Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 01-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
jdaskew

jdaskew is on a distinguished road
Default Technical question re: incoming calls & Asterisk

I set up a new Asterisk system (PBX in a Flash) and am having some difficulty connecting via Voxalot. I suspect that I'm missing something and hope that someone has some advice or insight.

My system is currently registering to us.voxalot.com. Asterisk uses SRV records, so the registration ends up going to one of the proxies listed at _sip._udp.us.voxalot.com (there are four proxies listed). Looks like a round robin DNS, so the registration tends to move around throughout the day.

When calls come in, it seems that it can come from any of the four proxies - not necessarily the one I am currently registered to. If the call happens to come from the registered proxy, everything is fine. Asterisk associates the call with voxalot and sends it thorugh. If the call comes from one of the other proxies, Asterisk does not make the association and sends it to the anonymous (from-sip-external) context.

Now Asterisk could remedy this by comparing against all of the SRV records as opposed to just comparing against the currently registered one, but I believe there is another problem...

For any client (not just Asterisk) that is behind a NAT, I would think that incoming INVITES from the other proxies would get dropped. As I understand it, the only proxies that could send an invite would be ones that were recently contacted (for practical purposes, this would be the currently registered proxy).

Please let me know if I'm overlooking something (obvious or otherwise) or if this is a know issue.

Happy New Year!

Edit: I have "Sym NAT" turned on in my account.

Last edited by jdaskew; 01-01-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add'l info
jdaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
jdaskew

I've also tried with Symmetric NAT = No.

Is anyone else having intermittent issues with inbound calling?
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
green

green will become famous soon enough

Check this http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...g-options.html
green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
jdaskew

Thanks Green, I think my issue is similar. It sounds like I'll need to define a peer for each of Voxalot's proxies. I seem to be getting incoming messages from any/all of them, regardless of which one I'm registered to.

proxy02.us1.voxalot.com
proxy01.us1.voxalot.com
proxy01.eu1.voxalot.com
proxy01.au1.voxalot.com
Unread 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
green

green will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaskew View Post
It sounds like I'll need to define a peer for each of Voxalot's proxies.
Alternatively you can setup port forwarding for port 5060/UDP on your NAT device. This will allow you to forget about the keepalives measures. To restore some protection you may need to add IP addresses of your VSPs into your peer definitions using deny/permit statements.
green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
jdaskew

Quote:
Originally Posted by green View Post
Alternatively you can setup port forwarding for port 5060/UDP on your NAT device. This will allow you to forget about the keepalives measures. To restore some protection you may need to add IP addresses of your VSPs into your peer definitions using deny/permit statements.
I actually have port forwarding set up already. The issue I'm having is that Asterisk doesn't recognize the host (because it's different than the one Asterisk registered to). Unrecognized hosts get sent to a "no longer in service" recording.

From what I'm reading, I think this is just a shortcoming in Asterisk's handling of SRV records. IMHO it should (optionally) associate all of the hosts in the SRV record with the trunk and its context.