLot server (the one with the lowest latency to you and your providers). For example, if you are in the USA, be sure your VoIP adapter is using "us.voxalot.com" vs one of the other VoXaLot proxies (or "au.voxalot.com" if you are in Australia, etc). Because while any of the servers will work, using the server closest (on the internet), to you and your providers, will generally result in the fewest (internet related) distortions of the sound.

Finally, in some cases it is possible for VoXaLot to get out of the way and leave the final connection directly between you and your provider (after VoXaLot does all the setup). This option is NOT on "by default", as it has the risk of blocking the audio if everything isn't setup just right. However, this option can (when it works) improve audio quality (by lowering latency and possibly jitter). So if you want to experiment with this option, follow the instructions here:
HowTo: 6 Steps To Optimize Your Audio - Voxalot FAQ
DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
snvv

Thank you a lot DracoFelis

The quality issue is solved.
It was a bad codecs negotiation, but to be safe I enabled NAT too.

Caller ID works for fixed lines but not for mobiles.

Regards
sn
Unread 10-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
addo62

addo62 is on a distinguished road

[Caller ID works for fixed lines but not for mobiles.

I have the opposite issue in that Caller ID works to mobiles but not to landlines?

Can anyone assist on this?
addo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
craig

craig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the roughcraig is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Caller ID works for fixed lines but not for mobiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addo62 View Post
I have the opposite issue in that Caller ID works to mobiles but not to landlines?
Just out of curiosity, do you have different providers for mobiles vs fixed lines?

--
Craig
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
addo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have different providers for mobiles vs fixed lines?

--
Craig
Yes I do utilize several providers for different calling patterns, but I have tried it with the same provider for mobile & fixed line with the same result.
Unread 10-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
addo62

Did some isolation testing & it is not a Voxalot issue as I thought, seems to be something to do with my Billion router..