Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 08-31-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
boatman

boatman is on a distinguished road
Default CID required to make calls?

My SPA2102 cannot make some calls via Voxalot when 'Block CID Setting' is set to yes. This affects only calls that match something in my dial plan. *500, *600, and calls to other voxalot numbers are not affected.

At the same time my other SIP devices (SPA-2000, PAP2, RT31P2) can make the same calls through Voxalot while 'Block CID Setting' is set to yes.

What's the situation with outbound caller ID and Voxalot?
boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman View Post
My SPA2102 cannot make some calls via Voxalot when 'Block CID Setting' is set to yes. This affects only calls that match something in my dial plan. *500, *600, and calls to other voxalot numbers are not affected.

At the same time my other SIP devices (SPA-2000, PAP2, RT31P2) can make the same calls through Voxalot while 'Block CID Setting' is set to yes.

What's the situation with outbound caller ID and Voxalot?
It is not VoXalot specific....

It seems to be an issue with some SPA models. It is either causing the string of numbers you dial to be sent to VoXalot improperly/not sent.... or it is affecting the way your device registers with VoXalot

It could also be becase some providers are using the same field for authorization ID and CID....

Frankly it is a stab in the dark why it is happening with some devices but not others (but it is device specific)
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
boatman

Well, what I know is this;
-----
I can call other Voxalot users without problems.

The only affected calls are those that match some VSP in my Voxalot dial plan.

I can register my ATA directly with my VSP and the calls work even with Block CID Setting set to yes.

When call fails, it's the Voxalot lady voice message that says the call cannot be completed, Voxalot is not even passing the call to the VSP.

Dozens of VSPs can accept 'Block CID Setting' calls from thousands of SPA2102 units across the whole world, but Voxalot cannot.
-----
So it seems obvious it's an issue with Voxalot. It's as if Voxalot was detecting my ATA model, and if that matches SPA2102 then Voxalot require CID in order to send call to the VSP.
Unread 08-31-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
emoci

emoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to allemoci is a name known to all

Quote:
Well, what I know is this;
-----
I can call other Voxalot users without problems.

The only affected calls are those that match some VSP in my Voxalot dial plan.

I can register my ATA directly with my VSP and the calls work even with Block CID Setting set to yes.

When call fails, it's the Voxalot lady voice message that says the call cannot be completed, Voxalot is not even passing the call to the VSP.

Dozens of VSPs can accept 'Block CID Setting' calls from thousands of SPA2102 units across the whole world, but Voxalot cannot.
-----
So it seems obvious it's an issue with Voxalot. It's as if Voxalot was detecting my ATA model, and if that matches SPA2102 then Voxalot require CID in order to send call to the VSP.
Or it could be that these specific devices are not sending the required info to VoXalot to complete the call when Block CID is on, in this case. Remember VoXalot is not any VSP, it is a bridge between you and multiple VSPs....

Regardless of what the problem is, it only happens with some devices (so far SPA2102 nad 3102), and it really isn't that much to worry about
emoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Calls that require authentication and access to your dial plan need the CID. It is an additional level of security that we enforce.

Quote:
Voxalot is not worried about people like me spending days trying to make things work.
This statement is a little unfair. Voxalot are extremely community focused, and work hard to address our members questions and issues.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
boatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Calls that require authentication and access to your dial plan need the CID. It is an additional level of security that we enforce.

This statement is a little unfair. Voxalot are extremely community focused, and work hard to address our members questions and issues.
OK, I've deleted the unfair post, but where is the sticky on this known issue which has already caused many days of difficulty for users such as myself, vxvl, and richard (see post 11866). I am annoyed because Voxalot knew this would cause denial of service to many people and yet did not notify us. Why did Voxalot not post a notice before beginning this policy, which has apparently been implemented recently, probably about the end of July, a few days before richard's post 11866. Why is the CID policy enforced only for SPA2102 and SPA3102 but not for PAP2, SPA-2000, SPA-2002, SPA-841?
Unread 09-01-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
martin

martin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the roughmartin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Why did Voxalot not post a notice before beginning this policy, which has apparently been implemented recently, probably about the end of July, a few days before richard's post 11866. Why is the CID policy enforced only for SPA2102 and SPA3102 but not for PAP2, SPA-2000, SPA-2002, SPA-841?
I'm sorry you wasted 2 days on this, however this is *not* new. In fact the CID requirement has been in place since we went live back in 2006.

I take your point that this requirement should be made more obvious on the web site and as such, I have raised a request for this to be done.

As for the device variation, the ones that are working must be passing the username in the FROM header (which is what we require).

Once again, we apologise and will update the forum and/or web site shortly.

Please post support questions on the forum. Do not send PMs unless requested.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote