Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 03-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
rtadavarty

rtadavarty is on a distinguished road
Default registration issues!

I have recently seen that adapters that i configured for my friends with voxalot have some registration issues. i havent bothered to change the time zones in the PAP2s. I guess the zones are different in the voxalot main page for those numbers. could this mismatch be the problem?
rtadavarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadavarty View Post
I have recently seen that adapters that i configured for my friends with voxalot have some registration issues. i havent bothered to change the time zones in the PAP2s. I guess the zones are different in the voxalot main page for those numbers. could this mismatch be the problem?
Time zone mismatch would not have anything to do with this....depending on how far back you set these ATAs up, the only major change I can recall in the last months, is that you now need to specify a proxy as us.voxalot.com, or eu.voxalot.com or au.voxalot.com.....Just voxalot.com will no longer work for registrations....

Another thing to check, is that the proxy you are using in the ATAs matches the cluster specified in the corresponding VoXalot account, when you log in the website

So if your ATA is using us.voxalot.com, your cluster under the member details page should also be us.voxalot.com
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
rtadavarty

thanks for the reply. i configured these ones recently. so the proxy is not an issue. also, the clusters are set invariably to us.voxalot.com. however, i would like to highlight that the problems did start when i tried to set the ATA with a static ip. a) would switching the ip from dynamic to static be a problem? b) voipstunt account on line 2 works fine c) or may be it takes a little while to re-register? (i read the message on the info page as "cannot connect login server")
Unread 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
thanks for the reply. i configured these ones recently. so the proxy is not an issue. also, the clusters are set invariably to us.voxalot.com. however, i would like to highlight that the problems did start when i tried to set the ATA with a static ip. a) would switching the ip from dynamic to static be a problem? b) voipstunt account on line 2 works fine c) or may be it takes a little while to re-register? (i read the message on the info page as "cannot connect login server")
Well, under normal conditions, as long as you truly do have a static IP assigned by your ISP everything should be okay....

However, unless there is a solid reason to define the IP, I would suggest leaving Dynamic On and configuring a STUN server.....

If you have a static IP from your ISP, whether you set it, or have the ATA obtain it dynamically should not make a difference, it is still the same IP (I can see why you may want to set it if you are hooking up the ATA directly to the net without a router though)

Just to be on the safe side take a look at your setup compared to this Setting up Linksys PAP2 - Voxalot FAQ, and see if there is anything strikingly different that may explain what's happening
Unread 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
rtadavarty

the isp gives dynamic addresses. i wanted to have a static ip for the PAP2 which is behind a router. yes, the stun is enabled but i read in some forums that some ports need to portforwarded to ensure trouble free communication. to do this, i assigned static ip to the PAP2 and used the ip address to allow privileges to the adapter (say, qos for instance)

is this story completely wrong? is it that stun itself will set things right and im just being paranoid?
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
emoci

Quote:
the isp gives dynamic addresses. i wanted to have a static ip for the PAP2 which is behind a router. yes, the stun is enabled but i read in some forums that some ports need to portforwarded to ensure trouble free communication. to do this, i assigned static ip to the PAP2 and used the ip address to allow privileges to the adapter (say, qos for instance)

is this story completely wrong? is it that stun itself will set things right and im just being paranoid?
Ok, I see your point, you want a static IP behind your Lan for port forwarding purposes....

1. What router are you using, hopefully there should be options on the router to always assign the same private IP to your PAP2 based on its MAC ID (if you have any of the WRT54G or the like running OpenWRT or DDWRT, the option is definitely there)... this is probably the easier thing to do, then your PAP2 will just get all the info via DHCP

2. Otherwise, ensure that when you assign your PAP2 a static IP, it is within the range you've enabled in the router, and don't forget to fillout the Gateway and Netmask fields as well

3. STUN will make sure your PAP2 knows your outside IP, the dynamic IP given by your ISP whenever it changes

4. Enabling UPnP in the router (provided it's available) can also help with voice issues

When you manage to deal with the IP issues, may want to take a look at this http://forum.voxalot.com/voxalot-sup...html#post14452 regarding port forwarding

Sorry if it looks like I'm just throwing info at you, but this is very likely a minor setup issue that's getting in your way, it's just hard to diagnose....