Click Here To Visit SIP Broker  

Go Back   Voxalot / SIP Broker Support Forums > Voxalot Forums > Voxalot Support

Voxalot Support Support for the Voxalot service.

Unread 04-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
trottm

trottm is on a distinguished road
Default NTL Voip quality survey

Recently the quality of Voip conversations on my NTL 2Mb connection has become very poor. During peak evening traffic I measured the QOS (from MyVoIPSpeed VoIP connection test, VoIP test, bandwidth test, test VoIP performance, broadband speed test) at 38%.

Moreover if I call a neighbour on his Voxalot account who is also on NTL the quality is almost inaudible at any time of day

I am wondering how many other Voxalot users also suffer with poor quality form NTL. Perhaps all NTL users could let me know whether they have problems or not. Maybe even post the pertinent figures from the above speed test. That way I can call NTL with some facts rather than just a minor complaint. With a bit of luck maybe Martin is an NTL customer and he could make the call? After all he managed to get Betamax to listen and no-one did that before!
trottm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
JeFFJuH

JeFFJuH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottm View Post
With a bit of luck maybe Martin is an NTL customer and he could make the call? After all he managed to get Betamax to listen and no-one did that before!
Martin is from Australia, so he is not an NTL customer. I've seen more people experiencing these kind of problems lately.

It seems to be a problem at NTL's side, and it's not something that VoXaLot can help with.

As I've heard from people, NTL's customer care seems pretty bad, but the only thing I can say: please contact them and let them find out what's wrong.

Could you please post a ping result to eu.voxalot.com from the moment this problem occurs?
JeFFJuH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
tomblandford

tomblandford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tomblandford

My internet was having a bad evening today so I ran the test and got 44% QOS. However, I then stopped a big download and tried again and got 96%. Not bad . Will try again another night.
tomblandford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
kingmonkey

kingmonkey is on a distinguished road

I use virgin media 2MB and I haven't noticed a change in quality. I use G729a
kingmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
tomblandford

tomblandford is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tomblandford

Having another bad evening on call quality (Sunday evening), so tested NTL and got a red mark against QoS with 60%. So break-ups in the sound when calling my Mum which she hates! The download and upload speeds were both about 60% of what I pay for as well. The problem is the contention ratio - NTL/Virgin Media have too many people using the same connection and at popular times that means slower connections for everyone.
tomblandford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #6
trottm

trottm is on a distinguished road

That is very similar to the problems I am experiencing. I am now at my house in Turkey and the call quality back to my street in the UK is way better than on NTL. Yet I only have half the broadband speed here.

Complaining to Virgin is truly painful, have you tried yet?
trottm is offline   Reply With Quote